View Full Version : TREMENDOUS NEW OPPORTUNITY!, Huron-Manistee NF seeks to create a 4WD "Road Route System"

Trail_Fanatic
December 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Read the link below:

http://www.glfwda.org/forms/letter.pdf

This is the opportunity we've been waiting for!
I've heard complaints for years about how the DNR won't listen to what we want.
I'm sure the DNR will submit comments, but they are NOT the deciding agency for this project!
We stand a VERY REAL chance of getting our first official 4WD Route designated through this project.
If we can make this a successful venture, long term, we can bring it to the DNR in the future and ask them again what it was their 'concerns' were with 4WD trails.

PLEASE!
If you only do one thing to Support The Sport . . .
If you only write one letter in your life . . .

Write Ramona and let her know what you want to see in a FOUR WHEEL DRIVE Trail System!
This letter doesn't specify a time frame for comment but a 30 day comment period is typical.
Comments MUST be rec'd by the NFS by DECEMBER 30th, 2006.

If you know the area they're looking at, please make site specific comments.
If you don't, please let them know what you would like to see in a Michigan OHV Trail System.
See link for ideas: http://www.glfwda.org/forums/index.php?sho...an+Trail+system (http://www.glfwda.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2286&hl=Michigan+Trail+system)

P.S. The NFS defines:
OHV = Off Highway Vehicle (Jeeps, 4x4 trucks, SUVs, etc.)
ORV = Off Road Vehicle (Quads)

Ridgerunner
December 8th, 2006, 06:15 AM
[quote]
Read the link below:

http://www.glfwda.org/forms/letter.pdf

Write Ramona and let her know what you want to see in a FOUR WHEEL DRIVE Trail System!

Pat,
do you Know if she has an Email address,or should we send it USPS?
Thanks for the update,it really does sound like a great oppertunity to establish somthing like this here in Mi.

phittie1100
December 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Pat - same as Karl's comment, can we post our comments electronically somehow? I didn't see a snail-mail address for Ramona, either.

timbercruiser
December 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Took down the number. Will try to call.

kb8ymf
December 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Just use the snail mail Red Apple Road address at the top of the Forest Service notification letter Pat posted.
My letter is going to day.
Here's a thought guys, How about seeing if the USFS will lay down a rock course for us????
It's in my letter.
j-kb8ymf

Trail_Fanatic
December 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I called Ramona.

Her email address is:

RVenegas@FS.Fed.US

She also told me that she will accept comments until the 8th of January. She wishes to sit down face-to-face with the four wheeling crowd at that point and review the comments and how the NFS and the Four Wheelers think the process should work. She is preparing a new manual for the NFS about how to 'create' an OHV system on NFS lands.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Dec 8 2006, 03&#58;52 PM) 20522</div>

Here&#39;s a thought guys, How about seeing if the USFS will lay down a rock course for us????
It&#39;s in my letter.
j-kb8ymf
[/b]

Right now she&#39;s trying to designate trails "as they are" on the ground.

There&#39;s nothing that says we can&#39;t get it later, but for the sake of expedience she&#39;s looking to NOT cost the FS any money yet.

PS. She also let me know that she&#39;s receiving comments from the green side berating her for even thinking of opening up more land to 4x4 use.

Ridgerunner
December 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info Pat, I&#39;ll get somthing off soon&#33;

Renegade II
December 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
That&#39;s in the area of the first couple years of the Great Lakes Jeep Jamborees. I helped set trails for that. There used to be some really good areas, but when I was last there most were closed or of questionable legality. If anyone is going up that way get a hold of me and I"ll point you to the ones I remember, if there even still open :rollseyes:

kb8ymf
December 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renegade II &#064; Dec 8 2006, 05&#58;05 PM) 20525</div>

That&#39;s in the area of the first couple years of the Great Lakes Jeep Jamborees. I helped set trails for that. There used to be some really good areas, but when I was last there most were closed or of questionable legality. If anyone is going up that way get a hold of me and I"ll point you to the ones I remember, if there even still open :rollseyes:
[/b]

Not that they&#39;d be much of a challenge but are the &#39;Polish Meadows&#39; still open? I really couldn&#39;t believe the USFS just let the JJ group run that and they all stood around and watched the guys/gals do donuts and fling mud far and wide. It still is unbelievable to me today they let this go on.

The best year was the first, 1990 when the hill near Mesick was still open. Got some wild video of people going up that hill
Better yet, in 1987 when we ran Jeep Cup, there was even more available.
Every year many miles less. I&#39;d be suprised if there were 20 miles of decent stuff near Caberfae still open.
jim kb8ymf

Trail_Fanatic
December 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renegade II &#064; Dec 8 2006, 05&#58;05 PM) 20525</div>

[/b]

Not that they&#39;d be much of a challenge but are the &#39;Polish Meadows&#39; still open? I really couldn&#39;t believe the USFS just let the JJ group run that and they all stood around and watched the guys/gals do donuts and fling mud far and wide. It still is unbelievable to me today they let this go on.

The best year was the first, 1990 when the hill near Mesick was still open. Got some wild video of people going up that hill
Every year many miles less. I&#39;d be suprised if there were 20 miles of decent stuff near Caberfae still open.
jim kb8ymf

(Failed attempt to double quote in a post)

I don&#39;t suppose either of you could point them out on a topo map?

PS. I should mention that this isn&#39;t an &#39;official&#39; project yet.
The letter I received is a &#39;pre-scoping&#39; letter seeking input.

Renegade II
December 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Dec 8 2006, 05&#58;25 PM) 20526</div>

Not that they&#39;d be much of a challenge but are the &#39;Polish Meadows still open? I really couldn&#39;t believe the USFS just let the JJ group run that and they all stood around and watched the guys/gals do donuts and fling mud far and wide. It still is unbelievable to me today they let this go on.

jim kb8ymf
[/b]

Not sure of the meadows status, but the big hill in Harrietta (north of the fish hatchery if you took Michigan street out of "town") was burmed off. The power line hills east of the lodge entrance got burmed off after the 1st year also. I use to have all of the routes on my old GPS as well as the Luther rice paddies/swamp and the abandon Wexford swamp railroad grade, but alas it was pre SD card and they died with the GPS. IIRC Huron officials were easy to please the 1st year and Manistee officials were hard going. Then next year it was just the opposite. :blink:

As a side note.....We were floaters the 1st year, dropping back to help anyone in the groups that had problems and trail repair after the event was over. We only made it for the event. The second year we helped set trails but didn&#39;t make the event. I&#39;m the guy that won the set of "5 Goodyear tires of your choice" the first year, everything at the lodge bar became fuzzy after that :P All I can remember is everyone chanting Jeep, Jeep, Jeep.....when watching the videos :D

Trail Fanatic: I don&#39;t suppose either of you could point them out on a topo map?

PS. I should mention that this isn&#39;t an &#39;official&#39; project yet.
The letter I received is a &#39;pre-scoping&#39; letter seeking input.[/b]

I could probably point out a few, but without going up there it&#39;s hard to say if any are still there. The Lumbering (clear cutting) that was going on then regularly screwed up the trail systems.

Trail_Fanatic
December 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
If you were going to spend a day (or weekend) playing in the area, which obstacles would you visit (if ALL of the closed stuff was open)?

I&#39;d like to see the Harietta Hill climb open again.

calvynandhobbs
December 12th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I&#39;ll get a letter in soon. My hunting cabin is only about 20 minutes from Caberfae and I would love to see some trails open up there. I&#39;ve never wheeled that area because I don&#39;t know what is legal and what is not.

Roger

Trail_Fanatic
December 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks Roger&#33;