PDA

View Full Version : 10th Annual Trail Clean-Up

Jarhead
October 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association is joining forces with the Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club and others in the 10th Annual Trail Clean-Up the Manistee National Forest spanning Blue Lake, Holton, and Cedar Creek Townships in Northern Muskegon County.

Date: Saturday, April 19th, 2008

Time: Registration from 8:00 AM-9:00 AM
Dumpsters are usually full by 4:00 PM

(CarGo Gas Station)

Bring: A vehicle capable of traveling the two tracks of the Manistee National Forest AND transporting refuse to a drop location (Pick up trucks or Jeeps/SUV's with a utility trailer in tow for the trash). Hard Tined Rakes, Shovels, Leather Work Gloves, and Rain Gear.

USMC 0369
October 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
This is the 10th Annual?!!! How cool is that!?

Pictures from previous years? I can't wait to get home to Michigan.

Trail_Fanatic
October 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Here's a few from this year.
I haven't scanned in the previous years.

Blue Lake Township:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/BlueLakeEndOfDay2.jpg

Holton Township:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/holtonEndOfDay.jpg

These had to be cleaned up by Hazmat:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/OilDrums.jpg

Cedar Creek Township:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/CedarCreekEndOfDay.jpg

Our Volunteers:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/LunchPhoto.jpg

Here's the numbers:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/CleanUpData07.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/Adopton07Summary.jpg

RockyTop
October 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Pat, I play a WWII flight sim and Sun night I was talking to some buddies in Ohio. How can I say this politely? Um, I believe 6 folks who aren't even in the GLFWDA are willing to come up and help us out.

Trail_Fanatic
October 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM
That's AWESOME!

Thanks for spreading the word!

:thumb:

DDS4X4
October 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Say ... Way to go Buckeyes!

See ... we're not all bad.

RockyTop
October 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Our Volunteers:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/LunchPhoto.jpg

Who's the studmuffin all the way to the right? I forgot his name.

300Grand
November 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Do you have to be a GLFWD member or a Two Tracker member to show up and help?

Jarhead
November 2nd, 2007, 05:29 AM
Who's the studmuffin all the way to the right? I forgot his name.
:woot::woot:

Jarhead
November 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
Do you have to be a GLFWD member or a Two Tracker member to show up and help?
No, we can and will gladly use any help we have.

Trail_Fanatic
November 2nd, 2007, 06:00 AM
No, we can and will gladly use any help we have.

X2 !!

n8big
January 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I will be there also!!!!!

You can count on the Off-Road community to come together and help fight for our right to Off-Road!

srlbotanical
January 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am hoping my son and I can make it.

phazer42
February 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
I will be there :-) (potentially bringing some other Hummer friends as well)

muddywater
February 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM
hey ill be in that area on the day of so i would love to come out and help. pm me all the info you can and how to sign up and ill be there. missed out last year but this year im all in. i have a ranger so im setup for trail cleanup. plus my nickname is junkyarddog cuase i carry so much junk in my truck.

brewmenn
February 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I plan on bring there. I can bring my Jeep or my trailer but not both. If someone has a spare seat and can tow my utility trailer out on the trails I'll bring it over. Otherwise I'll be towing the jeep over.

Jarhead
February 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I plan on bring there. I can bring my Jeep or my trailer but not both. If someone has a spare seat and can tow my utility trailer out on the trails I'll bring it over. Otherwise I'll be towing the jeep over.
I've got room and a hitch...

Trail_Fanatic
February 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Our March meeting is the first Tuesday of the month.
We'll be settling the final details then and I'll get them up soon after.

Trail_Fanatic
March 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/Flier-5.jpg

Trail_Fanatic
March 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/AdoptionSummary2008.jpg

brewmenn
April 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I've got room and a hitch...

OK so I'll plan on meeting up with you at the meeting place and riding with you while you tow my trailer.:thumb:

Trail_Fanatic
April 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Might want to bring a few $$ too.

We're selling T Shirts to raise funds for next year's event.

oz97tj
April 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm coming, but I would like to hop in with somebody once we go into the trails. I'm sure my WK will go out there just fine, but from what I understand there is normally more vehicles than needed anyway. Anybody have an extra seat?

