View Full Version : Two trackin tru'da yoopah!

cj7fun
April 19th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Some friends and I are kicking around the idea of a multiday two-trackin' trek through the western UP. Ya know pack the rigs full of gear, camp on the trail and just have some fun. It's been a few years since we've actually done some real TRAIL riding and not beating the rigs up at some ORV park then returning to the designated camping area.

We'd start out from the friend's camp near Michigamee/Negaunee (sp?) and work our way through Baraga/L'Anse and if all goes well into the Keewenau Peninsula. If all really goes well, head out to the Keewenau Point. But definately wind up somewhere on the shores of Lake Superior. Who knows, maybe start from camp and drive to Superior through the woods.

The main goal would be to have fun. Not push the limits of our driving abilities and/or rigs. Sure, if something challenging presents itself we'll take it on. But, if the route we select is a dusty, bumpy flat trail then that's fine too.

I was just wondering if anybody here has embarked on a similar trip through the same areas and could shed some advice for the trip. Yes, we'd aquire camping permits and have county maps. One of the rigs will be HAM radio equipped and have the numbers for emergency/law enforcement in the area.

So far, my biggest concern is encountering an armed irate local that thinks we're on thier property. If anybody is interested in going, let me know and I'll keep ya updated with plans. This would most likely happen around June-July (the peak of black fly season) :D .

Bult4mud
April 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
THAT sounds AWSOME!!!

i can see how the irate local may be a problem but just have a sixer of pabts with ya so you can distract him

have fun

shawn
April 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
That sounds like a blast, and something that could happen anually. I would be very interested, but don't know a whole lot of that area and know nothing of the trails up there. But it would be nice to do a trail ride with the goal being comrodery(sp).

Jeremy
April 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM
I go web wheelin' through da UP every weekend :D

brewmenn
April 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Talk to these guys: http://upjeeping.suddenlaunch.com/

rdnkjeeper
April 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
If you keep us posted I am sure we can get some locals together to help with the crazy locals! :unsure: :P

ZJZJ
April 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
If I ever get a Jeep that runs I would love to do this. I have only been to Drummond and across the upper bridge coming from the Sault. I want to see the real UP at some point.

Bult4mud
April 24th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Ive got a GPS and A glock

rdnkjeeper
April 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Bult4mud@Apr 24 2004, 08:01 AM
Ive got a GPS and A glock
That isn't going to do too much for the irate locals! :D

Bult4mud
April 25th, 2004, 12:58 PM
ya never know a gps could get us back to some main roads and i could show the the HI TECH plastic glock to confuse them long enough to let us get out of there :P

chevotass
April 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM
my freind has a cabin on the bay in L'ance. could be a potential camping spot. well thats only if i have a rig done and money to do it. let us know when u pick a date. my friend also has a trail near his property that dead ends at superior after a really really tough section of mud and rock. just incase ya wanted to know.

cj7fun
May 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Very cool. I have some time as I, too, am reassembling my pile. I'll keep ya guys posted.

It's kinda funny, AFAIK, only three of the guys that responded actually have running rigs. Hmmm, it must be a TJ thing. :lol:

shawn
May 3rd, 2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cj7fun@May 1 2004, 04:45 PM
Very cool. I have some time as I, too, am reassembling my pile. I'll keep ya guys posted.

It's kinda funny, AFAIK, only three of the guys that responded actually have running rigs. Hmmm, it must be a TJ thing. :lol:
Hahaha LOL! I'm one non rig running guy. That is going ot change very shrotly though.

ZJZJ
May 3rd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Well, my GF just bought a 2004 Rubicon, so we do have a running rig now. Just not mine. ;)