PDA

View Full Version : Looking to go to Canada October 5th and 6th

ssjeepfreek
August 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Im with Tri City Trailriders and looking to go up to Canada October 4th, wheel 5th and 6th and leave Sunday the 7th. There are 2 or 3 of us who would like to go. I was up 3 years ago at Gitchee and loved it but dont k know my way around. Is anything planned or anyone going who would not mind a couple more jeeps tagging along? Looking to do trail 3s ie trussel, mine, and anything to that degree of difficulty. TWay or TimberCruiser are you out there? Please let me know, Thanks Rick.:wave:

Jarhead
August 29th, 2007, 05:26 AM
October 6th is the Troll's Fall color Tour.

October 7th is our Quarterly Membership Meeting.

Bump till the following weekend?

ssjeepfreek
August 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I already have the vacation through work. Kinda planned earlier in the year and screwed up.

T-way
September 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Sorry dude...but like Bob said, the 6th is our clubs Fall Color Tour! So.....all of the Trolls will be staying BELOW the bridge that weekend!!!

And the 8th is my birthday, so feel free to send gifts!!!

:ahhh:

ssjeepfreek
September 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for reply-Happy Birthday. Sounds like a group is going up and we can be a tag a long. Thanks through.

Wayne
September 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Who from Tri City Trail Riders was going?

Jarhead
September 6th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Who from Tri City Trail Riders was going?
ssjeepfreek started this thread.

ssjeepfreek
September 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM
hey wayne,
Me and keith are a go, steve is a ?. Tab and pat sounds like they are going, but with another group to explore and stay overnight in the trails. I found out I have a high school friend with swamp stompers and he will be there and hook us up. Be great to have you up. Rick

kb8ymf
September 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Just in case you didn't see this over on the GL4X4 site, this is a heads up for all who are going to Canada. Could be especially tough as most of these trails are the ones everyone up there come to drive.

If your headed north to Canada to wheel, don't even think of going to PIW, Behind the Falls, Short Cut, Whitman Dam Falls trail, Golf Lake, or any other trail we've run before that is in the vicinity of Goulias River. The latest MNR, (Minestry of Natural Resources, our DNR equivalent) released in March 2007 the Algoma Headwaters Signature Site Approved Management Plan. Algoma Headwaters site is basically a chunk of property about 100+ miles north into the Canadian bush and then runs south along the Goulias River to Searchmont. The protected area is approx 400 meters from the C/L of the river on each side. It states that only certain roads will be authorized for travel by ATV's, RUV's, Snowmobiles, and full size vehicles.
These roads are identified in the plan which I can spell out if there is enough interest of you can visit the Algoma Headwaters Signature Site website @

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/algom_planning.html

and read more about it.
It also states that any roads NOT identified in the plan AND within the boundries of the park shall be defacto closed and allowed to naturally regenerate.

While Great Lakes 4WD Assn filed comments on the plan, overwhelming environmental issues arose from the suggested use of East Goulias River Road. This road is/was the access point or termination point for all the trails I mentioned above. Additionally, because Great Lakes 4WD Assn and myself were identified and sent a personal letter as a participant we should consider ourselves forwarned. They wil be watching just as they were last year when all the warning were given out. Just living in Michigan, the MNR will assume that we're all part of the same group, just like snowmobilers.
The warning period is over. If you go, please steer clear of the Goulias River and the trails north/east of Searchmont up to the Ranger North Conservation reserve and Algoma Headwaters.
jim-kb8ymf

grandman
September 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
hey SS , i am one of the swamp stompers , who is it you went to school with ?

I know you had inquired about going with us . Sounds like Murphy will not be able to make it and thats who you had asked prior .

ssjeepfreek
September 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Mike Branch (tippy),
I hope we can make a weekend of it. Understanding most of Searchmont(? on spelling) trails are closed.

grandman
September 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Mike Branch (tippy),
I hope we can make a weekend of it. Understanding most of Searchmont(? on spelling) trails are closed.

Ah i see , Mike's dad lives up here near me . Did business with him for years .

No the area Jim is talking about really is only 1 of the trials i normally run up there . Searchmont is a pretty good hump from blueberry any way .

I didnt know Mike was going to canada .

Not sure about leaders that know the area , my group is all ready full . Murph knows the area if he can make it .

canadian_jeeper
September 23rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
If you want to come up to Canada we have a run planned on private property from mild to wild get a hold of me live in the Sault everyone will be staying at Glenview Cabins if your interested.

95geo
September 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
If you want to come up to Canada we have a run planned on private property from mild to wild get a hold of me live in the Sault everyone will be staying at Glenview Cabins if your interested.

I have seen what you guys consider "mild" :hysterical: I couldnt make it up the "easy" trail. :poke:

and my rig is FAR from helpless in any situation.

canadian_jeeper
September 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well they do have alot of go arounds if you don't think you can make it, also could hook you up with another guy with some private property with alot milder trails if interested. also my rig is nothing special locked rear open front and 36" iroks on a jeep.

WhiteRhino
September 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
canadian jeeper, are you Vincent?

I have been to Charlene's property and Curly has invited us. Where is the milder property located?

ssjeepfreek
September 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hey guys,
Have reservations at blueberry. No plans for friday yet but saturday we have a club run that has been planned. Thinking of the trussel trail for friday but not yet commited.

canadian_jeeper
September 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
The milder property i was refering to is off Old Goulais Bay Road, if interested let me know and i will see what the property owner is doing that weekend.

Victor

WhiteRhino
September 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
The milder property i was refering to is off Old Goulais Bay Road, if interested let me know and i will see what the property owner is doing that weekend.

Victor

I know that area pretty well. How far south of pine shores? Or is it in close to town south of the ridge? I thought everything in between belonged to a logging company.

Interested.
Jim

canadian_jeeper
September 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Closer to the Sault

timbercruiser
September 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Victor
Hey, is that road still open? I heard there was a sign saying "private road".