View Full Version : NEW ORV BILL INTRODUCED

Creative Fab
February 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
From: Michigan Motorized Recreation Council 2-6-07 4:38 p.m.

SHELTROWN ORV BILL

We are assured the Bill will be introduced either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. As early as possible, we will send out a review for your information and we ask, please do not “read into” the Bill when it becomes available on line. If you have any doubts or questions, please feel free to contact Representative Sheltrowns office @ 1 888 347-8103 or Dick Ranney @ 989 469-2405.

In the meantime, we ask that you contact your State Representative either by letter, phone or e-mail, especially those on the House Committee of Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Department of Natural Resources and voice your support for this positive ORV legislation.

Your failure to become involved could mean in the near future you can read a similar headline;

“MICHIGAN ROADWAYS CLOSED TO ORV USE”

This is real, not a hype, fear tactic or spin. This is now clearly in the hands of the people. YOU must get involved, please post and contact your Representative in the House immediately!

phittie1100
February 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 7 2007, 10&#58;27 AM) 22346</div>

As early as possible, we will send out a review for your information and we ask, please do not “read into” the Bill when it becomes available on line. If you have any doubts or questions, please feel free to contact Representative Sheltrowns office @ 1 888 347-8103 or Dick Ranney @ 989 469-2405.
[/b]

"Please do not &#39;read into&#39; the Bill" - not sure what they mean by that?

Trail_Fanatic
February 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I thinnk they mean "don&#39;t assume anything". If it isn&#39;t clear in the bill, we need to ask to have it clarified so that future legislators and judges can&#39;t try to interpret it thier way instead of as intended.

joe_jeep
February 8th, 2007, 02:54 AM
aww no link to them? o well ill figre it out somehow.

RockyTop
February 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
This is good to know and I will delve further into this.

Zookeeper
March 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM
FYI...

HOUSE PASSES OFF-ROAD VEHICLE BILL

A board of county commissioners could authorize the use of off-road recreation vehicles on the shoulders of county roads via an ordinance - and the municipalities in those counties could do the same if their commissioners have already signed off - under legislation passed unanimously by the House on Tuesday.

HB 4323 was amended on the floor to open up the bill&#39;s applicability to all counties, not just those located in Northern Michigan, as well as specify that such an ordinance would not apply beginning five years after the effective date of the legislation.

mitrail400ex
March 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Mar 21 2007, 06&#58;28 AM) 23466</div>

" as well as specify that such an ordinance would not apply beginning five years after the effective date of the legislation."
[/b]

Does this mean that the bill won&#39;t go into effect until 5 years after the signing date, or that it expires 5 years from the signing date?

The area of my brain that handles reading comprehension is still at home in bed, so speak slowly and use small words. :lol: Actually, this sounds like a huge victory and the fact that they are even considering making it state-wide is excellent. maybe they&#39;ll finally see just how powerful (and numerically large, ie voters) the offroad enthusiast community is in Michigan.

joe_jeep
March 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
wow it seems like we won this one&#33; that cant be true can it?
are we sure there is no loophole to totally screw us out of something? seems to good to be true. i hope its a good thing, sure seems that way on paper. i wonder how many counties actually will pass a positive proposal to allow us now?

Trail_Fanatic
March 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
It&#39;s not won yet.
It still has to pass the Senate and the Governor&#39;s Desk.

Now it&#39;s time to send emails in those directions.

Zookeeper
March 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Mar 21 2007, 03&#58;14 PM) 23495</div>

It&#39;s not won yet.
It still has to pass the Senate and the Governor&#39;s Desk.

Now it&#39;s time to send emails in those directions.
[/b]

Pat&#39;s right, this is only one of several hurdles that have to be jumped.

As for the "five years" issue, I&#39;m reading that as a sunset date. That means the law automatically ends in five years unless extended by the Legislature at that time. It&#39;s a common practice to do this on controversial issues -- you can sometimes pick up legislative votes by offering a sunset date and forcing a review of the issue again later.

Trail_Fanatic
April 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Latest Update:

SENATE EFFORT ON HB 4323

April 9, 2007

The Senate will return from Easter recess on April 17th. Our efforts over the next few days will determine the passage of HB 43423. This morning I learned of a way to make our e-mails far more affective and not be lost in the shuffle of Lansing.

Please read the following and do likewise along with every one of your friends.

Address your e-mail to jbrewer@senate.michigan.gov The clerk of the Natural Resources Committee and all correspondence regarding HB 4323 has to be placed in the clerks hands and presented to the entire Committee.

On your e-mail under subject state, Chairman and Committee Members, Senate Natural Resources Committee.

Then a simple one or two paragraphs similar to as follows;

Dear Senators of the Natural Resources Committee:

I would like you to support the passage of HB 4323 as presented from the House because it offers greater protection for our environment, offers additional user safety, more enforcement, convenience, additional recreational opportunity and economic benefit to northern Michigan.

HB 4323 is a great foundation to manage Michigan’s tremendous ORV growth, now numbering over 350,000 titled machines with 195,000 of those using Michigan’s ORV Trail system.

Thank You for your consideration.

Dick Ranney

4120 Branham Rd.

National City, Mi. 48748