PDA

View Full Version : Is 4 enough

jeepinsl
December 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I am ready to start some improvements on my TJ but am wondering this first. I have a 2.5 L 4 cylinder. Is this enough engine to push larger tires (33s) both in the trails and down the highway? This is still a daily driver and limited time off road vehicle. Any thoughts?

brewmenn
December 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Manual or automatic? I think you would be fine with a 5sp manual but it might not work to well wit han auto.

I've seen people run as big as 40's in jeeps with 4 bangers but I'm not sure how well it does on the highway. A lot of it depends on what gears your running and what type of wheeling you like to do.

Mudgoer
December 20th, 2004, 03:36 AM
An experienced 4 banger driver I know is Aaron Young of Alpena. He did a lot of highway as well as offroading, including rock crawling with his Jeep. He named it "4 Bangler".
He has a shop called " Custom 4x4 Solutions". Give him a call at (989) 358-1095 and ask.

Rick

Roadhouse
December 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM
Dont know if Matt(Det6riot) is on this board or not.......but he has proven a 4cyl is plenty with the right gearing. His is a manual, with 40" MTR's, with 5.86 gears. I know he drove it all the way to Canada two years ago, with a group trailering thier rigs. They all broke with big block power(thank god they trailered), and Matt drove home with know problems.

December 23rd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys for all of your input. I appreciate it. Now time to work on the TJ so I can meet you on the trails in the new year.