PDA

View Full Version : 99 XJ charging system

99XJer
October 22nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Belt squeals.. sometimes.

When driving at night, lights on, heater on... lights dim for a second every 30 seconds or so and the charging meter, which is usually pretty steady at 14, drops a little.

It rained this morning so I got squealing belt AND dimming lights. Squealing usually only at idle.

Should I replace the belt in hopes that will be it or take the plunge ($150-$200) and do the Alternator too?

GreyBeard
October 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Before you do either, check the tension on the belt. You might just be able to snug it up a bit and take care of the problem.

shawn
October 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I've seen siezed tensrioners that wouldn't keep the belt tight. Put a wrench on that thing and make sure it has some good spring to it. And if anything, just replace the belt, that a cheap and easy place to start.

99XJer
October 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Thank you gentlemen, belt tension seems to have done it! Wrench, socket, WD40, now much better.

The belt itself is not too worn, I can still read the painted numbers on it. Ampmeter seems a little more steady, just twitching a little when A/C pump and Electric Fan kicks in with the lights and heater going.

I just hope its not too tight. I don't want to damage something else. I guess time will tell?

shawn
October 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
The tensioner is self adjusting, so no sweat on that end.

99XJer
October 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shawn &#064; Oct 22 2006, 07&#58;20 PM) 19242</div>

The tensioner is self adjusting, so no sweat on that end.
[/b]

Ummm... I adjusted it at the idler pully under the powersteering pump. Losen the pully bolt, turn the long screw to tighten belt, re-tighten bolt. Don&#39;t see any springs anywhere.
Hmmm... maybe I got me something I really dont know what it is? A/C, ALT, water pump, PS, FAN, pully under power steering... routing doens&#39;t look like the cheap manual i have. Guess I&#39;ll do a little more research.

*EDIT* Found it in the service manual.. I did it right. Thanks again guys.

lgottler
October 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Belt tension is one thing....but our Cherokee was doing the same thing, tightened up the belt more, went away for a while, then returned. Only squeeled when using a bunch of juice. I could make it squeel by turning the blower fan on Max. Belt was as tight as I dared go. Ended up with an Alternator on its last leg, put a new one in and no more squeeling and I set the belt tension to about 1/4" play.

Lucas

shawn
October 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Oh, one of those styles :D