PDA

View Full Version : Improving your mileage

Creative Fab
January 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
If you have read my sig then you noticed I am towing with a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins 600. While I enjoyed this truck in stock form i just couldnt leave it alone and have added a "chip" as they are called.

The one that i purchased is called the volumizer it has a 60 and 100 horsepower setting as well as a stock position and is made by PDQ performance out of Florida. I also installed an open element air system similar to a K&N fipk.

This unit combined with the air intake has gained me a much needed increase in mileage. In stock form I was getting 10 miles to the gallon pulling our 40' enclosed car hauler, I have increased that to 12-13 mpg and this will just keep increasing as I put more miles on it. Mine only has 13,000.

Empty is where the chip really shines, especially on the 100 horsepower setting. (the 60 setting is to be used for towing, as the 100 would overheat the turbo)
At 70 on the highway I am acheiving 24 mpg, in stock form the best I ever got was 16. From everyone I speak with about deisels is that they will start getting their best mileage around the 50,000 to 80,000 mile mark.

I would highly recommend that if you are driving a deisel truck to look into some "enhancements" you wont be sorry you did.

Next on my list is the 6" exhaust!

For info on where to purchase the Volumizer drop me a line. ironmanent@hotmail.com or send me a PM

Pat

Roadhouse
January 12th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yep, then after the 6" exhaust you need the propane injection, nitrous and larger turbo & cooler. Nothin' like 600+ hp and 900+ ft. lb, out of your tow rig. :D

Mudgoer
January 13th, 2005, 03:56 AM
And a short lived drivetrain. :(

Rick

Creative Fab
January 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
The auto trans will be the first thing to go, no doubt!

The nice thing is that my warranty is for 75,000 miles on the driveline and my dealership overlooks mods to do warranty work. ;)

Roadhouse
January 15th, 2005, 03:49 AM
About a year ago one of the mags did a full blown engine buildup on a Dodge Cummins, the next article they did after the engine mods was rebuilding the tranny. :D

I'm sure your D80 rear axle can handle the power, but Dodge autos aren't the best in stock form.

roll-bar Bob
January 15th, 2005, 08:22 AM
what it truly comes down to is how bad you beat on it !!! :D I have a frend that has 140, k on his auto and he put the Banks kit (+126hp) :huh: on it when it had 20,k and he drags a bobcat for a living. I plan on putting that Banks kit on my Dodge around 20,k :rolleyes: 8, to go ;)

RBB B)

Guest_grandman_*
January 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
My problem with these mods is simple , given the cost you can never recop your investment on fuel savings . If you really want all that power to play with then it's like any thing else , you spend the money to create a smile .

My Dodge is a 99 , with 120 K on it . It has been flawless from day one . I will soon have to put an exhaust system on do to age and rust . I will look into a up grade system at that time but i will not pay huge money for one .

I have yet to see a newer cummins get that 24 mpg figure .

The older trucks with the maual pump lacked the HP figures but there mileage was much better .

Creative Fab
January 31st, 2005, 01:42 PM
On a highway trip last week, empty obiously, I was getting 24.5 with the chip on the 100 setting and the cruise set at 70.

But your right about probably never realizing any dollar savings in mileage vs. the original outlaying of cash unless you put on a ton of miles empty which I do. Towing only will not pay for the chip in increased mileage. I also didnt pay top dollar for this set up. $600 to be exact. But the smile factor is there regardless of cost :D

A friend of mine has the same chip and open element air intake but has the 5" exhuast and transports travel trailers for a living and on his return trips empty are netting him over 30 mpg's with the chip set at 100 horse. He now has 130.000 miles on his 04 and other than the scheduled maintenence hasnt had to do anything to it.

roll-bar Bob
February 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ironman@Jan 31 2005, 01:42 PM
On a highway trip last week, empty obiously, I was getting 24.5 with the chip on the 100 setting and the cruise set at 70.

But your right about probably never realizing any dollar savings in mileage vs. the original outlaying of cash unless you put on a ton of miles empty which I do. Towing only will not pay for the chip in increased mileage. I also didnt pay top dollar for this set up. $600 to be exact. But the smile factor is there regardless of cost :D

A friend of mine has the same chip and open element air intake but has the 5" exhuast and transports travel trailers for a living and on his return trips empty are netting him over 30 mpg's with the chip set at 100 horse. He now has 130.000 miles on his 04 and other than the scheduled maintenence hasnt had to do anything to it.
<div align="right">4043
[/quote]

Ironman

with your chip did you half to drill and tap your exhust header for a censer <_< , or was it plug and play :D

Creative Fab
February 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
This is a plug and play, no drilling&#33;

MachoMan
March 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
the axles won&#39;t be a problem that&#39;s for sure. dodge now uses AAM and the axles are pretty beefy and more reliable then Dana&#39;s.

are they still using the D80 on dually&#39;s?

i thought Banks also had a converter and some other goodies for the Dodge auto.

Creative Fab
March 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM
There is a lot of stuff for the trans, like a whole new one from BD performance, &#036;3000.00 for one that will handle 1000hp and 1500 ft lbs torque

But with the warranty why bother :D

I have never had a problem with Dana axles in my trucks, I have owned 3 Dodge dually&#39;s, I have heard of some through the grapevine though. But then again you here that about anything it seems.

This truck does have the AAM front axle and the D 80 rear.

MachoMan
March 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
me neither. love D60&#39;s.
have heard many problems w/bearing and balljoint failure.