PDA

View Full Version : Header coatings/paints

jsawduste
October 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Picked up my new to me 4.6 stroker motor today.:smokin:

The header is in good shape but needs painting or a coating of some type.

I see the POR-15 folks have several hi-heat coatings to choose from.

Then the typical hi-heat spray paint from the local auto supply.

What have you folks used and had good luck with ?

Thanks

joe_jeep
October 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
you will find header paints are usually rated up to 1500 degrees. thats a joke. the header paint will last 6 months at best. looks great the day you do it, gets ruined fast.
if the header is in good shape it can be sand blasted and sent to a company that does hi tech coatings, i think htc does this. i think id deal with it the way it is, or buy a new one that is already coated. another option is hi tech wrap, a header wrap that goes on like an ace bandage. holds heat in promotes the scavenging effect, pass gas real fast.
like the morning after you eat white castles on the way home from the bar. if its a good header id lean toward the hi tech wrap.

MuddyPaws
October 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yea, I haven't seen any spray paint hold up for very long. I do powder coating and we have a couple of colors that are ceramic based and hold up well but I don't think a 4.0 header will fit in our baking unit. We still have a smaller baker. See if you can find a powder coating place than can do it for you locally. Our exhaust coating can stand 1200 degrees sustained....which is very very hot for a header.

Normal running temps will be between 500 and 900 degrees. Header wrap is a bad choice as it actually damages the header. No header maker will warranty a header that has been wrapped because of this.

My headers are Jet Coated and besides having some dried mud sorta stuck in the coating, they look like new and they have been run for 3 years.

WhiteRhino
October 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Timberwolf, (Vic Brasseur) had sand blasted a set of headers and then used the silver ceramic high heat paint. That was at least 4 years ago and they still look great.

He is rarely on the board but shoot him an email. Expect at least a week's delay before he responds.

joe_jeep
October 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
never tried a ceramic header paint that might work?? i liked the wrap on my headers, looked good, worked well, dropped under hood temps drastically!!

spoiledbrat
November 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
How about this if you haven't done it yet
jet hot (http://www.jetcoat.com/homepage.html)