Trail_Fanatic
April 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm coming, but I would like to hop in with somebody once we go into the trails. I'm sure my WK will go out there just fine, but from what I understand there is normally more vehicles than needed anyway. Anybody have an extra seat?

Mention it at registration and we can get you paired up with someone.

MIhummer
April 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm coming, will a 7x12 ft utility trailer w/ 16" sides fit the trails OK?

How 'bout a 4x8 enclosed trailer? Would one work better than the other?

Trail_Fanatic
April 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
The 7x12 would be a LOT easier to load and unload.

THANK YOU for your support!

This year is going to be HUGE!

We're having some SWEET giveaways to thank our volunteers.
The NFS is giving us a national award at lunch.
The press and many politicians (including Representative Hansen)will be out to take a tour of the event.
We have around $500,000 worth of 2008 Hummers, Jeeps, FJ Cruisers, and Land Rovers with hired company drivers being donated from Grand Rapids dealerships to chafer the politicians and news crews around.
It's like having two events on the same day.
A TON of logistics, but it's going to be great!

MIhummer
April 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Can't wait, see you all next week.

Trail_Fanatic
April 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Can't wait, see you all next week.

Pray for sun!

Laurel
April 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
The kids and I plan on being there. I just have to replace a tire on the trailer. (6x8 utility trailer with high sides.)

oz97tj I sent you a PM, you are welcome to ride with us, we don't bite. :wave:

oz97tj
April 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch. I may end up taking you up on your offer. I'll probably show up and see who has room. What time are you planning on showing up?

Also, is anything going on Saturday night after the cleanup if over?

I've never really met any of you in person and am coming alone.:confused: lol. I'm just going to camp in the back of my WK because I'm thinking it'll be a bit chilly for a tent. Does anybody have anything going on that I could potentially join in on? I'd hate to have to sit around being bored Saturday night until the meeting Sunday morning...

Trail_Fanatic
April 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch. I may end up taking you up on your offer. I'll probably show up and see who has room. What time are you planning on showing up?

Also, is anything going on Saturday night after the cleanup if over?

I've never really met any of you in person and am coming alone.:confused: lol. I'm just going to camp in the back of my WK because I'm thinking it'll be a bit chilly for a tent. Does anybody have anything going on that I could potentially join in on? I'd hate to have to sit around being bored Saturday night until the meeting Sunday morning...

Funny you should ask!
Jeff VanderSloot, Acting Past President of the Club, is going to hold a geocashing run after the Clean Up's over.

I found out that my Aunt Alice's 70th birthday bash is scheduled for that Saturday night, so I'm screwed out of doing anything afterward.

Laurel
April 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm going to be at my parents in Grand Rapids for the weekend so I'll be missing the meeting on Sunday.

oz97tj
April 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Funny you should ask!
Jeff VanderSloot, Acting Past President of the Club, is going to hold a geocashing run after the Clean Up's over.

I found out that my Aunt Alice's 70th birthday bash is scheduled for that Saturday night, so I'm screwed out of doing anything afterward.

hmmm, I don't have a GPS. :banghead:

Trail_Fanatic
April 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I'm going to be at my parents in Grand Rapids for the weekend so I'll be missing the meeting on Sunday.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/gnjeepn/smiley/Crying4.gif

We'll miss your input at the meeting.
It's wonderful to get fresh faces and new ideas.
It'll be dang nice to see you at the Clean up though!
Make sure you find me and say hi at some point. :thumb:

Laurel
April 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I will do that, thanks!

I do have a GPS, we LOVE to Geocache and may just have to join in on Saturday night...hrmmm...oz97tj, you can still ride with us. :idea:

phazer42
April 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
if anyone in the oakland county area needs a trailer towed up there let me know.... if I had one I would bring it.... so... as of right now I have an empty hitch....

Greenway
April 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Are we going to be needing branch loppers or chain saws?

Trail_Fanatic
April 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Are we going to be needing branch loppers or chain saws?

Not necessary.
Slightly different type of event.

