PDA

View Full Version : Shims under leaf springs ??

Slow86prix
September 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
So im putting my lift on my cherokee this weekend, and I have a quick question about the rear leafs. The kit comes with angled shims, degree block, or whatever you want to call them and they came in a package with some longer centering pins, do I remove the centering pins that came in the new leafs and then bolt the shims and new pins all together before installation ?? I feel stupid even asking this because im pretty sure thats what i have to do, i just wanna make sure before i start tearing stuff apart.

joe_jeep
September 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM
b4 you install it all put the shim on the spring pack, and see if you have enuff pin engagement to the axle. but im sure your right and have to swap the pins. use a few large c clamps on the spring pack to keep it together

Renegade II
September 28th, 2006, 09:27 PM
If the round head of the center pin doesn't have enough length to reach through the shim you can take a nut and thread it all the way down against the head (even if the threads don't go all the way) and then grind it to the same diameter as the round head. This will effectively double the length of the pins head and allow for proper engaugement into the axle.

MuddyPaws
September 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slow86prix &#064; Sep 28 2006, 07&#58;13 PM) 18173</div>

So im putting my lift on my cherokee this weekend, and I have a quick question about the rear leafs. The kit comes with angled shims, degree block, or whatever you want to call them and they came in a package with some longer centering pins, do I remove the centering pins that came in the new leafs and then bolt the shims and new pins all together before installation ?? I feel stupid even asking this because im pretty sure thats what i have to do, i just wanna make sure before i start tearing stuff apart.
[/b]

Yes, bolt the shim and leaves together.

Slow86prix
September 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
thanks for the help guys

keithshotrodshop
October 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Recently I have stopped using traditional leaf spring bolts for a few reasons: 1. they tend to strip easily 2. They can be very hard to take apart in the future if needed. 3. They cost money. I have found that in most applications I&#39;ve worked on that I can replace the bolt with a standard 3/8 or smaller bolt and nut, and most of the time the bolt and nut will just fit into the stock centering holes tightly. Sometimes you have to enlarge the centering holes, but I think the security of being able to take it apart on the trail, as well as having a grade 5 or 8 bolt is worth it. Maybe I am just crazy, cheap, or both.

Jarhead
October 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keithshotrodshop &#064; Oct 11 2006, 06&#58;29 PM) 18775</div>

...Maybe I am just crazy, cheap, or both.
[/b]
You make it to easy&#33; :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

MuddyPaws
October 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I dunno where you are getting your center pins Keith, but the ones I get are grade 8. The only problem I have with them is that they come with grade "crap" nuts....I replace the nuts with grade 8.