PDA

View Full Version : Another Victory in Michigan

Trail_Fanatic
August 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I received confirmation from Ken Hulka, Manager, Muskegon County Road Commission that the Muskegon CRC has moved to uphold citizen's right to utilize all of the County's road system.

While conducting their annual Adopt-A-Forest and Adopt-A-Road event, the Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club found six 'Unimproved' County roads that were illegally obstructed without the County Road Commission's knowledge.

The CRC granted the Two Trackers permission to remove all of the obstructions. Five were removed successfully. One experienced 'complications' that required the CRC's involvement.

Three obstructions were replaced within a week and a letter was received from the adjoining land owner's attorney stating that it was his client's view that the roads in question were abandoned.

The County Road Commission and the Township both insist that they have not been abandoned and are legal roads that should be open to the public.

Mr. Hulka confirms that the process required to remove the obstruction from the road that experienced 'complications' had been approved by the Commission and that road would be open by next spring/ summer. He further verified that those roads that were immediately re-obstructed would be cleared by the end of the year with an accompanying letter from the CRC's Attorney informing the landowner's attorney that the CRC has NO record of ANY abandonment approval for any of the roads in question. They are County Roads and their obstruction is a crime.

This effort, combined with the Two Tracker's effort, will have the net effect of adding 7 miles of unimproved, two track roads and 8 decision points to the "rustic" public transportation system.

A "Decision Point" is an intersection where a driver must 'decide' which way to go. The more decision points in a system, the less likely users are to encounter one another. This creates a more secluded, 'rustic' experience.

Rattler
August 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Good news. Sounds like someone needs to learn where his property ends.

Got a map of where it is?

Trail_Fanatic
August 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Best I can do on short notice.
The first is Staple Road (lightly circled) just north of Twin Lake, the second is just east of Twin Lake.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/StapleRdDeLormeCloseUpcircled.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/CedarCreekObstructionswithlegend-fi.jpg

Jarhead
August 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM
We are lucky to have you...:yourock:

DieselMTU
September 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I wonder how many roads are currently "obstructed" in this state without permission or knowledge.

Trail_Fanatic
September 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
I wonder how many roads are currently "obstructed" in this state without permission or knowledge.

DARN good question!

Want to help start looking for them???

DieselMTU
September 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
MY eyes are open!

:eek:

Troll53
September 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
:thumb:

NewRide
September 5th, 2007, 06:21 AM
DARN good question!

Want to help start looking for them???

Yes , yes I do .... how can I and or my Jeep club help ??

navy-jeepster
September 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Good job on finding these roads, and working with the proper officials to reopen them properly.

Todd

UFWDA
Dir of EA

Trail_Fanatic
September 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks all.

If you want to look for others, just ask your county if their free map shows all of their roads.

If it doesn't, contact me for one that does. I buy 'antique' county maps just for this reason.

If it does, get one and look at the unimproved and seasonal roads for obstructions.

If you find an obstruction, contact the CRC and ask for verification that it is still a road.

If it is, tell them about the obstruction.

Then it's just a matter of verifying that it gets reopened and if not; why.

That requires a bit more frequent involvement and communication.

Attending CRC meetings can help sway the process greatly too.

timbercruiser
September 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I was exploring my county roads today and found some good ones. Got the DD cruiser dirty!