PDA

View Full Version : another newby question

gregmanning1033
April 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
this might be a dumb question but how would i attach d-rings to my stock bumper? or i guess is it possible, keep in mind i don't have a welder. (94 yj)

Nvrenuf
April 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Is this for the front or rear?

I wouldn't think the stock bumpers would be strong enough.

Why not get a set of factory tow hooks?

gregmanning1033
April 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
well that was kinda my other part of the question. are the factory tow hooks dependable and safe? good for more than looks? this will be for the front bumper.

Creative Fab
April 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Factory tow hooks on Jeeps are up to the task of pulling the weight of the Jeep they are on or another vehicle of equal or lesser weight. So in other words dont go hooking up to a 8000 pound 3/4ton truck buried to it's frame and expect to be safe.

Also remember when using extraction equipment always use straps without hooks on the ends and never use clevis's to attach two straps together. And on the subject of clevis's, never use the ones with pull pins, only threaded ones and with at least a 4 ton WLL (working load limit) this rating will be present on the side of the clevis. AND NO CHAINS!

What are you using on the rear for tow points?

gregmanning1033
April 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
um...right now a reciever with a d-ring hitch adapter...but i'm open to suggestions

DDS4X4
April 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Rear tow point as you have indicated is GREAT as long as you use the correct style D-ring as described by Ironman.

My suggestion is use the factory tow hooks as described by Ironman for now if they are already installed. If you have none yet, go for the D-ring installation. It is SAFER, factory tow hooks can and do FAIL.

gregmanning1033
April 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDS4X4 &#064; Apr 12 2007, 04&#58;58 PM) 24125</div>

Rear tow point as you have indicated is GREAT as long as you use the correct style D-ring as described by Ironman.

My suggestion is use the factory tow hooks as described by Ironman for now if they are already installed. If you have none yet, go for the D-ring installation. It is SAFER, factory tow hooks can and do FAIL.
[/b]

thats just it, how or can i attach d-rings to a factory bumper, is it strong enough? i don&#39;t have a welder but i have friends that do and could weld it for me, if thats the only way. has anyone seen or used the d-ring "thing" jc whitney has that bolts to the tow hook holes but allows the d-ring to hang of the front. But they are like 79.00 each, i could almost just buy a new front bumper......i&#39;m just broke at the moment.

Creative Fab
April 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM
if all you want is to attach a D ring to your stock tow hook location I can fab you a mount to do just that

And cheaper than the &#036;79 that JC Whitney wants.

call me

Pat

Ironman Offroad
989 832 7538

WhiteRhino
April 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Doug, do you have any pics of said tow hook failure? Or the result that it caused?

lgottler
April 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Pat, you better charge more that 79 bucks for a set of mounts&#33;

I put some tow hooks on the wifes XJ last fall. The same kind as stock made by Rusty&#39;s. OK for typical quick pulls. But burry it in some glue like mud and I would rather be pulled backwards&#33; They only have about 3 bolts per side, but its through sheetmetal basically. I enlarged the holes to 1/2" bolts with large washers, but still wouldn&#39;t trust it for a serious pull.

Dave D. bent his up in Mqt a few years back doing a side pull, bent the "frame rail" sideways, ZJ thou.

I definitely would go the route of an entire front bumper and winch mount. Then you get your D-rings. Side pulls and front pulls kind of distribute the force between the two "frame rails" (unibody eh&#33;).

My .02

Lucas

Creative Fab
April 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 13 2007, 05&#58;11 PM) 24157</div>

Pat, you better charge more that 79 bucks for a set of mounts&#33;

I put some tow hooks on the wifes XJ last fall. The same kind as stock made by Rusty&#39;s. OK for typical quick pulls. But burry it in some glue like mud and I would rather be pulled backwards&#33; They only have about 3 bolts per side, but its through sheetmetal basically. I enlarged the holes to 1/2" bolts with large washers, but still wouldn&#39;t trust it for a serious pull.

Dave D. bent his up in Mqt a few years back doing a side pull, bent the "frame rail" sideways, ZJ thou.

I definitely would go the route of an entire front bumper and winch mount. Then you get your D-rings. Side pulls and front pulls kind of distribute the force between the two "frame rails" (unibody eh&#33;).

