PDA

View Full Version : please help me start my jeep!

jeepinsl
February 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM
I have a 99 TJ that does not want to start when it gets real cold. Brand new battery (2nd one in 2 months-the place I took it said the first one was bad). When it got real cold <32 about 2 months ago the prob started. I changed the battery then and it warmed up and it started fine. Now it is cold again and will only start when temp over about 30 or if I jump start it. When you turn the key you get lights, radio and a click (just one time does it click) but does not start. Any thoughts??? I really want to drive my jeep again&#33;

Mudgoer
February 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
I&#39;d look at the electrical connections to the starter through the solenoid to make sure they are clean and tight. And check if the starter is getting good ground through tight mounting bolts. Has the starter ever been under water? Maybe the Bendix has marginal function.

Rick

WhiteRhino
February 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Rick is right. That is the first place to look.

Once you get it running, do you know if you are charging?

February 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by WhiteRhino@Feb 2 2005, 09:52 AM
Rick is right. That is the first place to look.

<div align="right">4064
[/quote]
I will have to check on the starter. I did have it stuck in a pretty deep mud hole about 4 months ago. Just seems odd that the prob only exists when temperature drops outside.

WhiteRhino
February 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
If you have water in it, it will bind everything up when it freezes.

Originally posted by Guest+Feb 2 2005, 02:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest &#064; Feb 2 2005, 02:46 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteRhino@Feb 2 2005, 09:52 AM
Rick is right.? That is the first place to look.

<div align="right">4064

I will have to check on the starter. I did have it stuck in a pretty deep mud hole about 4 months ago. Just seems odd that the prob only exists when temperature drops outside.
<div align="right">4079</div>
[/b][/quote]