PDA

View Full Version : Lockers? spools? ????

ganz
February 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Finally broke the rear axle in the Jeep.
time to do the upgrade.

want some input from anyone and evreyone.

What is the best thing to put in the axles. traction wise and why.

I was thinking,
spool in the rear D60
Detroit Locker in the front D44
maybe spool in both???
going to run 35 to 37 inch tires. swampers most likley.
any thoughts.

Thanks Ganz

WhiteRhino
February 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
It depends a little on how much street driving you are going to do. I have a spool in the rear and love it. I ran lockrites and arbs. The spool has been the most dependable. I have no issues driving it on the road other than it is hard on things when turning sharp on pavement. But a d60 with 37" tires is pretty safe. I don't have any experience with a detroit in the back.

Front....... are you going with any type of steering assist? If not, go with a selectable because you will get in tight spots that will not let you turn when locked up. If you are doing an assist, do a detroit.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I run a spool in the rear and a Detroit in the front (Rear 9"/Front 44) and 37's. I haven't noticed any difficulty in turning yet and the chirp is barely noticeable on the street (running SSR Radials). It might be a different story depending on the terrain but I haven't had the need for power assist yet.

A Detroit in the rear has some "quirky" street driving effects but you can get used to them.

lgottler
February 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I have a Detroit in the rear and I'd probably just do a spool next time because the Jeep stopped being my DD.

Front, I run a Detroit and have no issues turning 99% of the time. The 1% is when you have a tire jammed into something and the other dangling in air! But, thinking about it, I guess I drive a little different, I don't try to crank the wheel at a stop, I always try to roll just a little while turning..?

Lucas

Ridgerunner
February 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thats the same set up I'm running with detroits at both ends. If I did it again, I'd probobly put a spool in the back cause I'm not driving it on the street as much as I thought I would. the spool will save ya some dough also.

Good luck with the swap!

joe_jeep
February 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
detroit in the rear of a jeep is a little weird. bangs, squeals around corners, but sometimes its fine. kinda hard to predict.
a spool is rough all the time, but predictible. ive had my detroit ratchet or unload so hard it put me in the next lane b4! both r very good choices, and nearly indestructable.

keithshotrodshop
February 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I have a detroit in my jimmy, and it drives very nicely on the street with a manual transmission and 36's. In my sammy I have a welded rear and 33's. It actually drives pretty nice as well, as long as you don't try to turn it really tight on good pavement. As for the 60 rear, it has 44 size shafts, so strength may be an issue if you street drive it with a spool and 37's. You might want to upgrade to 35 spline shafts or a dana 70.

WhiteRhino
February 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I thought the stock shafts in a rear 60 were larger than a 44?????????????

lgottler
February 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Nope, both are 1.31 30 spline.... its FF vs. SF....

Roadhouse
February 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Feb 20 2007, 10&#58;19 AM) 22676</div>

Front....... are you going with any type of steering assist? If not, go with a selectable because you will get in tight spots that will not let you turn when locked up. If you are doing an assist, do a detroit.
[/b]

pish, pish, I have a Detroit in my front D44 and I don&#39;t have turning issues without hydro.

I also haven&#39;t left the garage in 4 months :monkeydance:

calvynandhobbs
February 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM
I had a spool in the rear of my D44 in my CJ7 with 35s and liked it a lot. The tires would scrub some when pulling into a parking spot, but I liked the predictability for street driving and it never let me down. I ran a trac-loc in the front and it worked great. Never had a problem with steering except in deep snow it would try to push straight sometimes rather than turning.

ganz
February 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the input.
Ganz