PDA

View Full Version : Deep Snow Run

WhiteRhino
February 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
With the large amount of lake effect snow on the west side, Jim M. (kb8ymf) and I are looking to shoot over there Saturday. Maybe spend the night depending on future discussions regarding times and locations.

This will be for well equipped vehicles. Dual lockers, 33" minimum (agressive) tires and a winch are required.

Who wants to go? :monkeydance:

timmy_69
February 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I might be intrested. I'll watch the thread for more info.

95geo
February 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
ok, now im starting to wish my truck was back together..... :WhiteRhino:

WhiteRhino
February 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Feb 5 2007, 03&#58;29 PM) 22294</div>

ok, now im starting to wish my truck was back together..... :WhiteRhino:
[/b]

Well.............. gert&#39;r done&#33;

lgottler
February 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Sweet&#33; Send me every picture you guys take&#33; I need cover material&#33;&#33;

Our winter run was 6-8" of snow and ice covered rocks uphill. The wife, baby, and myself are heading up the 24th to da UP for a weekend vacation, I hope the lake effect snow stops so we can make decent time&#33;

Have fun guys&#33;

Lucas

Petsan
February 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I&#39;m interested, where on the west side?

Ridgerunner
February 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Sorry Jim, I have other comitments this weekend, Hope you guys have a great ride&#33;

WhiteRhino
February 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Feb 7 2007, 06&#58;12 AM) 22339</div>

Sorry Jim, I have other comitments this weekend, Hope you guys have a great ride&#33;
[/b]

Yeah....... I had the band date on the calendar. Have fun&#33;

And thanks for the letter in the mail&#33; :yourock:

calvynandhobbs
February 7th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Jim, where are you heading over there? There is a large group heading to Evart Saturday morning. It is being hosted by the Sundowners and RPM will be leading the trails. Here&#39;s a link on 4Given4x4s board as well as a link to pics from last year. We didn&#39;t have anybody go in the hardcore group so the pictures are from the easy trails. I&#39;ll be there, but riding with someone else since my CJ was bought and picked up last night. Last year we divided into 2 groups based on vehicle capability and the hardcore group got into some nasty hill climbs. You&#39;re more than welcome to join us.

Roger

4given4x4 Trip Calendar-Evart Run (http://www.4given4x4.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4114)

2006 Evart Run Pics (http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l173/4Given4x4Pics/2006%20Calender%20Year/Evart%20Snow%20Run%20Feb06/)

WhiteRhino
February 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Roger, I did a run with Steve & RPM last year there in the winter. We had a great time. It now looks like we are going to meet up with your gang at least long enough to say "howdy".

Steve is going to point us to some of the tougher stuff. So, anybody who wants to go with us, be in Evart at 9:00 am.

There is a hotel on the right side, (can&#39;t remember name) where people will be meeting.

Hope to see you there.

Jim

Bult4mud
February 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Man wish i would have seen this sooner....

Deathdealer
February 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Feb 5 2007, 10&#58;43 AM) 22286</div>

With the large amount of lake effect snow on the west side, Jim M. (kb8ymf) and I are looking to shoot over there Saturday. Maybe spend the night depending on future discussions regarding times and locations.

This will be for well equipped vehicles. Dual lockers, 33" minimum (agressive) tires and a winch are required.

Who wants to go? :monkeydance:
[/b]

That leaves me out

calvynandhobbs
February 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
That leaves me out
[/b]

Kirk, you could always hang with us guys in the smaller rigs, not built so big with dual lockers. Now that I wrote this I just saw my sig. I guess I&#39;ll have to change it to Jeepless for a little while.

Creative Fab
February 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Looks like I am in for this one, Ill get the Jeep in the shop friday to change out the broken parts and pack the new trailer with sandwiches for Tab < he will be riding shotgun. See you guys at 9 in Evart :monkeydance:

Roadhouse
February 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 7 2007, 08&#58;07 PM) 22364</div>

Looks like I am in for this one, Ill get the Jeep in the shop friday to change out the broken parts and pack the new trailer with sandwiches for Tab < he will be riding shotgun. See you guys at 9 in Evart :monkeydance:
[/b]

What I thought we were working on my Heep Friday, Sat, and Sunday :poke:

Have a good time, let me know if you need help Friday getting ready.

