PDA

View Full Version : Bead lock wheels

jsawduste
December 20th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks much to those whom were kind enough to reply to my 33/35 post. :D

Ended up going with the bigger is better additude and got a set of 37/12.50/15 Maxxis Creepy crawlers.

What are you folks running for bead lock wheels?

I really dont know much about them other then they will allow me to air down to sub 10 psi. Which here in Michigan sand can`t be a bad thing.

15 x 10`s would be the wheel of choice. 5 on 5.5 with a 3-3 1/4 center bore.

Right now I have the Maxxis mounted on a set of 15 x 8`s and the tread profile is a bit more rounded then i`d like to see.

Figuring the 15 x 10`s would help to flatten the tread radius and put more rubber on the road `er I mean dirt.

Thanks
John Edwards

Creative Fab
December 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I have Champions, I have installed several sets of Champions, I really like the Champions.

I like the aluminum beadlock wheels for the weight savings.

jsawduste
December 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Dec 20 2006, 08&#58;45 AM) 20775</div>

I have Champions, I have installed several sets of Champions, I really like the Champions.

[/b]

Hmm, you seem to like Champions &#96;eh Pat ? I&#96;ll give you a buzz and see if there are any specfic wheel you like :D

lgottler
December 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I use H1 rims which are out of the question for your 15" rims.... But consider something that locks both inner AND outer beads. I&#39;ve seen only one person lose an inner bead on beadlocks...so although rare, it does happen.

Any thought to Stauns inflatable rubber beadlock? If I ever have the need to go lighter, thats what I&#39;d do, pick up some heavy duty aluminum rims, and put the Stauns inside...would lock inner and outer beads and you could run damn near any style or design rim you like...

But you can&#39;t beat a 2 piece rim for ease of use and repair like the H1 rims. I think someone makes a 15" 2 piecer, but I&#39;m not sure....

Forgot to mention, the skinnier rims do let the tire protect the rim from damage... where a wide rim would invite more "hits" than a skinnier one would. I wouldn&#39;t hesitate to run 14" wide tires on my 8.5" wide rims...

GL

Lucas

kb8ymf
December 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Dec 20 2006, 09&#58;12 AM) 20778</div>

But consider something that locks both inner AND outer beads. I&#39;ve seen only one person lose an inner bead on beadlocks...so although rare, it does happen.

But you can&#39;t beat a 2 piece rim for ease of use and repair like the H1 rims.
Lucas
[/b]

Walkers, comp vehicles use them all the time, pretty bullet proof. Also this rim is a designed and cast specific as a beadlocked wheel not an add on welded construction like a lot of beadlocked stuff out there. Plus the inner bead is locked by a patented (I think) bead that makes it almost impossible to remove, therefore hard to pull off the rim.
j-kb8ymf

Creative Fab
December 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsawduste &#064; Dec 20 2006, 08&#58;58 AM) 20777</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Dec 20 2006, 08&#58;45 AM) 20775

[/b]

Hmm, you seem to like Champions &#96;eh Pat ? I&#96;ll give you a buzz and see if there are any specfic wheel you like :D
[/b][/quote]

No need to "buzz" I like Champions :wub:

But the Walker Evans are cool looking, they didnt make them when I bought my Champions.

I just took apart a set of the new WELD Racing Wheels beadlocks, not impressed with the thin "lock ring" or the 12 point head on the 1/4" ring bolts. Plus the guy didnt use anti-sieze when he put them together and galled the threads. They are sharp looking though.

keithshotrodshop
December 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I run dual beadlock wheels as well. I would definately consider them if I were you. I know for a fact that there were many a time in Canada and the U.P. that I would have ripped the tire off the inner bead at the 4 pounds I was running.

WhiteRhino
December 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
I have standard 8" steel wheels with weld on outer beadlocks. Have worked fine for me on a budget. I have had the inner bead pop one time but I consider that a fluke. I typically run 6-8 psi.

So, for a budget, the weld ons work.

joe_jeep
December 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
i think lucas is right, the stauns seem real nice&#33; could i get a flat on my beadlock then?? the inner bag loose air??
i run an 8 inch cheap rim and 12.5x35 tires. ive run 6 psi with my mtr&#39;s and 4 psi with my swamper tsl&#39;s. never lost a bead. no beadlocks. if the tread is rounding at the top try lowering the pressure about 2 or 3 pounds see if it looks better to ya.

WhiteRhino
December 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Dec 21 2006, 02&#58;45 PM) 20837</div>

i think lucas is right, the stauns seem real nice&#33; could i get a flat on my beadlock then?? the inner bag loose air??
i run an 8 inch cheap rim and 12.5x35 tires. ive run 6 psi with my mtr&#39;s and 4 psi with my swamper tsl&#39;s. never lost a bead. no beadlocks. if the tread is rounding at the top try lowering the pressure about 2 or 3 pounds see if it looks better to ya.
[/b]

It&#39;s only a matter of time. You will either push it off with a rock or stuff wood and debries into the bead. The only place I have "CONSISTENTLY" run low pressure successfully without beadlocks is the dunes.

Bult4mud
December 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I dont run beadlocks nor am i hardcore, but like jim said when i run Low pressure off road i usuallay stuff debris in my bead chucks of wood off logs or dirt. I have yet to loose a bead but i have a good many of them leak on me.

95geo
December 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
8" with weld ons are great for the money. you rarely loose an inner bead so the benifits of doubles dont seem that drastic.

walkers
omf
kmc makes a new beadlock that looks pretty cool too
trail gear
robby gordon
trail ready if you looking for steel, the aluminum ones scare me from all of the broken bead issues

by going with stauns you dont do anything to help the durability of the wheel you are still at risk of catching the lip on a rock and tearing or cracking the rim.

stazworks for doubles, walkers, omf (expensive) hutchinson doubles (REALLY expensive) i dont know if gordons or trail gears are available in 15s