PDA

View Full Version : another Ironman Cage

Creative Fab
March 31st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Here is a couple pics of Ryan Hart's new cage I just finished. Ryan is Whiterhino's son-in law.

jsawduste
March 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Looks good Pat.
Hopefully he will never need to though.......

WhiteRhino
March 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
You put the grab handles in the wrong spot. :ahhh:

Creative Fab
April 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Mar 31 2007, 04&#58;22 PM) 23783</div>

You put the grab handles in the wrong spot. :ahhh:
[/b]

No I didnt, he said he hates yours :bootyshake: I know hate is a strong word, but it&#39;s his word not mine. and again :bootyshake:

WhiteRhino
April 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM
You guys gotta get your stories straight. He said you talked him into that location. :motz_6:

95geo
April 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Apr 1 2007, 12&#58;38 PM) 23804</div>

You guys gotta get your stories straight. He said you talked him into that location. :motz_6:
[/b]

something to consider about the grab handles, you might want to rotate them so they arent on the same plane as the side profile bar. if you were to roll over you would still be very likely to crush your hand. for that reason i like the soft nylon/foam handles jk has. they arent as rigid but in the event of a pinch happening something can give rather than your hand....

&#036;.02

it looks good though.

RockyTop
April 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
If I&#39;m in a Jeep that has those grab handles, I will only EVER use them to enter/exit the rig. Human beings are creatures of habit. Habits can allow you to become separated with your hands, arms with holding onto handles. I don&#39;t even stick my head out of a rig when it is moving.

Ironman, I&#39;d expect about 1 month or so after I get that engine in. You&#39;ll have a Red CJ7 up there for a Family cage w/ frame in. Also, if you still have that seat, I&#39;ll throw it in the back. :)

Creative Fab
April 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Yea the handles are just for entering and exiting. Mindy has a nice T-handle I built on the cage for her side and Ryan needs to just keep a grip on his tiny little low rider steering wheel :slap: that thing is hard to turn.

No problem Jay, the motor and the back seat will be waiting for ya&#33; The family cage will also be waiting, but in pieces :lmao:

WhiteRhino
April 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
I think there is some merit to rotating the handles in. I use mine alot when crawling and hill climbing for stability. I&#39;m just not sure how good they would be for entry if they were rotated in.

Also, since they are a smaller diameter, a hand holding one would not protrude beyond the cage.

And....... I have my nice windshield hoop that adds extra protection&#33; :woot:

95geo
April 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Apr 1 2007, 06&#58;42 PM) 23816</div>

Yea the handles are just for entering and exiting. Mindy has a nice T-handle I built on the cage for her side and Ryan needs to just keep a grip on his tiny little low rider steering wheel :slap: that thing is hard to turn.

No problem Jay, the motor and the back seat will be waiting for ya&#33; The family cage will also be waiting, but in pieces :lmao:
[/b]

im not sure how you can put a handle in an easy to grab spot and expect someone in a rollover situation to think "dont grab that one, its only for getting in" its one more thing to hit your head on too. i think about 2" of difference between the outsides of the tubes would be a big help and not make getting in any harder.

maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone by converting your t-handle into a hoop with 2 90* bends and about 10-12" of straight section, this way it could serve as both an entry assist and a grab handle... not to mention getting rid of about 5lbs of solid steel in the t-handle.

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/post-45-1154396666.jpg
:poke:

RockyTop
April 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Apr 1 2007, 06&#58;42 PM) 23816</div>
No problem Jay, the motor and the back seat will be waiting for ya&#33; The family cage will also be waiting, but in pieces :lmao: [/b]

No problem Pat, when I drop it off for the cage, I MAY have the wife talked into "discussing a Rear tire carrier/jerrican carrier". :ahhh: I love marriage and the neverending amount of asskissing to get something done to a Jeep. It keeps me going though, Chap Stock stock is soaring because of folks like me&#33;

WhiteRhino
April 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
I figure there are a bunch of different approaches to cages. To do a full blown cage with every bit of protection possible, a cage will get very expensive and also cumbersome for the typical family. (side bars, cross bars that limit front to back access, etc) For the guys doing comp, a full blown cage is virtually a requirement. They are surely gonna roll sooner or later.

But for the typical weekend warrior, the intent is more recreation oriented. It is like seatbelts....... you hope you will never need it.

And as a side note, the t-handle is only about 2.5 pounds. (1" dia x 12" long) :poke: I know a guy who carriers more than that in Potato chips. :lmao:

Creative Fab
April 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Apr 1 2007, 08&#58;01 PM) 23819</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Apr 1 2007, 06&#58;42 PM) 23816

[/b]

im not sure how you can put a handle in an easy to grab spot and expect someone in a rollover situation to think "dont grab that one, its only for getting in" its one more thing to hit your head on too. i think about 2" of difference between the outsides of the tubes would be a big help and not make getting in any harder.

maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone by converting your t-handle into a hoop with 2 90* bends and about 10-12" of straight section, this way it could serve as both an entry assist and a grab handle... not to mention getting rid of about 5lbs of solid steel in the t-handle.

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/post-45-1154396666.jpg
:poke:
[/b][/quote]

Here is an idea&#33; How about I build stuff for customers the way they want it and you not worry about it&#33;

This isnt a post about how Bryce would build a cage :poke:

lgottler
April 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Honestly, who really cares about the passengers?

I use my steering wheel to hold onto...and if that doesn&#39;t work, I plan on jumping&#33;

Seriously, do they make handles that can go onto your seatbelts, in say the 4 or 5 point harnesses? Up by your chest, so you can grab onto the belt to keep your hands from flailing and become one with the harness? Bad idea? Go away?

Lucas

MuddyPaws
April 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 2 2007, 06&#58;15 PM) 23854</div>

Seriously, do they make handles that can go onto your seatbelts, in say the 4 or 5 point harnesses? Up by your chest, so you can grab onto the belt to keep your hands from flailing and become one with the harness? Bad idea? Go away?

Lucas
[/b]

Yea...

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/ducktape.JPG

Creative Fab
April 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 2 2007, 06&#58;15 PM) 23854</div>

Honestly, who really cares about the passengers?

I use my steering wheel to hold onto...and if that doesn&#39;t work, I plan on jumping&#33;

Lucas
[/b]

I think the driver can hold onto the steering wheel, at least for a while, depends on how hard you roll and are flopping around inside your junk. If that is the case it wont matter what your holding, your screwed&#33;

The passenger can hold the oh jesus handle that is stock or the one like I built attached to the cage.
The subject could be beat to death, but at the end of the day it is whatever you want in your own vehicle and however you want to use it. And if Tim wants to use duct tape than who am I to tell him different :monkeydance:

Bult4mud
April 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Pat all your cages are stupid and id rather use black pvc than have u make me one

HAHAHAHA JK SORRY I DIDNT GET ANY ONE ON APRIL 1 SO HAPPY APRIL 4 BIAAATCHES ahahaahah

edit sorry toomuch coffe and redbull

MuddyPaws
April 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bult4mud &#064; Apr 4 2007, 12&#58;35 PM) 23886</div>

[/b]

:laughing2:

Creative Fab
April 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Apr 6 2007, 11&#58;40 PM) 23966</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bult4mud &#064; Apr 4 2007, 12&#58;35 PM) 23886

[/b]

:laughing2:
[/b][/quote]

x2