My .02

Lucas
[/b]

Lucas, I was not reffering to mounting them to the stock bumper but to the spot where the stock tow hooks go. I have built several that mount in that location, same place you would mount the aftermarket bumper you speak of.

kb8ymf
April 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Apr 13 2007, 07&#58;29 AM) 24144</div>

Doug, do you have any pics of said tow hook failure? Or the result that it caused?
[/b]
I don&#39;t have a picture of the fractured tow hook but I can tell you it was a factory installed one, branbd new vehicle, like the first month out. The hook broke right where the bolt went through the hook. The section thickness didn&#39;t get thicker but the hole went right through the body of the hook and it just narrowed up. Not sure how the company fixed the problem but the company exec driving the truck was quick to not let picture get taken of it and not much was ever said of it afterwards. I do know that when it broke, I almost got hit in the head.
jim-kb8ymf

joe_jeep
April 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM
the bolt on d ring setup ive seen looks pretty stout&#33; alot stouter than the crummy factory tow hooks i got&#33; very thick, solid steel. looks pretty tough. i have pulled a 1 ton cummins dually out with my tow hooks. took some full throttle jerks to free it, but it wasnt that burried. the hooks take more abuse than i thought they wood.

kb8ymf
April 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Apr 14 2007, 12&#58;16 AM) 24172</div>

the bolt on d ring setup ive seen looks pretty stout&#33; alot stouter than the crummy factory tow hooks i got&#33; very thick, solid steel. looks pretty tough. i have pulled a 3/4 ton cummins dually out with my tow hooks. took some full throttle jerks to free it, but it wasnt that burried. the hooks take more abuse than i thought they wood.
[/b]
If you can get them (D rings that is) securely mounted as Pat suggested, I would do D ring ANYDAY before a hook, factory or otherwise. D rings have the ability to affix the strap without worrying about it slipping off and hooks don&#39;t . And yes I do know about those springy clips.....not worth didley in my opinion.
jim-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
April 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I have not had problems with straps slipping off hooks. Trick is the hooks need to be pointing "UP" as compared to the stupid factory ZJ hooks that face down. Yes, there have been a couple times that a strap has slipped off but I also see an upside to hooks. There have been a couple times where I have seen someone about ready to roll. It is far FASTER to slip a strap over a hook to secure someone.

Bottom line, both have pros and cons but the real key is location and proper mounting.

lgottler
April 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount. Run it right under the bumper. Maybe 2x3 1/4 wall laid sideways with a tab welded through the center of the 2" wide part front and back. The mounts would be your typical mounts, but maybe make a flate (french word) sandwich plate instead of any washers. Sleeve the back hole with a piece of tube through the frame rail with giganto (slang word) 3/16" thick washers...

You might say, shut up Lucas, they already make a reciever for the front&#33; But I say it hangs too low&#33;

Lucas

WhiteRhino
April 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
SHUT UP LUCAS.

kb8ymf
April 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 14 2007, 10&#58;10 AM) 24187</div>

Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount.
Lucas
[/b]
Most bumpers I see with a D-ring right in the center are not properly tied back to the frame rail. That&#39;s why most manufacturers have the D-rings off to the side to tie into the frame horns. And 1/4" in my opinion is to thick. Done right, #4000lb vehicles should be able to get by with 3/16"

Actually Lucas this is probably what you mean...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gargantuan

j-kb8ymf

lgottler
April 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Apr 14 2007, 08&#58;10 PM) 24200</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 14 2007, 10&#58;10 AM) 24187

Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount.
Lucas
[/b]
Most bumpers I see with a D-ring right in the center are not properly tied back to the frame rail. That&#39;s why most manufacturers have the D-rings off to the side to tie into the frame horns. And 1/4" in my opinion is to thick. Done right, #4000lb vehicles should be able to get by with 3/16"

Actually Lucas this is probably what you mean...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gargantuan

j-kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

:D

Nobody ever said I didn&#39;t make things strong enough&#33; If 1/8" would work, I&#39;d bump it up to 1/4". Maybe thats why my lower control arms take 2 people to set into place....?

Well, I use the word Giganto. (ji-gan-to) not as big as ginormous (ji-nor-mos).

And its not my vehicle I&#39;m worried about, its Keiths 10,000lb 46" tired monster I need to concern myself with..... :D