Maintenance = pruning, clearing, signing, and general improvement of ORV Routes

Clean Up = Pick up trash, tires, and other man-made crap out of woods along County Unimproved and NFS Forest Roads.

This is just trash removal.
Shingles are a huge PITA so we use Bobcats for those.
They take a tremendous amount of man-hours to pick up manually for the size of the pile.

Pick up trucks are the handiest thing to have; a jeep with a small utility trailer would probably be second. Even if you don't have any transport, your hands can aid someone who does. We've add a new road this year and it's a dump. It would be easy to place people there to just help fill vehicles who shuffle the loads to the dumpsters.

muddywater
April 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM
hey trail fanatic some of the guys from cheap thrills are gonna be attending. we plan on doing our part to keep this open for all of us to wheel on.

Laurel
April 14th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Looks like I'm out for Geocaching, going to go pick up some parts in Allendale afterwards. I have a feeling the kids are going to be pretty pooped by the end of the day as it is.
Speaking of kids, they are SO excited about this. We carry garbage bags with us when we trail ride/geocache etc and they can't wait until Saturday.

Trail_Fanatic
April 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
hey trail fanatic some of the guys from cheap thrills are gonna be attending. we plan on doing our part to keep this open for all of us to wheel on.

AWESOME!
It'll be great to see you guys.

Looks like I'm out for Geocaching, going to go pick up some parts in Allendale afterwards. I have a feeling the kids are going to be pretty pooped by the end of the day as it is.
Speaking of kids, they are SO excited about this. We carry garbage bags with us when we trail ride/geocache etc and they can't wait until Saturday.

Don't worry about bags this time.
Or gloves, or rain ponchos.
They'll be available at registration, if needed.

GREAT to see kids along too!
I love to see them learn to love and care for the Forests.

Laurel
April 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Looks like we might need those rain ponchos. :(
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Twin+Lake&state=MI&site=GRR&textField1=43.369&textField2=-86.1799

Ya'll can blame me, I took the hard top off the jeep tonight without checking the weekend forecast first.

Trail_Fanatic
April 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Put it back on!!!!

:lmao:

The chance of rain has been getting lower each day I see the forecast though.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/gnjeepn/smiley/Promis1.gif

AT LEAST IT'S NOT http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/gnjeepn/smiley/Snow1.gif!!!

I was actually starting to worry about that til less than 2 weeks ago! :ahhh:

joe_jeep
April 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
trail fanatic wont need a poncho. hes gonna just wear his speedo!:thumb:

Laurel
April 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
trail fanatic wont need a poncho. hes gonna just wear his speedo!:thumb:

:bootyshake:

Eek....

The soft top has been hanging in the garage all winter long, my tourette's
kicked in about half way but no blood was drawn at least.

Trail_Fanatic
April 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/gnjeepn/smiley/Puke2.gif

Nobody wants to see my skinny, polar-white, little, chicken legs!

Trail_Fanatic
April 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM
my tourette's
kicked in about half way but no blood was drawn at least.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/gnjeepn/smiley/Laughing2.gif

Trail_Fanatic
April 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
WOW!!!

What a FANTASTIC turn out!!!

I looked out the door at 9:00am (the 'supposed' end of registration) and couldn't see the end of the line!

I know I saw all of you, but the day was such a blur of activity, I don't remember 5 minutes of the entire thing! I hope you all had a good enough time to come back next year. This is REALLY starting to draw the attention of both decision and policy makers - in a great way!

181 people signed in with an estimated 3,580 man hours of labor donated for the event.

:yourock:

We hauled 100 cubic yards of trash, 645 tires, and 35 gallons of an unknown liquid I'm going to list as oil.

We turned over 3 pieces of evidence that will hopefully lead to citations.

The National Forest Service brought out a fire truck for the kids, as well as sending 2 people to work, a PR person from the head office, and Les Russell - the Baldwin District Ranger. They presented the Two Trackers with the Gold Level (Highest) Presidential Volunteer Award that came with a gorgeous plaque and a letter from President Bush. They also presented an official Forest Service edition Leatherman to me for acting as lead coordinator over the last decade. Baldwin Interdisciplinary Team Leader, Christopher Frederick, even took the time to sit down and compose a beautiful poem titled "The Volunteer Spirit of the Forest" just for the event(Below this post).

