PDA

View Full Version : People needed in Lansing on Tuesday March 6th

Yetti
March 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Extremely important!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We need people in Lansing Tuesday.

Here is why..... At 5:00 pm, i got a call from representative Sheltrown. They had just come out of a meeting with those in opposition to house bill 4323. We did decent, holding our own, but with strong opposition from cram, things being led by MDOT.

Two main issues, damage to road shoulders and enforcement. There is a long standing tussle between county commissions (mac) and road commissions, (cram) over the roads. Today, MAC refused to surrender more than the 30% control number in 4323 to cram, in addition, MAC refused to agree in changing the 50/50 split on the citation money in 44323. Where does that leave us, there will be more meetings at the above level between now and the 13th, the day of the committe vote. We are not a part of them.

Next Tuesday, the 6th of March is our day, probably the most important in this whole drama. It is testimony day. This in where the game of politics gets really good. The meeting last just 1 1/2 hours. We can expect all the opponents to be there. I will not get into all the details for fear of losing you.

There has been 3 chosen to speak for the ORV community, two minutes each. Be at the Anderson Building at 10:30, if you are standing on the front steps of the Capitol, it is across the street and a little to your left. Parking ramp next door.

The most valuable thing we can have that day are hand written letters. Not e-mails, not phone calls to your representative., but hand written letters supporting 4323. Its going to be tough, but they will be like gold. We need one more thing, bodies. The room seats about 100, there will be 70 empty seats, we need to fill every seat, we need to fill the hallway, we need to fill the foyer and pour out onto the sidewalk. If we can do this at 10:30 a.m. On a tuesday, we have sent a message that lansing fully understands. The people are making a strong statement! how bad do you want this bill? nothing comes easy, sacrifices and involvement are a must. Get on the phone and get busy, we can make 4323 become a reality. We must be there to support the legislators who support us. 50 co-sponsors to a bill don't happen every day, we have friends! sometime tomorrow, we will have a conference call with ama, aatva, and ccc and plan further action. We urge you to talk this up on the forums, get the word out, if we do not fill those 70 seats, our stock takes a dive. We will get back to you asap on how to deliver the letters. Sorry about the short notice, but this is politics and tuesday is a major step in what we have to do to win.
LATER-DICK--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarhead
March 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Love the Politics while most of us are at work. I'll have to check my situation at work on Monday to see what Tuesday will look like. If anyone is thinking of going post here or send me a PM.

Trail_Fanatic
March 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
We also have to show support by email.
Email each House Natural Resources Committee Representative by Monday.

We're down to the wire and need a last minute 'push' to get this through Committee.
Your Email only has to be one sentence:

Please support HB4323.

If you want to say anything more, that's great.

Yetti
March 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I don't know how many folks will show up. I don't know if there will be treehuggers there protesting in opposition. I do know we need everyone we can get. if not the bill may not have the horsepower behind it to move ahead without a fight. I was over at the AMAs website and they are asking that everyone email like crazy, so have at it.

I copied this from the AMA's site

Step Date Activity
1. Done Bill is drafted in “blueback” form and submitted.

2. Tuesday, February 27Bill is introduced to the House by Representative Sheltrown with more than an average number of co-sponsors. The Bill will then have an official number and become available on the www.House.Michigan website Shortly thereafter, Michigan Motorized Recreation Council will publish their analysis.

3. Tuesday, March 6thTestimony day. Various governmental agencies present their position before the the House Committee. Very short time frame. This is where your e-mails to members of the Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources Committee are extremely important. We need all eleven members to recieve plenty of response from Michigan ORV users. Can do so until the end of the business day on March 5th.

4. Tuesday, March 13thThe House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural resources Committee votes on the bill. Continue to send e-mails until end of business day, March 12th

5. TBDThe House votes on the bill and another round of e-mails (see the theme yet?). This time however the emails need to go to your individual Representative's in the House. We especially need to show support from the Metro areas here.

6. TBDThe Senate votes on the bill and yet another round of e-mails this time to your individual Senator.

7. TBDThe governor votes on the bill and the last round of emails will go to Governor Granholm herself.

Please remember the following points in any correspondence (either verbal, written, or email)
Keep it simple
Use YOUR OWN WORDS
Say Thank You
Provide your name and address.

These guys want people to keep Emailing until the 12th of March I don't know why Dick Ranney wanted snail mail?

The CommitteeJoel Sheltrown (D)
103rd District, Committee Chair
e-mail: joelsheltrown@house.mi.gov
phone: 517-373-3817
Kate Ebli (D)
56th District, Vice-Chair
e-mail: KateEbli@house.mi.gov
phone: 517-373-2617
Terry L. Brown (D)
84th District
e-mail: terrybrown@house.mi.gov
phone: 517-373-0476