PDA

View Full Version : MI Jeeper at heart...

USMC 0369
September 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone...just thought I'd post up my 'formal' introduction. I'm a displaced Michi-gander while serving in the Corps. My current location is 29 Palms, CA...often referred to as 'the stumps'. Retirement is coming up soon (1.5 years) and I hope to be in the Michigan 4x4 scene very soon.

I'm working on my Jeep(s) right now so not much wheeling to be done from this end for a while.

One benefit I can bring to the table is that the NFS here in California, in conjunction with local clubs and California Off-Road Vehicle Association (CORVA), are light years ahead of the rest of the country on their Trail Development and Conservation Program. I realize that dealing with California's BLM is a might bit different from dealing with Michigans DNR.

RockyTop
September 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Welcome and Congrats!

First off, Thank you for serving. Second, awesome work so far out in the state of California.

USMC 0369
September 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well, it wasn't me doing all that work on California...For a bunch of liberal's they do bond together quite nicely when they're freedoms are being tread upon.

Rattler
September 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Thank you and welcome!

Jarhead
September 10th, 2007, 05:01 AM
:wave:Hello and Welcome!

We will gladly accept any help or recommendations...

SEMPER FI

calvynandhobbs
September 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Welcome Aboard. It's good to see you here. I remember when I was stationed out in the stumps. Congrats on coming up on retirement soon.

Roger

Trail_Fanatic
September 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Nick!
(It has to be Nick, right?:poke:)

Glad to see you made it!

DieselMTU
September 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM
WELCOME

AND THANK YOU

:yourock:

USMC 0369
September 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the warm reception gents. Yes, it is 'Nick' and I don't mind if you call me that! ;)

I'm looking forward to retirement from the Corps, but as you all know, that's not gonna pay the bills...I hope I can come home to Michigan, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of jobs for a Grunt. I may end up down by Chicago if the Gov doesn't fix things soon.

Who'd have thought that the Governator would do a better job than someone thats tried to be a politician all thier life?

Rattler
September 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Who'd have thought that the Governator would do a better job than someone thats tried to be a politician all thier life?

:laughing2:

Not sure which icon is Jenny From The Block's?:ahhh: or:bootyshake:

lbfin88
September 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Nick, welcome and thank you for your service.
Semper Fi

USMC 0369
September 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Nick, welcome and thank you for your service.
Semper Fi

I'm speaking for most military members when I say...You're Welcome, and it's our pleasure to do what we do.

joe_jeep
September 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM
our economy is in the toilet! so is our housing market. you should be able to get some land or a home cheap! welcome back when ya make it home!
and thank you for your service to us all!

USMC 0369
September 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Actually, I've been pricing land in Michigan for a while... I guess people think they can charge someone (out of staters I guess) an arm and a leg for land.

When I first started looking for land...I could get it for about $3K an acre. Now...I just looked at an ad for some land near GR for $200K on a 3/4 acre lot. :hysterical:

Trail_Fanatic
September 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
It all depends on how close to town you want to be and if you want electricity, natural gas, water and sewer available to the lot.

Rustic is going for around 3,000 an acre by my cabin, but it's WAY more to have utilities down around town.

USMC 0369
September 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM
It all depends on how close to town you want to be and if you want electricity, natural gas, water and sewer available to the lot.

Rustic is going for around 3,000 an acre by my cabin, but it's WAY more to have utilities down around town.

My family owns a cabin in West Branch on M33 at the intersection of M33 & M55. Behind "Ivan's Place"...which is my great grandfather. Currently my uncle owns it; and I want to buy it from him pretty bad. I'd actually PREFER something rural, but I'll need electric, gas and an drain field (are those still legal in Michigan? They're not here.)

However, my concern is getting a damn job. I'll have to use my GI Bill money and to go UTI or DeVry or something like that.

Trail_Fanatic
September 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
You can have a drain field - as long as the land passes the "perk" test and drains well. They're still very common in rural Michigan.