PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some big I-beams

keithshotrodshop
December 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Finally getting into the beginning stages of reworking my old cattle barn into a more user freindly shop. I need to get rid of some interior poles and need some big I-beams. What I need is 30 foot long, and at least 10 inches tall. I have some availble locally for a fair price, but if I can get some cheaper, used, free, whatever, I'm open to ideas. I really don't care how they look, as long as they are strong, and I need at least 3 for the project, but as many as 5 total.

WhiteRhino
December 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
30' long and only a 10" section? I hope you have some support posts in between or the new bus will look like the same.

keithshotrodshop
December 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, I plan some support beams, just in better places than I have now. Does anyone know what size I would need to support the roof and go 30 foot without supports? I bet they would have to be huge.

kb8ymf
December 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Engineered trusses would most likely be a better choice than 'I' beams pound for pound.
Size of beam also depends on amount of load on the roof. Both live and dead.
j-kb8ymf

keithshotrodshop
December 30th, 2006, 09:54 AM
You're probably right Jim, but I don't have that kind of dough, used Structural I-beams are availble in different sizes for fair prices at several local outlets. I may also go with the wood laminate beams, but I haven't priced those out yet. I've never been good at doing things the right way, but I always seem to get them done somehow. :comp26: