PDA

View Full Version : GPS and state trails

CheapthrillB2
May 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
So as I understand this, their is a need for the GPS coords of state trails that are currently open? to keep them open

Now i don't know the first thing on how to use a GPS unit (or have one), but their are alot of trails in Yankee Springs, and even more closed ones. Would someone be willing to come out with their GPS and record all the trails. I just don't want to see Yankee Springs forgotten about, maybe even show whomever some of the old trails that are now shut down..........Just throwing this out thier as kinda of a feeler, don't know if anybody is local etc.....

Trail_Fanatic
May 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Dude, I'd LOVE to take you up on your offer, but I really don't know when I'd have time.
I hate to admit it, but I'm swamped!

If you know anyone who has a unit, or get any takers on your offer; I have a DVD I'd like you to watch before going out to collect tracks. There are specific ways to set up the unit to make it easier for the Government to use the tracks.

Let me know, and we can figure out how to get a copy to you.

CheapthrillB2
May 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
you send it via snail mail or somethin, um i think in a few weeks a fellow club member is having a party and he lives right near michigans adventure, your in muskegon right?

Trail_Fanatic
May 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yea!
Just a few miles from there.

How many copies would you like?
Want a few for your friends?

CheapthrillB2
May 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
fi its cool then just two or three

Nvrenuf
May 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Pat are you still looking to Map/GPS parts of the Manistee yet? If so when?

I would also be interested in the DVD or learning to use mine more.

Trail_Fanatic
May 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'm planning to GPS the "M Triangle Project" area over Memorial Day weekend. Would LOVE to have company!

I'm meeting any who wish to join me at Burk's Waterfront Restaurant at 10:00am on Sat and Sun for sure, maybe Mon too if needed.

See you there?

I could give you the DVD there, or snail mail it to you before hand.

Rattler
May 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I am not sure if the state is doing the GPS trail log but I know the USFS is. I got the DVD on it.

Trail_Fanatic
May 10th, 2007, 12:53 AM
The state isn't under the same rule, but DOES have over 800 miles of new trails/ROUTE to designate in the next two years. The information on the DVD is still good stuff to help show us where trails are that you'd like to see designated on State lands too.
State or Federal - both have different reasons why we need to GPS your favorite trails!

CheapthrillB2
May 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM
so then their isn't any GLFWDA members with GPS near the K-zoo GR area???

man i may have to see what kind of $$ i can come up with and poss buy my own GPS......Trail Fanatic my buddy tried to call you yesterday to get those DVD's but he said the number i got from you didn't work?

Jarhead
May 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapthrillB2 &#064; May 10 2007, 07&#58;41 AM) 24790</div>

so then their isn&#39;t any GLFWDA members with GPS near the K-zoo GR area???

man i may have to see what kind of &#036;&#036; i can come up with and poss buy my own GPS......Trail Fanatic my buddy tried to call you yesterday to get those DVD&#39;s but he said the number i got from you didn&#39;t work?
[/b]
Send Pat a PM so he can connect with you quicker for the phone number.

As for GLFWDA Members in the K-zoo GR area; we have met with a number of clubs in the areas and have a few members, but whether they actually visit the website on a regular basis is another thing altogether.

Trail_Fanatic
May 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have some limited Allegan State Game Area tracks and some Muskegon county tracks, but nothing for the GR area.
That&#39;s been shut down for several years now.

Let me know if you want &#39;em.

CheapthrillB2
May 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
def interested in the allegan, we&#39;ve been talking about venturing out there, but we didn&#39;t wanna do it blind and end up someplace we weren&#39;t suppose to and not know it

Rattler
May 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cheapthrills,
I would map them but K-zoo is a pretty good haul for me. You can pick up a GPS unit pretty cheap off Ebay. I paid @ &#036;60 for a Garmin-refurbished Etrex. It doesn&#39;t really do anything fancy but I can upload and download waypoints to my PC with a &#036;6 cord and free software. The only problem I have had was running out of memory on it after using it for a few hours. If I took my wife&#39;s laptop along and DL&#39;d as we went I wouldn&#39;t have that happen.
I am looking into a bigger unit such as the Garmin CSX60 or the new Delorme PN-20. The Delorme unit comes with topo maps already loaded into it. Both are around &#036;350-400 though.

Trail_Fanatic
May 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
You can buy a bigger chip for the Etrax unit.

I have a 50 meg in mine.

It&#39;ll collect tracks for days without filling up.

Rattler
May 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM
More info please. I didn&#39;t find anything at Garmin&#39;s website.

Capt_Nemo
May 18th, 2007, 11:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; May 7 2007, 09&#58;07 PM) 24708</div>

Dude, I&#39;d LOVE to take you up on your offer, but I really don&#39;t know when I&#39;d have time.
I hate to admit it, but I&#39;m swamped&#33;

If you know anyone who has a unit, or get any takers on your offer; I have a DVD I&#39;d like you to watch before going out to collect tracks. There are specific ways to set up the unit to make it easier for the Government to use the tracks.

Let me know, and we can figure out how to get a copy to you.
[/b]

I would be inrterested in this DVD too.

Rattler
May 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I got mine from here:

http://www.nohvcc.org/IMAGES/prgps.asp

GreyBeard
May 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; May 7 2007, 11&#58;02 PM) 24718</div>

I&#39;m planning to GPS the "M Triangle Project" area over Memorial Day weekend. Would LOVE to have company&#33;

I&#39;m meeting any who wish to join me at Burk&#39;s Waterfront Restaurant at 10:00am on Sat and Sun for sure, maybe Mon too if needed.

See you there?

I could give you the DVD there, or snail mail it to you before hand.
[/b]

Hey, Pat.
There should be two or three of us joining you Saturday and/or Sunday.
At least one of us should be able to grab some GPS track logs, if that would help.

Is Burk&#39;s Waterfront Restaurant still active? I didn&#39;t find a current listing on the web.

I&#39;ll PM you with cell phone contact info.

Trail_Fanatic
May 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rattler &#064; May 20 2007, 09&#58;05 AM) 25113</div>

I got mine from here:

[/b]

That&#39;s the one.

Thanks for coming out Bruce&#33;

Hope to see you ALL there, there&#39;s some GREAT stuff to explore in that area.

Capt_Nemo
May 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rattler &#064; May 20 2007, 09&#58;05 AM) 25113</div>

I got mine from here:

[/b]

Thanks for the link. :D

Dan

KE5ETX
June 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
PM sent to the OP concerning assistance with Yankee Springs.

The link for the DVD was great, I sent them one email and should have it in a few days. No charge.

Thanks all

JC

lbfin88
June 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Lapeer County, the county of my residence, has quite a bit of State land and it has some forest service trails that run through it. Most of the trails are now blocked off by a metal swing gate. Is there any way we could get permission from the DNR to gain entrance and GPS map these trails?

jeepguy74
August 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
i have the video anda gps now if i can get some help puting the lift and find some 31 -33 inch tires for the xj ill be in for a ride(yj is down for a motor swap and the xj just needs better tires and with being disabled due to neurve damage its hard for me to do some work on my rig) anyway im up for a ride first part of sep if i can get the xj done

Jarhead
August 20th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Lapeer County, the county of my residence, has quite a bit of State land and it has some forest service trails that run through it. Most of the trails are now blocked off by a metal swing gate. Is there any way we could get permission from the DNR to gain entrance and GPS map these trails?
The best place to start is your local DNR Office:
Lapeer State Game Area
3116 Vernor Rd., Lapeer, MI 48446
(810) 664-8355

Ridgerunner
August 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Being a Lapeer county resident for over 16 yrs now, My wife and I enjoyed using the trails In this area Up until about 5yrs ago when the last trails through interlake trail system were closed or improved to a gravel road for 2wd traffic. I remember that when I first used the area around 1992,that many of the challenging trails had already been closed.

About 10 yrs ago My wife and I where enjoying a campfire along one of the posted "open trails"at that time when a CO came by and chatted with us for about a 1/2 hr or so about different things and told him how much we enjoyed using the area. I also told him that I was shocked to find so much trash dumped out there, he said Its a real problem and hard to control. then he asked me for my Lic.& reg. because he had to write me a ticket for Improper use of trails system. I was in shock and told him that the trail was posted open. He went on some speel about this area Is for hunting and fishing acccess and since I was just out joy riding I was violating some game area ordinence.

Keep in mind this was a long time ago but my feeling is that since its still a state game area that there attitude probobly hasnt changed.

Is there any way to search If this old trail system to find out how these trail were classified?

I would love to see some of this trail system re-opened.

Is the local feild office really the best place to start?

WhiteRhino
August 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
So, did you get a ticket and pay it or did you fight it?

Ridgerunner
August 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I was issued a ticket.when I went to the clerks office to pay it she spent about 10 min. looking up the violation as this was something she had not seen before. I asked where I could contest it and she said somthing to the effect that since it was issued on state land she wasnt sure what to do. Had i been more informed about the laws and not been so ignorant, I probobly would have fought it . I think the ticket was around a 100 bucks.

I still enjoy using this area,mainly for working my dog as there are miles of nice wooded trails that with a little work could easly be used again by full size users.

Jarhead
August 21st, 2007, 05:35 AM
...Is the local feild office really the best place to start?
Without cooperation from the Local Field Office, the entire battle is all uphill and fruitless.

There is a State Form (I can't find a copy at the moment to get a form number) that can be filled out to open new or existing trails. During the reveiw of the Proposal, the Local Field Office is involved because they have first hand local knowledge of the area.

Just like what we are currently doing in the West Branch Area as we attempt to connect and loop the ORV Routes so they don't simply come to a dead end.

If you can foster a relationship with the Local DNR, you will know whether your wishes or desires have any chance of becoming reallity before the paperwork is ever submitted.

Trail_Fanatic
August 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I would love to see some of this trail system re-opened.

Is the local feild office really the best place to start?

PM Sent :thumb: