PDA

View Full Version : wanted section??

joe_jeep
August 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
i was trying to put up a post in the wanted section. but i see no "new post" button?? am i missing something??

Jeeperz-Creeperz
August 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
i was trying to put up a post in the wanted section. but i see no "new post" button?? am i missing something??

The "general" forums are now read only and will be eliminated in the future. We're trying to whittle the forums down so that they really only deal with the core issues of GLFWDA. With the exception of this forum and the "General Chatter" forum, they all revolve around land use, legality, trail rides, and news.

95geo
August 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
The "general" forums are now read only and will be eliminated in the future. We're trying to whittle the forums down so that they really only deal with the core issues of GLFWDA. With the exception of this forum and the "General Chatter" forum, they all revolve around land use, legality, trail rides, and news.

AKA, we've sold out:muttley:

Im just kidding! It is for the better.......

LEAVE IT!

SKIP
August 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
That's not nice...
Now the drama llama will rear it's ugly head...

95geo
August 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
That's not nice...
Now the drama llama will rear it's ugly head...

theres an old internet trick mark..... the "......" is there for a reason, you figure out why. :ironman:

:hysterical:

joe_jeep
August 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
totally weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we get lamer everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe_jeep
August 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
might as well get rid of the trail rides fourm too. we dont do that any more!

WhiteRhino
August 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Frank, you are missing a big point. If you had been at the last quarterly you would understand it more.

Keep in mind, we are not a "CLUB". We are an organization, which is part of UFWDA that is there for land use, advocacy, etc.

There are steps being taken to get more exposure to the "real cause" of "supporting the sport". But to do this, changes must be made.

Jim

joe_jeep
August 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
i dont see how little things like this stop us from supporting the sport?? or stop us from being being land use advocates?? i think little things like this bring users to the website?? perhaps they will get more involved by being seeing the good things going on. even though they were drawn to the website from other means. if i would have made it to the quarterly would you have done something differently?? i doubt it! i keep being told this is not a club, i understand that! if i was in a club do you think i would be more or less involved in glfwda?? :poke:think!
sorry i missed the quarterly, i make it to most of them. wasnt going to silverlake twice in the same year and the jeeps in need of work.
i am looking into joining a club pretty soon, just looking into what club i fit best. thought about what lies beyond,sofo,msg and a few others. ive been wanting to join one for a while, just havent found the right one yet.

WhiteRhino
August 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Not saying if you had made it to the quarterly that things would have been different. But there were several minutes of discussion about this and you would have heard some good things. Would the turnout have been different if you were there? Who knows?

Yes, I do think once in a while. I believe you have a strong commitment. My comment about the club is similar to this: Go to the UFWDA web site. You will not see a market place there. We are heading towards a similar format.

Jarhead
August 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM
totally weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we get lamer everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must admit, I am confused. How does getting rid of the Wanted/For Sale, Trader Type Forums make us weaker?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Jarhead
August 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM
might as well get rid of the trail rides fourm too. we dont do that any more!
Actually, I would beg to differ. I have been very fortunate this year and have wheeled at least twice if not three times each month since March.

Sometimes I have been with GLFWDA Members and sometimes I haven't as I am trying to meet as many people face-to-face on the trails to discuss the issues we are confronted with and an attempt to gain more Support and Members. On every occassion but a few, I have ran into other GLFWDA Members out having a good time.

Whether it was a phone call, e-mail or chance meeting that sponsored all these opportunities, it has been a great year so far. Unforetunately, this also means I have neglected to do many of the things that need doing around the house and my wife has been very understanding and supportive.

Trail_Fanatic
August 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Joe,

To try to give you the condensed version:

We all agree membership needs to improve.
It takes money and numbers to be a truly effective land use advocate.
We're short on both.

We were approached about linking with other sites - gl4x4 specifically.
It is my opinion that we NEED links on as many other sites as possible - to try to 'advertise' in as many places as possible - to try to draw new members from as many places as possible.
It was brought to our attention that we are actually considered a competitor because our forums are so similar to the others. A 'United FWDA style' site isn't perceived as competition.
The BOD (myself included) believe the benefits of 'link' style advertising outweigh the benefits received by having the additional forums on our site.

I know a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
However, I think there are a LOT more than just double the 'bird's on these other sites that we can get to sign on with us - once they know who we are and what we do. . . and that takes advertising.

Also, with a low membership, we don't have the financial freedom to spend freely on advertising - and this would be a 'free' way to get the Association's name out there.

Long story short, we don't like to reduce services, but in this instance we thought it was at least worth a try.

It will be reviewed periodically. We can reverse the decision later, but I would hope we would give it a chance to work before we scrap the idea.

