PDA

View Full Version : Creative ways to find legal wheeling areas

kenton
November 30th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Hey,

I've been trying to think of ways to find new wheeling areas. What do people think of this idea? Find large landowners in the area of interest (individuals, businesses) and contact them with this kind of story:

"Hello [PersonX],
I am a member of the Great Lakes Fourwheel Drive Association, a dues-paying group headquartered in Midland Michigan.
Would you consider allowing private organizations on your property, if insurance and liability were covered? Do you need help in clearing trash (large and small), rocks, trees, etc from the area? We would like to volunteer for activities like that, for free. What do we get in exchange? Not only do we enjoy cleaning up the environment, but we also get an opportunity to practice our hobby: the clean-up may be off-road and require four wheel drive, and involve extraction (winching) of objects. We are family-oriented, and have a history of successfully doing similar activities, safely and responsibly."

What do you think? Does that sound at all interesting? Does it sound useless, am I too naive? Has anyone tried this? Am I forgetting something big? I'm thinking for example of Consumers Power and transmission right of ways, Government groups like National Guard areas, Forests and Parks, private companies with large unused areas of land.

Thanks,
Kenton

WhiteRhino
November 30th, 2004, 06:52 PM
On the surface, I think it is an idea with merit. However, my feeling is that we would end up doing more of a work weekend than a recreation. The idea of using winches and 4 wheel drive is appealing, but I doubt that there is much of that in comparison to clearing brush and cutting with chain saws, etc.
In exchange for our efforts, I would be suprised to see a land owner let us use his property as a scramble area.

The power companies would probably consider it a legal nightmare and the government has too much red tape.

Now that I have sounded like an eternal pesimist, I congratulate you on creative thinking and would encourage you to give it some research.

Are you naive? How could anyone say that without a little effort.

Go for it!

Timbr Wolf
November 30th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Unless someone can think of a good reason to not use G.L. name in connection with this approach, I say you probably have a land owner in mind so try the approach and let us know what responce you get.

yogi
December 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM
DITTO :D

yogi

toolmantim
December 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
How's this for creative...

A guy I play poker with every fri. and have known for years (neighborhood) runs a crew of heavy equip. at various quarries(sp?) in N ohio and S mich. I got into an intresting conversation with him last poker night about the possibility of land use by 4wd club on some old land, and ground they have already cleared off site, that kind of stuff. Apparently he is in pretty good with the owner of co. and said he would run it by him. I mentioned to him that I was not sure about any liability issues in depth but I know some clubs already have thier own insurance, and alot of clubs will be willing to sign waivers for liability. He gave me the impession that the people he work's for are "4x4 friendly." :)

I am going to do what I can to promote our 4wd community as professional, experianced, and basically as a group of people that enjoy finding places to wheel and do so in a safe as possible manner.

Nothing at all may come of this, but I am cautiosly optomistic. I am not very educated in the legalalities in something like this, so I made be in need of assistance from some of our senior members if I can get the ball rolling.

If anyone want's to chime in on this I will be taking any and all advice on ways to make this a reality. I think that if we could make this happen....lot's of perfect unused land.

yogi
December 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
wow sounds good tim .biggest thing is getting owners over the liabilty issuse.old quarrys would be a great place to wheel :D

yogi

WhiteRhino
December 6th, 2004, 09:30 AM
The quarries sound the best yet!

Roadhouse
December 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by WhiteRhino@Dec 6 2004, 10:30 AM
The quarries sound the best yet!
<div align="right">3563
[/quote]

Good work Tim. I really don&#39;t know a lot about our insurance, so I couldn&#39;t help you too much there. Pat or Paul would be best to help you with the liability issues. Send Pat and email if you have any questions or call the 800#.

Creative Fab
December 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I have wanted to pursue this for some time now but havent had the chance since being in "office" if you will. Liability wise we would have to list the property owner as an additionally insured and probably have some additional cost for the policy but for what we would be getting that would be minimal.

This idea is being used at the Roush Creek ORV park in PA. Look them up on the internet and contact them for answers on how to approach the land owner.
When Joe C. and I were at this years United Convention the folks that run Raush Creek put on a presentation for us at one of the dinners. They told how they went about it and that the ins. was the biggest hurdle, well we are about to get a new policy so that shouldnt be a problem.

Somebody run with this as I do not have the time right now. I will take care of the ins. end of it if we get that far.

Git R Done&#33;

Pat Kinne
Pres. GLFWDA

kenton
December 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks Timberwolf, I do, and I&#39;m planning to follow up on it. &#39;Course, it&#39;s not as good as what Tim may be lining up.

(By the way Vic, I rode with you on GG&#39;02, I had the rusty black Toyota 4Runner. We used my winch and two pulleys to drag your nephew&#39;s Cherokee over a big rock stuck in a mudhole, if I recall. You did a great job leading, thanks for the memories&#33;)

Later,
Kenton

Originally posted by Timbr Wolf@Nov 30 2004, 07:52 PM
Unless someone can think of a good reason to not use G.L. name in connection with this approach, I say you probably have a land owner in mind so try the approach and let us know what responce you get.
<div align="right">3513
[/quote]