PDA

View Full Version : Shock QUestion

jimmyjeep
October 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
I have the truck ready for shocks and measured collapsed, ride and extended heights. The collapsed is 18, the extended is 21 and the ride hgt. is 20. These numbers sound off to me. Thats using the shock seats on the 14 bolt and the original top shock mounts on the wagoneer. To add to the problem is I need to raise the body up several inches to get level. I am planning on 4 gas shocks on the rear. Question is shouldnt I have more travel than that??? And will 4 shocks actually raise the body if I get ones with more extension??? I wish this learning curve woulld hurry up and kick in. LOL :motz_6:

Creative Fab
October 2nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
How are you doing these measurements?

If you only have 1" of up travel you have a very stiff set of springs, something is a miss for sure.

Measure "static" ride height between upper and lower shock mount, then measure that same distance with the truck lifted so the axle is at full droop on one side and compressed as far as you want it to go on the other (against bump stop if you have one). This will give you the collapsed length and what you need for extended length.

Then call me for a good price on some Rubicon Express shocks, Shamless plug I know!

Pat

Jeeperz-Creeperz
October 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyjeep &#064; Oct 2 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) 18331</div>

I have the truck ready for shocks and measured collapsed, ride and extended heights. The collapsed is 18, the extended is 21 and the ride hgt. is 20. These numbers sound off to me. Thats using the shock seats on the 14 bolt and the original top shock mounts on the wagoneer. To add to the problem is I need to raise the body up several inches to get level. I am planning on 4 gas shocks on the rear. Question is shouldnt I have more travel than that??? And will 4 shocks actually raise the body if I get ones with more extension??? I wish this learning curve woulld hurry up and kick in. LOL :motz_6:
[/b]
Yes, 3 inches of travel sounds a bit off. Do as Pat suggests for measuring the shock lengths.

Shocks do not support the weight of the vehicle, the springs do. You&#39;ll have to do something with the springs to get the truck level (add-a-leaf, different spring, change the mounting points, etc).

Getting shocks that are too long will limit the suspension up-travel and can damage the shocks (or shock mounts). A body lift will not affect shock length unless the shock mount is attached to the body (they&#39;re normally attached to the frame).

jimmyjeep
October 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
K, thats really decent tech advice and I did it. I must have made a mistake when I lowered my spring housings on both ends, because like you said the shocks will not raise the frame .I still need to go up. I understand I have two fixes, one to lower the mounts further, or put in different springs? I did a dana 60 soa on the front and thats what Im trying to catch up to. Want to offer some advice from there? Your input in awfuilly appreciated. I get this right and the shocks should be easy to figure out with your earlier explaination .

Jeeperz-Creeperz
October 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyjeep &#064; Oct 3 2006, 04&#58;53 PM) 18388</div>

K, thats really decent tech advice and I did it. I must have made a mistake when I lowered my spring housings on both ends, because like you said the shocks will not raise the frame .I still need to go up. I understand I have two fixes, one to lower the mounts further, or put in different springs? I did a dana 60 soa on the front and thats what Im trying to catch up to. Want to offer some advice from there? Your input in awfuilly appreciated. I get this right and the shocks should be easy to figure out with your earlier explaination .
[/b]
How much do you have to come up in the back to match the front? You could put some blocks under the rear springs if it&#39;s only an inch or so. (or is it spring under in the rear?)

jimmyjeep
October 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yup its spring under in the back. We had the truck on the wheels , and a level on the bed. We still need 4-5 ". We cut 2- 2x4&#39;s and sat them on the rear axle and under the frame bottom. They were 10" long. We had a perfect level. I know we dropped the perches( right word?) 6 " to supposedly match the front, but there was something we werent counting in the deal and im not sure what it was cuz it aint the same. :blink: Is adding to the rear shackle a bad idea, it sounds like it. But appearantly what do I know. Im gonna put a link on for you to see the build and somewhere near the end youll see the boxes we built fot the leafsprings.The rear spring OVER pics were just something we were considering at the start of the build. Thanks.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sharig63/alb...fcd&.src=ph (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sharig63/album?.tok=ph57BhBBi7kV72kQ&.dir=/3fcd&.src=ph)

Jeeperz-Creeperz
October 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyjeep &#064; Oct 3 2006, 05&#58;59 PM) 18393</div>

Yup its spring under in the back. We had the truck on the wheels , and a level on the bed. We still need 4-5 ". We cut 2- 2x4&#39;s and sat them on the rear axle and under the frame bottom. They were 10" long. We had a perfect level. I know we dropped the perches( right word?) 6 " to supposedly match the front, but there was something we werent counting in the deal and im not sure what it was cuz it aint the same. :blink: Is adding to the rear shackle a bad idea, it sounds like it. But appearantly what do I know. Im gonna put a link on for you to see the build and somewhere near the end youll see the boxes we built fot the leafsprings.The rear spring OVER pics were just something we were considering at the start of the build. Thanks.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sharig63/alb...fcd&.src=ph (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sharig63/album?.tok=ph57BhBBi7kV72kQ&.dir=/3fcd&.src=ph)
[/b]
If it&#39;s still about 5" off in the rear then the easiest thing to do would be go spring over in the rear and adjust the spring hangers accordingly to fine tune the height.

You won&#39;t get any lift out of the rear shackle in it&#39;s current configuration unless you shorten it. Adding to the shackle would drop the rear of the truck. You could flip the shackle mounts over and turn the shackles around to get some lift out of them.

Nvrenuf
October 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Looks like the spring packs are quite thick. You may not have factored that in.

A couple of things to think of, if you go to spring over you may need a traction bar or link to stop axle wrap but you will gain quite a bit of clearance under the axle.

or build a shackle flip as Kevin said.

jimmyjeep
October 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
You guys are too kewl&#33; I think the spring over is something i need to look at after work tomorrow. I&#39;ll post tomorrow night and let ya know what it looks like, thank you soooooooooo much&#33;&#33;&#33;

jimmyjeep
October 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
After work today I shot over to the pole barn and ripped the rear springs out and did the spring over thing. I think thats the ticket. Thanks for the great advice guys. I saw a antiwrap set up in the pirate archives that I&#39;ll check out , but Im gonna check here first.