PDA

View Full Version : Where to wheel opinions

Brods
July 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
We haven't wheeled in several years now. The 30 acre park sounds like fun and we're thinking of going tomorrow. Our truck is the one in the sig. The 35s dry rotted, so 33" all terrains are on the truck now. The truck will be trailered.

Should we just go to Silver Lake instead? We've never wheeled in sand before and would need to get all the required stuff (flag, ORV sticker and whatever else, same for the Mounds I guess). Silver lake and the park are 3 hours away, Mounds is a little more than 1 hour. Any opinions on which would be better to knock the rust off this web wheeler?

Also any tips, like where to get the flags, where to park, if tow rigs get vandalized in the parking lots, etc. will be much appreciated. Thanks!

95geo
July 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM
if i were you i would do one of them on saturday and one on sunday, the 30 acre park is sketchy so i would go there first, who knows how long it will be open......

there is a lot of smart guys to show you tricks and techniques at the park too

Creative Fab
July 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
every party store at Silver lake has the flags and most have the ORV sticker

tire pressure tire pressure tire pressure is what will get you motivated at the dunes, D rated tires on a heavy vehicle like yours will need to be in the low teens

try to get a decent sidewall bulge without being low enough to take one off the rim, as you probably know 16.5" tires are prone to peeling off, so judge accordingly

dont know a thing about the 30 acre park but it might be worth a look see, then when you get back report to us on how it was

if you are going to be there for a couple days your truck and trailer can stay at your hotel or campground and not be bothered, that is if your Blazer is street licensed. If not than you will have to park in the ORV area parking lot. A parking lot voucher will be needed if you are there on a sat. or sunday, during the week no voucher is required.

Brods
July 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the tips, keep em coming. Good point 95geo, this may be the last chance to hit the park and the dunes are right there too. The truck is street legal, licenced and insured. The 33s are on 16.5s which don't have the safety bump on the rim :mad: If we go to the dunes it will be just for the day. Where do you get the parking lot voucher?

Alligator
July 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Just got back this afternoon. I did everything with my stock duramax, 285 yoko ( 12-15 psi). Just idle up to the bottom of the hills, then get on it. U can watch people get 1/4 mile running starts and not make and then rip off the deflector. Watch the crests, I watched several people lauch off the tops, they can change rapidly. Just have fun, wife and her sister drove the Jeep and I took the truck with my girls. U can spend a lot of time just talking to different people and watching all the different THINGS out there.

Duneland has air right at the enterance/exit to the park along with everything you need. U may think about making a flag mount. 1/2" dia whole, need 3/4 and 11/16 wrenches to tighten the flag. Also any passengers in the back will need helmets if you don't have a rollbar behind them.

I think you can get a map at the enterance or take a look at the one by the bathrooms there are directional areas that only allow one way traffic. When you enter the orv area Test hill is on your left this area (East half is Directional N to S) the west side along the beach to the drag area is multi directional.

Have a blast we hadn't been there since 2004 and I wish I could have stayed longer. It was pretty hazy out there Thurs and Fri but there are some pretty awsome sunsets out there too.

Creative Fab
July 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the tips, keep em coming. Good point 95geo, this may be the last chance to hit the park and the dunes are right there too. The truck is street legal, licenced and insured. The 33s are on 16.5s which don't have the safety bump on the rim :mad: If we go to the dunes it will be just for the day. Where do you get the parking lot voucher?

parking lot vouchers will be just outside the dunes entrance at the voucher center, big sign cant miss it

Brods
July 30th, 2007, 07:15 PM
What I saw of the "30 acre" park was a large pit with a dirt hill to play on. Off to the side of the pit are the stair steps, which look challenging. There is kind of a course that consists of a series of Jeep sized holes you drive through. A few heavy equipment tires are buried side to side to make a berm where the course makes a u-turn. Between two of the holes there is a section of rocks visible. The entire run is about 200 yards? total.

The ravine sounds like the highlight of the park. We did not check it out since we were asked to stay out of it.

Collinís park has lots of potential. I met him while signing some waivers and he strikes me as someone who would be willing to listen to some ideas. Hopefully he will stick with it and develop the park to its fullest potential.