PDA

View Full Version : YJ brakes

jsawduste
February 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Project Crash II is coming along nicely. In the next week or so we may even have a runner. :D

One thing I have not given a lot of consideration is the braking system.

While it is getting put together with a rebuilt OEM booster/master cylinder. Wondering if these parts are going to be adquate for our needs.

Considering that the rear axle is now a 8.8 with disc`s. The front is a HP D44 set up with 1/2 ton outers. Plus 37`s and a fair amount of extra vehicle weight.

How well can I expect the stock power system to work ?

What upgrades should be considered ?

Perhaps a different booster/master or even a hydro boost system ?

Thanks

Creative Fab
February 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
The stock booster will work fine, but find yourself a master cylinder for a 4 wheel disc application.

A mid to late eighties Cadillac Eldorado has such an animal and their inexpensive at your local Auto Zone or Advance Auto.

Isn't Crash II at a shop getting work done?

joe_jeep
February 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM
brake proportioning valve is set of for rear drum. it will hold a small amount of line pressure in the rear braking system. when this is hooked to a rear disc application it will overheat the rear brakes. find a proportioning vavle from a 4 wheel disc grand cherokee. should fix the problem.

jsawduste
February 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the replies Pat -n- Joe.

Indeed KOZ does have Crash for the final wrapup on items that are beyond my ability to do.
James and his group have been simply great to work with. As a result Crash is going to be better then i could of ever hoped.

He (and his group) have the talent and the tools to do the job right.

Since he is running the braided line for the brakes/fuel and fact that Crash has the full PSC ram steering it seemed that this would be a good time to address any braking issues. Such as a Hydro Boost or a different MC/Booster.

It never hurts to become educated on areas that you are not familar with. That way you can help to make better, informed decisions.

joe_jeep
February 12th, 2007, 02:00 AM
how big of a tire are you running? and how much street use will this truck see? i would think that hydro will not be needed unless you go real big in the tire department, or its gonna see alot of street use, where a panic stop could save a life. for a trail rig it should have plenty of stopping power. good new or freshly cut rotors and perhaps some ceramic or carbon metallic pads should suffice i would think.

jsawduste
February 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Feb 12 2007, 01&#58;00 AM) 22475</div>

how big of a tire are you running? and how much street use will this truck see? i would think that hydro will not be needed unless you go real big in the tire department, or its gonna see alot of street use, where a panic stop could save a life. for a trail rig it should have plenty of stopping power. good new or freshly cut rotors and perhaps some ceramic or carbon metallic pads should suffice i would think.
[/b]

Joe,
Thanks for the interest and help.

Running 37&#96;s for tires.

While the YJ is aimed squarely at off roading. I cannot escape the fact that it will be used as a third vehicle. One for local around town duties. Although limited, it will be used that way.

The kids would much rather ride in the Jeep then my pickup or Mom&#96;s SUV. :D And I would guess if I need to make a quick trip to the hardware store i&#96;d likley take the Jeep myself :rolleyes: ...........That&#96;s what Lucas does :P

lgottler
February 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Just the fact your running discs in the back will do a whole lot to help you stop&#33;

You can always upgrade to a larger MC if you find you don&#39;t have enough with the stock setup.

Now, I have heard of people modifying the proportioning valve, removing a spring or something like that when they put on disc brakes....maybe search Pirate for Van Master Cylinder upgrades etc...

Personally, I put a Dodge truck MC in mine with rear drums, stops better than stock, but I had the dual piston front calipers and I didn&#39;t think the volume of fluid that along with the larger rear brake cylinder the stock MC could accomodate....

GL

Lucas