PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline and wire insulation

jsawduste
December 27th, 2006, 12:24 AM
For my stroker motor I needed to replace the fuel pump.
This is in order to supply the pressure and GPH that the stroker will need.

After doing a bit of study I found that a Mustang GT pump will work just fine. Supplies the pressures and GPH needed. Adapts to the 2.5 sending unit without many mods at all.

The stock 2.5 pump is self grounding to the sending unit itself. Therefore one power wire is all that is required.

Now the Mustang pump will need a seperate ground wire. Solder on a female spade connector on one end and a ring terminal on the other and we are all set. Internally grounding the pump within the tank to the pump mount itself.

The question is. Does anyone know if the insulation of a typical piece of stranded 14 gauage copper wire will melt in the presence of gasoline ? The OEM has wires going to the pump and sending unit and they dont seem to be affected.

I`d hate to find out that the insulation has melted and then plugged up an injector or another fuel system related part.

Sure I could cut a piece of wire and soak in gas for a bit but what about long term exposure ?

Thanks

kb8ymf
December 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsawduste &#064; Dec 26 2006, 11&#58;24 PM) 20946</div>

I&#96;d hate to find out that the insulation has melted and then plugged up an injector or another fuel system related part.
Sure I could cut a piece of wire and soak in gas for a bit but what about long term exposure ?
Thanks
[/b]
Most if not nearly all automotive wire is gasoline and oil resistant. Some of it is stamped or printed on the outside casing.
j-kb8ymf

Trail_Fanatic
December 28th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Look for wire type THHN - resistant to just about everything but God Himself.