PDA

View Full Version : Felch Grade Route/Forest Island Trail?

offroadracer99
July 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hey everybody, while the Ford is still down I am stealing back the 03' GMC HD from my parents for the weekend (They took over payment when I bought my STi). I am going up by Escanaba with my Fiance' for some family related stuff. I thought we could sneek off for a little offroad time.

The two close trails are the Felch Grade Route and the Forest Island Trail. I wanted to know if anyone has run these two trails and how they are and what trail rating they have. I don't want to do any hard wheeling with the HD since it is basically stock when it comes to suspension and I will most likely be going with just the one truck. Unless I can con someone else who will be there to go with me. Its her family so I am not sure who is all going and if anyone would be interested.

If they are not hard all I have to do is find time to sneak away with my fiance' away from all the family time :thumb:

Thanks!

Rattler
July 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
I too am kind of curious about Felch Grade seeing I will be up that way in a few weeks. Here is a description I found online:

Trail Description:
For two-thirds of its length, this trail parallels M-69--right along the highway, in fact. From the road it might not look like anything special. But from the trail, your awareness of the lightly-traveled road is masked by the vegetation that has grown since the corridor was abandoned in 1970. And, most likely, you will be surprised by the amazing number of white-tailed deer using the trail as a travel route.

It is just an old railroad grade so I wouldn't think it to be anything difficult.

Post back if you check it out!

BTW, I replaced a WRX (dang-near an STi power) with my Tacoma. What color is yours?

offroadracer99
July 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
I will check let you know when I see it first hand.

Still would like to know if anybody has run it.

and my STi is WRBlue, what other color is there :D :lmao:

Creative Fab
July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
The Felch grade will net you some wildlife sightings for sure, dont look for any kind of obstacles, it's very flat. Snow machines enjoy it for the high speed runs it affords.

offroadracer99
July 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks Pat, thats what I am looking for, something nice and relaxing :lol: I will take some pics for sure and post them up where when I get back. Not leaving till Aug. 2nd, so it will be a bit.

Has anybody run or know anything about the Forest Island trail? :confused:

It is close and I was hoping to see about hitting up that trail too. :thumb:

Rattler
July 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
By the looks of the DNR map it appears that the ORV route is broken up. I am going to be in Escanaba for the WSORR race(formerly CORR) Aug. 11 & 12, and might have some time to kill the day before.

Mine was WRB too.

joe_jeep
July 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
there are some nice trails south of us 2 east of co rd 513. just east of rapid river. i lived up there for about 5 years. nothing too tough though.
most of the trails off of 513 are cool. all will lead you back to 513 or 511 or us 2. impossible to get lost. also go north on hwy 41 about 15 to 30 miles and start looking off to the side trails. some were a little more challenging. good luck

offroadracer99
July 26th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks! :wave:

The truck is almost ready for the trip next week. Got some new tires, Wild Country XTX Sport, didn't feel like springing for the BFG ATs. Maybe I will do a tire review when I get back :thumb:

Getting some rear breaks, upper and lower ball joints on the drivers side, and an oil change and it will be ready to rock.

It needs all this and "I" haven't drove it in months! :ahhh:

Hopefully it don't need anything when I get back :lmao:

offroadracer99
August 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Well after getting up there, I looked at the Felch Grade Route and decided against going down it.

It was a far cry from being a hard trail, but it is a little grown over for a full size truck that I still like the paint on :D

It looks mostly like ATVs are the only thing riding down that trail for a long time.

A dedicated trail rig of any size, one that you don't mind dragging weeds and limbs across will have not trouble getting down it.

You Jeep guys will have no problem getting down it with no problems :wave:

Rattler
August 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Your STi is smaller. Just take that!:laughing2:j/k

Thanks for the info. I really don't think I need anymore scratches after the tight trail I ended up on at the Mounds Saturday. I am not ready for my camo paint job yet.

Jarhead
August 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Your ... I really don't think I need anymore scratches after the tight trail I ended up on at the Mounds Saturday...
I was at The Mounds last Saturday also...

Rattler
August 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
We were there from @ 4:30 to 6:30. Enough time to get the truck pretty much covered in mud after we found some.