The DNR sent out both of the COs who work the project area. I thought that it was an especially nice gesture considering it was supposed to be Mr. Simpson's day off!

I'd like to thank:

Geoff Hansen - State Representative 100th District
Mary Valentine - State Representative 91st District
David Farhat - President Muskegon Chapter Pheasants Forever, Former State Representative 91st District
Jan Kutnz - Republican Party Senator Van VanWoerkom's Office
Charles Buzzell - Muskegon County Commissioner District 2
Marvin Engle - Muskegon County Commissioner District 5
Don Studaven - Blue Lake Township Supervisor
Marion Knash - Blue Lake Township Assessor
Kate Kremmel - Cedar Creek Township Zoning Administrator
Sharon Ackerman - Cedar Creek Township Treasurer
Jim Muston - Cedar Creek Township Supervisor
Kate Salm - Forest Service Public Relations Officer
Less Russell - Forest Service Baldwin District Ranger
Chris Fredericks - Forest Service Baldwin District Interdisciplinary Team Leader
Kathy Bietau - Forest Service Baldwin Trails Coordinator
Chris Pearson - Peterson's Off Road Magazine Reporter

- for their attendance and assistance in raising awareness of illegal dumping and the Michigan Coalition for Clean Forests program.

The Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club's Clean Up Committee - there's NO way I could have done this alone!

ALL of our financial and raffle donors: Star Customs, Forest Hills Foods, Pot Luck Pick Up, SWS Waste Services, Kool Toyota, Van Andel & Flikema Jeep, Harvey Hummer, and over 30 others!

I'd like to ESPECIALLY thank all of YOU!

We couldn't do it without you!

Laurel
April 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Wow is right Pat!
Awesome day, the kids are ready for next year all ready!

Trail_Fanatic
April 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/VolunteerSpiritoftheForest.jpg

Laurel
April 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Chris was awesome, both he and Kathy were a lot of fun to ride with.

Trail_Fanatic
April 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Shows that the people who are closing trails are actually good folks - they just need us to "educate" them on what we want kept.

Kathy is the Recreation Planner for the Baldwin District.
She has to sign off on any new route designatin we want to do in the future. I'll bet she's a lot more willing now!

MIhummer
April 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Me & my kids had a great time, met lots of fun people & enjoyed helping out, glad we could be a part of it...it taught them a great deal about our responsibilities to the outdoors...couldn't believe the loads of crap we hauled out of that Dalton area...it was a shame to see it all there, and disheartening that we couldn't get it all.

Thanks Pat, great job coordinating! We'll be there next year.

Trail_Fanatic
April 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
You people ROCK!

Every year I'm AMAZED at your generosity and dedication to the trails and the event.

I can't thank you enough for coming out!

YOU are the TRUE environmentalists!

Preliminary totals look like 150 yards of trash and 525 tires this year.

I have to figure the shingle amount yet.

That brings us to 900 cubic yards and 3,450 tires total for the event's run!

That's AWESOME!

Registrations were down roughly 17%, but with the economy in the crapper, that's a lot less loss than I thought we might see. I was worried we might see as much as a 50% reduction.

But no, you care too much to let that happen.

To be honest; I find it touching.

This year, I would have NEVER imagined that 90 cubic yards of dumpster space wouldn't hold the trash from ONE teany, tiny, short, little, lousy piece of road!

I have to laugh at myself for being a poor judge of space, I guess . . .

I thought 3, 30 yard dumpsters would be enough for both the nasty road and the dead end counterpart (on the south side of that same little lake) to be completely cleaned.

BOY! Was I wrong!

I can DEFINITELY tell you were there, but there's still so much more to be done!

There was a little dead end trail not far from the Area 10 Dumpsters that I have NEVER been down because the trash pile blocking it predates my having a driver's license. It's now open, so I went down it . . .

Right to another area FILLED with crap!

