PDA

View Full Version : tires?

joe_jeep
March 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
im about to start an axle swap on my tj. its gonna take a while due to the money involved. im not in a hurry cause my drivetrain works well as is and is ready to wheel till the swap happens. after the swap ill need tires and rims. gonna be cheap black steel wheels like always. but tires im kinda torn. i was thinkin and probably will buy a 12/38/15 swamper tsl. fairly cheap and pretty durable. also thought about 14.5/38.5/15 swamper sx's? a little more money a little heavier. what about ground hawgs? i never see them around any more. used to be popular, but just kinda died. they still make them. priced a similarly to the swamper sx's. are these not aggressive enuff? this is like an all terrain compared to a swamper? or is there real problems with them i dont know about? any one running them?? i was thinkin about being different and getting a set but dont wanna regret it later! thx

95geo
March 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Mar 19 2007, 10&#58;00 AM) 23408</div>

im about to start an axle swap on my tj. its gonna take a while due to the money involved. im not in a hurry cause my drivetrain works well as is and is ready to wheel till the swap happens. after the swap ill need tires and rims. gonna be cheap black steel wheels like always. but tires im kinda torn. i was thinkin and probably will buy a 12/38/15 swamper tsl. fairly cheap and pretty durable. also thought about 14.5/38.5/15 swamper sx&#39;s? a little more money a little heavier. what about ground hawgs? i never see them around any more. used to be popular, but just kinda died. they still make them. priced a similarly to the swamper sx&#39;s. are these not aggressive enuff? this is like an all terrain compared to a swamper? or is there real problems with them i dont know about? any one running them?? i was thinkin about being different and getting a set but dont wanna regret it later&#33; thx
[/b]

1 take your time, it will pay off in 2 years
2 you need tires BEFORE the swap so you know what room you have to work with.... this is how you avoid slicing a tire on a bumper or sheetmetal
3 groundhogs are outdated, i would suggest iroks sx&#39;s or maxxis trepadors or creepy&#39;s, the last 2 if you arent worried about cost too much

lgottler
March 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yup, seems like the top few tires, everyone that runs them thinks the world of them, so you really can&#39;t go wrong. To get the full performance out of any of the Bias tires, I would strongly suggest a beadlock of some kind. My .02, just pick the largest out of the 2 or 3 sizes you were thinking about, of course factor in how you wheel and how long the axles will last&#33;

I&#39;ve only seen one set being wheeled. They were mildly grooved and did no better or worse in the mud than the TSL&#39;s did, but no idea on how they do in rocks. I&#39;ve heard they were very stiff, so...

Good Luck

Lucas

joe_jeep
March 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
i heard good things about the creepy crawlers bryce. ill look into them. they look nice too&#33; im leaning towards the swampers and ill probably go that route. the last set i had worked well and were faily cheap. the goodyear mtr&#39;s i bought last time just didnt cut it in the mud&#33; good on the street and rocks, but not in the mud. i put about 1500 miles on this truck in the last 3 years. tire wear is a non issue. thx

jsawduste
March 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Mar 19 2007, 06&#58;53 PM) 23420</div>

i heard good things about the creepy crawlers bryce. ill look into them. they look nice too&#33; im leaning towards the swampers and ill probably go that route. the last set i had worked well and were faily cheap. the goodyear mtr&#39;s i bought last time just didnt cut it in the mud&#33; good on the street and rocks, but not in the mud. i put about 1500 miles on this truck in the last 3 years. tire wear is a non issue. thx
[/b]

I had the Nitto Mud Grapplers (33&#96;s) and loved them.

On the new build I wanted to run 37&#96;s but the Nittos only came in a 17" wheel for a 37. Called and talked to Nitto and they have no plans to make 37&#96;s in a 15" rim.

Second choice was the Maxxis CC&#96;s. 37 x 12.50&#96;s so that is what i am running now. While KOZ is putting the finshing touches on the YJ I am not expecting the CC&#96;s to work as well as the Nitto&#96;s. IMHO, could be wrong but that is my gut feeling.

Have already started putting goodies away to update to 17" wheels with HP60 (to replace the HP44) up front and a HP60 or a D70 (up from a 8.8) in the back.

Figure if I am going to run 17&#96;s I might as well do the 8 lug floaters at the same time.

Tire of choice will then be back to the Nitto MG&#96;s. Unless the CC&#96;s really surprise me on there performance.

Moral of the story is like what the others have said. Do you homework first then do the Jeep.