PDA

View Full Version : CB question

NewRide
May 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Anyone ever wired in their CB into their audio system ?? I'm not the greatest with electrical but I know it can be done. I had a website bookmarked at one time that showed how to do it but my computer crashed.

Creative Fab
May 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
All you will need to do is have a cb with an external speaker output then hook it to one of your stereo speakers. Except when using your CB you would not be able to listen to Metalica :(

Is this what you meant?

My CB is mounted overhead and it's speaker is on the bottom so hearing it isnt a problem. I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.

phittie1100
May 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
My CB is in the console because nothing locks in my Jeep except the console. I can't hear the speaker, so I ran an external speaker (Radio Shack) up under the dash instead of trying to wire it into the stereo.

WhiteRhino
May 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; May 8 2007, 07&#58;43 AM) 24722</div>

I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.
[/b]

I get so sick of him yelling at me over the PA that I&#39;m about ready to cut the wire to the megaphone. :lmao: :lmao:

Creative Fab
May 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; May 8 2007, 04&#58;57 PM) 24749</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; May 8 2007, 07&#58;43 AM) 24722

I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.
[/b]

I get so sick of him yelling at me over the PA that I&#39;m about ready to cut the wire to the megaphone. :lmao: :lmao:
[/b][/quote]

If you werent such a slacker when your wheeling I wouldnt have to bust your chops on the PA :bootyshake:

NewRide
May 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I know you can just splice into the wiring harness but doesnt that pose a possibility of some feed back or something going back into the stereo ?? I don&#39;t want to fry my radio .

scottdidit
May 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM
most newer head units have a aux. input but this will require the radio to be put on aux to hear it.
Hmm.. In a painless wiring harness they recomend some little dioed or somthing that goes into the line near the altanator to prevent backfeed. It was discribed to me like a one way valve...but for electricity.. if you put this in the speeker wire between the cb connection and the radio, and in the positive wire for the speeker??&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?? I belive they were avaliable at radio shack.. might ask there&#33;&#33;

NewRide
May 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scottdidit &#064; May 10 2007, 06&#58;36 AM) 24788</div>

most newer head units have a aux. input but this will require the radio to be put on aux to hear it.
Hmm.. In a painless wiring harness they recomend some little dioed or somthing that goes into the line near the altanator to prevent backfeed. It was discribed to me like a one way valve...but for electricity.. if you put this in the speeker wire between the cb connection and the radio, and in the positive wire for the speeker??&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?? I belive they were avaliable at radio shack.. might ask there&#33;&#33;
[/b]

Now that what I&#39;m talking about &#33;&#33; But I went to Radio Shack last week and all the have are the diodes for like mothers boards and stuff. And you are correct about the one valve idea .. the yprevent backfeed to the radio. Wouldnt it be great if I could find that site again LOL :WhiteRhino:

Jarhead
May 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NewRide &#064; May 11 2007, 05&#58;09 AM) 24809</div>

Now that what I&#39;m talking about &#33;&#33; But I went to Radio Shack last week and all the have are the diodes for like mothers boards and stuff. And you are correct about the one valve idea .. the yprevent backfeed to the radio. Wouldnt it be great if I could find that site again LOL :WhiteRhino:
[/b]
You need to find a Radio Shack that has someone behind the counter that understands electronics. Solder the diode into your line, put a little shrink tube over the connections and you can have a wire harness with a little effort and little cost. Figuring the size of the diode is the hard part because it is based on the output of your radio. If you have the spec sheet on your radio, it shouldn&#39;t be too difficult to find the mathematical formula to plug your numbers into and buy the right size diode (Web-Site, Community College, Hamm Operator, etc.). If you don&#39;t have the spec sheet on your radio, now we have another problem...

NewRide
May 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Nope no spec sheet the radio came with the Jeep. I guess I&#39;ll spend an evening tryin to search the web again. :ahhh:

95geo
May 12th, 2007, 11:34 PM
you guys are getting WAY too deep into this.

if your radio has an aux input then just get the appropriate connector/cable to go from one to the other, if it doesnt then spend the &#036;30 it costs to get an external speaker so you can bypass the radio all together, its not worth the hassle of trying to make it work.

there is no need for a diode unless there is an obvious need for it (say turning on your low beams with your high beams but not the other way around)

the diode in a painless wiring kit is so the alternator is always charging, if it sees a high enough voltage then its not going to charge but if there is a delta in the voltage out vs. in then it will put out power. another way to "trick" it is to put a light bulb in the line. FYI

rtikql8
May 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Get a FM Modulator, the kind that goes in line with your radio antenna. You tune to an FM station that is weak. Assuming you have already connected your CB to the modulator you are in business.

You would not be able to listen to anything else but the CB is the only down side to this method. I wouldn&#39;t be tying my CB into my Jeep harness unless it had a true AUX input. I would think you would fry the CB before the Jeep radio (more power).

NewRide
May 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM
:idea:

scottdidit
May 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
sorry for the delay... diode is radio shack # 276-1661. this should do the trick&#33;&#33; remember stripe side goes closest to head unit, then cb input then speaker... this will protect the radio, but im not sure if the CB will over power the radio with its signal. Let us know if this works&#33;&#33;