The amount of trash out there is absolutely U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E-!!!

BUT!!!

IT IS WORKING!

The volunteers in Area 4 spent 2-1/2 hours driving every trail in their area - and didn't even find so much as an empty cigarette wrapper! That place was just as trashed as many of the roads in Area 10 (well maybe not quite THAT bad).

Now? NOTHING BUT FOREST!

SO, I guess that brings us to the question . . .

Do we want to keep at it and go out again next year?

Trail_Fanatic
April 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
We'll be there next year.

Thanks!
Guess we have your vote!

jeepfreak81
April 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
WOW!!!

What a FANTASTIC turn out!!!

I looked out the door at 9:00am (the 'supposed' end of registration) and couldn't see the end of the line!

I know I saw all of you, but the day was such a blur of activity, I don't remember 5 minutes of the entire thing! I hope you all had a good enough time to come back next year. This is REALLY starting to draw the attention of both decision and policy makers - in a great way!

181 people signed in with an estimated 3,580 man hours of labor donated for the event.

:yourock:

We hauled 100 cubic yards of trash, 645 tires, and 35 gallons of an unknown liquid I'm going to list as oil.

We turned over 3 pieces of evidence that will hopefully lead to citations.

The National Forest Service brought out a fire truck for the kids, as well as sending 2 people to work, a PR person from the head office, and Les Russell - the Baldwin District Ranger. They presented the Two Trackers with the Gold Level (Highest) Presidential Volunteer Award that came with a gorgeous plaque and a letter from President Bush. They also presented an official Forest Service edition Leatherman to me for acting as lead coordinator over the last decade. Baldwin Interdisciplinary Team Leader, Christopher Frederick, even took the time to sit down and compose a beautiful poem titled "The Volunteer Spirit of the Forest" just for the event(Below this post).

The DNR sent out both of the COs who work the project area. I thought that it was an especially nice gesture considering it was supposed to be Mr. Simpson's day off!

I'd like to thank:

Geoff Hansen - State Representative 100th District
Mary Valentine - State Representative 91st District
David Farhat - President Muskegon Chapter Pheasants Forever, Former State Representative 91st District
Jan Kutnz - Republican Party Senator Van VanWoerkom's Office
Charles Buzzell - Muskegon County Commissioner District 2
Marvin Engle - Muskegon County Commissioner District 5
Don Studaven - Blue Lake Township Supervisor
Marion Knash - Blue Lake Township Assessor
Kate Kremmel - Cedar Creek Township Zoning Administrator
Sharon Ackerman - Cedar Creek Township Treasurer
Jim Muston - Cedar Creek Township Supervisor
Kate Salm - Forest Service Public Relations Officer
Less Russell - Forest Service Baldwin District Ranger
Chris Fredericks - Forest Service Baldwin District Interdisciplinary Team Leader
Kathy Bietau - Forest Service Baldwin Trails Coordinator
Chris Pearson - Peterson's Off Road Magazine Reporter

- for their attendance and assistance in raising awareness of illegal dumping and the Michigan Coalition for Clean Forests program.

The Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club's Clean Up Committee - there's NO way I could have done this alone!

ALL of our financial and raffle donors: Star Customs, Forest Hills Foods, Pot Luck Pick Up, SWS Waste Services, Kool Toyota, Van Andel & Flikema Jeep, Harvey Hummer, and over 30 others!

I'd like to ESPECIALLY thank all of YOU!

We couldn't do it without you!

Pat, do they do any advertising of the event in the local general area? IE posting signs on the roads to be cleaned for the day of the event? I was airing up my tire in area 10 and had some locals stop to ask what we were doing. When I told them they asked me to pass on a HUGE THANK YOU as they said it has been this way for years and getting worse.

Might be cool even just to have some posterboard signs saying 'Trail cleanup in progress' or something so the locals know whats going on and that someone cares. :thumb:

Trail_Fanatic
April 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Not a whole lot, but some.

I was REALLY tired last night when I came home and posted this.
Doug pointed out that I posted it to LAST years Clean Up post.

Oops! :banghead:

I'll continue this over in the right thread.