PDA

View Full Version : Onboard welder wiring question

kb8ymf
May 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
So I've been out a half dozen time in the last 9 months and someone has needed a welder in the group for some sort of trail side repair.
The two choices are Premier Power that requires a new generator, which I already decide to NOT do because I can't fit the monster generator under my hood, or the Ready Welder wire feed MIG 10000CS which uses 2-12 volt batteries in series. I've decided to do the wire welder except changing the maze of wires from parallel to series on the batteries takes at least 3 high current switches and the proper order for switching otherwise you'll create a nuclear meltdown from shorting two batteries. So I stumbled on this concept which looks pretty neat. Can an electrical guru comment on this? I'm a reasonably competent electrically but I've never seen this before. Would this be acceptable for a welding application?

It came from this site:
http://www.yandina.com/24VoltBattery.htm

Jim-kb8ymf

Jeeperz-Creeperz
May 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; May 16 2007, 06&#58;37 PM) 24960</div>

So I&#39;ve been out a half dozen time in the last 9 months and someone has needed a welder in the group for some sort of trail side repair.
The two choices are Premier Power that requires a new generator, which I already decide to NOT do because I can&#39;t fit the monster generator under my hood, or the Ready Welder wire feed MIG 10000CS which uses 2-12 volt batteries in series. I&#39;ve decided to do the wire welder except changing the maze of wires from parallel to series on the batteries takes at least 3 high current switches and the proper order for switching otherwise you&#39;ll create a nuclear meltdown from shorting two batteries. So I stumbled on this concept which looks pretty neat. Can an electrical guru comment on this? I&#39;m a reasonably competent electrically but I&#39;ve never seen this before. Would this be acceptable for a welding application?

It came from this site:
http://www.yandina.com/24VoltBattery.htm

Jim-kb8ymf
[/b]

It looks like it would work in theory. The only problem I see is that you would need a switch that could handle the current flow from the battery, which could be a couple hundred amps (current draw would be cut in half when using in parallel, but it can still be quite high).

rtikql8
May 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM
It&#39;s late and I haven&#39;t put a whole lot of thought into this. Maybe tomorrow, as I have a ready welder and am faced with the same challenges...

If you are using flux core, you will have to reverse the polarity (assuming you are welding on your own rig), so I think when it comes down to it you will want to just run batteries with the wing nut type lugs so you can re configure it when you need to.

I had thought about maybe using the quick disconnects and color coding them, I would really have to sit down and think about that one, right now isn&#39;t a good idea. Maybe tommorow/today...