WhiteRhino
February 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Pat,
Glad to have you join us. :wave:

Too bad you are stuck bringing Tab. :lmao:

I am checking with Steve to pick a good place to unload. It might be a bit crowded where the others will be.

See you there&#33;

ganz
February 8th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry Jim,
cant make it this time. have previous cometments.
thinking of going up the next weekend. try out the new springs i got from Pat.
Enjoy.
Ganz.............

calvynandhobbs
February 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It was a little crowded there last year, but they have a pretty good size parking lot. I brought my CJ up on a trailer last year and didn&#39;t have any problem unloading it there. It&#39;s probably a good idea to get an alternate place to unload.

WhiteRhino
February 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Well, we had a good time. The snow was not as deep as hoped, maybe 12" on average with a few spots closer to 18". But it made the hills and other obstacles more interesting.

We had a couple chances to winch, and in one case they picked on me even though no one else was willing to attempt a "true" challenge.

Pat rode solo as did John. (I heard some lame excuse as to why Tab bailed) Jim M and I both had the wives.

Had a chance to say howdy to some of the others. :wave:

All in all, a beautiful sunny day in the woods. :monkeydance:

Trail_Fanatic
February 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; Feb 7 2007, 07&#58;39 AM) 22341</div>

Jim, where are you heading over there? There is a large group heading to Evart Saturday morning. It is being hosted by the Sundowners and RPM will be leading the trails. Here&#39;s a link on 4Given4x4s board as well as a link to pics from last year. We didn&#39;t have anybody go in the hardcore group so the pictures are from the easy trails. I&#39;ll be there, but riding with someone else since my CJ was bought and picked up last night. Last year we divided into 2 groups based on vehicle capability and the hardcore group got into some nasty hill climbs. You&#39;re more than welcome to join us.

Roger
[/b]

Be careful out there. I hear through the &#39;grapevine&#39; that NO event permit has ever been pulled for one of these, and we ALL know how the DNR looks upon hill climbing on public land (except SL and Bull Gap).

I&#39;d hate to have GLFWDA stickered vehicles getting ticketed at a time when we&#39;re starting to really make progress.
Wouldn&#39;t look too good for us.

Maybe while you&#39;re there, you could explain the event permit requirements, insurance considerations, and how GLFWDA can assist them with both (as a MEMBER benefit, if they&#39;d care to join up).

P.S. Evart is too far from the coast to have received much in the way of snow. If you&#39;re looking for deeper, you have to come closer to the Lake.

Just thought you should know . . .
Good Luck and Have Fun&#33;

WhiteRhino
February 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Pat,

Not sure what you are trying to say. We had a total of 4, yes 4 vehicles totaling 6 people. There is no permit required for what we are doing.

As far as the others, you may be mistaken about permits and relationships with the local DNR since I know for a fact that Steve Kitchen has pulled permits and personally reviewed trails with the DNR riding with him in his vehicle.

And keep in mind the discussions about the DNR recognizing "in writing" that snow changes the rules.

Creative Fab
February 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
To add to what Jim said, the hill climbs in this area are in the forest roads and two tracks as the terrain is quite hilly.

I too am not sure where you were going with this.

Roadhouse
February 14th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Pics anyone??

WhiteRhino
February 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Naw........... it was jeeps (& a tracker) in the woods.

But Pat got some good horsepower video. Now if he could just figure out a way to post it. :poke:

calvynandhobbs
February 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I didn&#39;t even see Jim, Jim and Pat until after the run, but I went with one of the groups out. Here are the pics that I took.

4given4x4 Pics (http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l173/4Given4x4Pics/2007%20Calender%20Year/Evart%20Snow%20Run%20Feb07/)

Trail_Fanatic
February 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Feb 11 2007, 08&#58;48 PM) 22465</div>

To add to what Jim said, the hill climbs in this area are in the forest roads and two tracks as the terrain is quite hilly.

I too am not sure where you were going with this.
[/b]

My bad.
I must have my info crossed witgh another run in the area.
Glad to hear others are doin it the right way too.

Pics look like a nice area, have any GPS data?

RockyTop
February 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Looks like all had a great time. Forgot about this thread.

Creative Fab
February 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
This is the porqupine we came accross during the snow run, you will have to wait for the Boondocker for the rest of the pics.

RockyTop
February 18th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Wow&#33;