PDA

View Full Version : SW/W Mi roads that are scenic/difficult in snow?

kenton
November 30th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have some roads/routes in SW Michigan (preferably) or in the Manistee NF area that provide a little fun and challenge to 4wheelers?

Two Thanksgivings ago, the day after deerhunting season (Nov 30) I led a few 4WD vehicles on some forest roads/ORV routes between Baldwin and Muskegon, for example the Manistee ORV route near Wolf Lake. Luckily (?) there was a heavy lake-effect blizzard that morning. We had a good time, took some interesting routes, got stuck a couple of times, and just generally enjoyed seeing the scenic outdoors and using our tow straps and winch.

One not-so-good aspect is that we spent probably half the time driving around on highways looking for good routes, and we were often lost. So, I'm asking here: has anyone done this kind of mild 4wheeling in that area, or SW michigan before? If so, what areas, roads or routes can you suggest?

I'd like to try it again in Jan/Feb timeframe.

Thanks,
Kenton

yogi
December 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
not much in sw mi. you need to get a michigan county map and check out all the trails on state and fed land we run st helens rose city the most lots of trails there allso grayling area :)

yogi

kenton
December 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Hey Yogi, thanks for the reply. I've been looking very carefully at the Topo quad maps on the michigan gov site. Also matching them up with where the Natl and State Forest boundaries are, and where the ORV routes are (although I'm not sticking exclusively to ORV spots). You're right, it looks like my best bet is on the Manistee NF.

What I plan to do is wait for a weekend of lots of lake effect snow, and then go out exploring the 2-tracks in Manistee. I believe from the regulations that I've read, that it is legal to do that (it says I can go on forest roads and 2-tracks). However, I'm worried that no matter what the rules say, either I'm wrong, or the ranger or locals think I'm wrong, or snowmobilers or others get upset (rightly or wrongly). I don't want any confrontations, on the other hand if I am allowed to do it, even if it isn't regularly done, I want to do it! :) "It" being exploring in areas that require 4WD, lift, 33 or 35"s, maybe lockers, maybe winch, etc.

Kenton

Originally posted by yogi@Dec 2 2004, 05:35 AM
not much in sw mi. you need to get a michigan county map and check out all the trails on state and fed land we run st helens rose city the most lots of trails there allso grayling area :)

yogi
<div align="right">3532
[/quote]

Saharaboy
January 26th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I found that the following website is quite useful to find trails around MI

http://theenchantedforest.com/Maps___Chart...trail_maps.html (http://theenchantedforest.com/Maps___Charts/ORV_Trail_Maps/orv_trail_maps.html)

Have fun&#33;&#33;&#33;