Jarhead
August 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Joe,

To try to give you the condensed version:

We all agree membership needs to improve.
It takes money and numbers to be a truly effective land use advocate.
We're short on both.

We were approached about linking with other sites - gl4x4 specifically.
It is my opinion that we NEED links on as many other sites as possible - to try to 'advertise' in as many places as possible - to try to draw new members from as many places as possible.
It was brought to our attention that we are actually considered a competitor because our forums are so similar to the others. A 'United FWDA style' site isn't perceived as competition.
The BOD (myself included) believe the benefits of 'link' style advertising outweigh the benefits received by having the additional forums on our site.

I know a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
However, I think there are a LOT more than just double the 'bird's on these other sites that we can get to sign on with us - once they know who we are and what we do. . . and that takes advertising.

Also, with a low membership, we don't have the financial freedom to spend freely on advertising - and this would be a 'free' way to get the Association's name out there.

Long story short, we don't like to reduce services, but in this instance we thought it was at least worth a try.

It will be reviewed periodically. We can reverse the decision later, but I would hope we would give it a chance to work before we scrap the idea.
Nicely put Pat.

There was a time when the Club Directors dictated the direction this Association would take. That all changed during January 2006 when we transitioned to an Individual based Association. The input of the Members is vital to the direction we now take.

We realize we can not please everyone or be everything everyone would like us to be. This Association has weathered tough times as people become upset with the direction taken and throw in the towel in disagreement. Any changes whether from the e-board or the Membership will be discussed in as much detail as time permits, short of us doing nothing. We value all input whether you agree with us or not, so please keep telling us what we are doing right or wrong so that the majority can be represented. It is only when everyone is silent I worry the most.

Just as we began to realign during January 2006, we feel it necessary to realign our primary focus to that of Land Use to ensure our Children and our Children’s Children have a place to enjoy off-roading. We are taking the fluff out for now to assist in that realignment. KOTARO and the M Triangle are major focuses for this year, but they are but two of the numerous projects the e-board is involved with.

Never Doubt That A Small Group of Thoughtful, Committed People Can Change The World. Indeed, It Is The Only Thing That Ever Has.

DieselMTU
August 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I like / agree with the direction of GLFWDA. We need a group / body to have the ability to fight for us. This is where Great Lakes specific knowledge can be found. :yourock:

Trail rides should be imprompt to, or club organized and shared upwards through GLFWDA. There is not time for the group to organize rides and persue "government" issues. It can only do one or the other effectivly.

I don't know if the wanted thread makes a difference or not, but it seems current feedback shows it does.

Thanks for input, these are good guys and I am sure they seriously consider your thoughts. Now the question is who else out there feels the same way about the wanted section and will they speak up?

There are my two pennies.... I hope not off track of the thread.

95geo
August 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
how effective/used were the areas that were thinned out?

the link that is now provided is 99% more effective for the areas that are no longer here. It just doesn't make any sense to try and compete with what is on the other sites when just about everything gets cross posted over there anyways.

joe_jeep
August 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
bryce you are absolutely right the links to other sites wanted and for sale sections are way more effective than ours ever were! no doubt about that. myself i dont really go to to many other sites, so cross posting would not be an issue for me. as much as id like to keep our own stuff, if it will help us grow then do what you gotta do. i just preferred to buy and or sell from someone i sort of knew on here. doing buisness with someone from another site is just not as fun. i hope all this works out!

Bob, its simple math, a service was removed that i valued! something we did for free as a service to our members was taken away. thats one less thing we do for our members, that makes us weaker! if it turns out it was a good idea by boosting membership, then it was a good thing and i support that! i think this could be a good thing! and pray that it is!
i just didnt like other fourms as much, mabey im the only member that liked our fourms??? i guess im just familiar with the crowd, and enjoy their "e-company".
i supported the link with gl4x4, ive been to their site a little and its pretty informative on some things. i didnt realize the link with them meant our fourms would be leaving us. i understand cc wouldnt want us directing traffic elsewhere. that would be bad buisness sense. if i like it or i not its gonna happen, so hope it works out as a positive for us. best of luck

Jarhead
August 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Frank, thank you for providing a different point of view.

phittie1100
August 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Keep in mind that changes like this are not necessarily permanent - if the Association decides to take a different course in the future, we can make changes as appropriate.

joe_jeep
August 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
:poke:hopefully we wont need to change it, cause it went so well!

Trail_Fanatic
August 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM
:poke:hopefully we wont need to change it, cause it went so well!

AMEN Brother! :thumb:

Jarhead
August 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM
AMEN Brother! :thumb:
X2:cool: