PDA

View Full Version : HP60, regular 60 or D70 for the rear ??

jsawduste
March 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Going along with Joe Jeeps post.

Starting to make plans for an axle swap(s) for next winter.

Front will be a HP60 from a 1 ton Ford. Have a good lead on a ball joint model one.

For the rear there are several choices;
Standard LP60
Standard LP 70
HP 60.

Already have the LP60 and 70 to work with.

But would the HP60 be a worthwhile upgrade ?
Factoring in the costs to buy another housing, parts and fab. required to set one up ?
Granted the HP60 would give a bit better driveline angle and a bit more clearance but are those factors worth it ?

Both the LP60/70 would need to narrowed and a locker of some sort installed. So that is a wash.
Nice thing about the 70 is that even with the stock shafts it is some 30-35% stronger then the 60. After narrowing the 70 axles could be reused by shorting and a respline. At cost a bit less thing doing a new shafts for the 60.

So in a nutshell a stock 70 would still be stronger then a modified 60 and likely cost less overall.

But again perhaps the added benifits of the HP60 would out weigh the 70 ??

Is this clear as mudd ???

What do you folks think ?

RockyTop
March 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I've always understood that some of the Dana 70's were 23 spline. Albeit, larger diameter shafts, but they taper, where as the 60 is the same diametet throughout. I could be wrong though.

jsawduste
March 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RockyTop &#064; Mar 20 2007, 06&#58;51 AM) 23427</div>

I&#39;ve always understood that some of the Dana 70&#39;s were 23 spline. Albeit, larger diameter shafts, but they taper, where as the 60 is the same diametet throughout. I could be wrong though.
[/b]

That could be. There were a number of 70 flavoprs offered.

According to the Dana BOM the 70 2U that followed me home came with 35 splines. The axles are full hold diameter all the way from end to end.

From the Dana web site:
Dana 60 is capable of some 5,000 +/- lbs/ft of torque.
Dana 70 is 8,500 +/- lbs/ft.

Think now of the torque the engine puts out and the resullting multipication of the transmission/transfercase.

Interesting the housing uses the same diff cover. Ring gear is 10.5. Tubes are 3 5/8.
Seems a bit of extra webbing on the sides account for most of the housing strength.

lgottler
March 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I&#39;m confused :D

The HP60 you are talking about, is that going to be a purchased housing like aftermarket? If so, you will be at 35 spline in there with D70 spindles to fit the 35 spline shafts, correct? So your HP60 will be a D70 with a D60 diff at 35 spline. I&#39;d do that&#33; Driveline angle and ground clearance are worth it&#33;

LP60 I wouldn&#39;t do unless its a good price (I run one cuz it was free&#33;). You can upgrade it to accept D70 shafts by boring out the spindles (or if your shortening, might as well put on D70 spindles). But it would still be a low pinion axle.

D70 would be an overkill axle in my opinion. Sure its got a bigger diff, but do you need that along with the 100lbs more metal in the housing&#33;? Yes, it would be bomb proof in your Jeep&#33;

In my opinion, if I were to have the time to build one from scratch that I needed to narrow anyways, I would shoot for a HP version with 35 spline shafts with the best ground clearance I can afford to have without breaking ring and pinions...I like the Hi9&#39;s, but I&#39;ve got a baby and no money, so I&#39;m boring out my D60 spindles for a 35 spline shaft&#33;

GL

Lucas

jsawduste
March 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Mar 20 2007, 10&#58;24 AM) 23437</div>

I&#39;m confused :D

The HP60 you are talking about, is that going to be a purchased housing like aftermarket? If so, you will be at 35 spline in there with D70 spindles to fit the 35 spline shafts, correct? So your HP60 will be a D70 with a D60 diff at 35 spline. I&#39;d do that&#33; Driveline angle and ground clearance are worth it&#33;

LP60 I wouldn&#39;t do unless its a good price (I run one cuz it was free&#33;). You can upgrade it to accept D70 shafts by boring out the spindles (or if your shortening, might as well put on D70 spindles). But it would still be a low pinion axle.

D70 would be an overkill axle in my opinion. Sure its got a bigger diff, but do you need that along with the 100lbs more metal in the housing&#33;? Yes, it would be bomb proof in your Jeep&#33;

In my opinion, if I were to have the time to build one from scratch that I needed to narrow anyways, I would shoot for a HP version with 35 spline shafts with the best ground clearance I can afford to have without breaking ring and pinions...I like the Hi9&#39;s, but I&#39;ve got a baby and no money, so I&#39;m boring out my D60 spindles for a 35 spline shaft&#33;

GL
[/b]
Lucas,
Thanks for the input.

The LP60 was part of a package deal (HP44/D60) I got last year. Ended up using the HP44 for the build. Which will be replaced by a HP60 (sitting in the garage) next winter.

The D70 I got for free.

To use a HP60 would mean having to go out and purchase a housing etc. So I need to justify the added cost considering I already have two axles.

Soooo, need to take a step back and figure out which way to go. The HP would be the logical choice if &#036;&#036; was no object. Going to to a BOM of parts and see what all is the best way to go.

Truly respect any and all input.

Thanks

Lucas

joe_jeep
March 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
isnt the 70 u a the sought after flat bottom unit? i was thinking the u was the good 70. i could be wrong. hp 60 is nice but alot of money. but your gonna spend alot on narrowing and a locker anyway? i guess its a wash. price em both if the 70 is alot cheaper go that route. if not go hp60. even try to sell the 60 and the 70 to off set the cost of the hp60. the hp runs the ring gear backwords and that is weaker&#33;
mabey try to shave the 70 housing to see if you can get it to a respectable weight and higher clearance. good luck