PDA

View Full Version : My day on Staple Rd with the DNR and CRC

Trail_Fanatic
September 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Well I met the DNR Biologist specializing in Karner Blue Butterflies and our Road Commission representative out on Staple Rd to review weather or not the KBB would be positively, negatively, or not at all affected by the reopening of the road. After walking it, their comments were:

The CRC confirmed that they want the road to remain on the books (open).

The DNR admitted that there would be very little, if any, impact on the KBB population that is there. They do, however, want the CRC to have a 'recognized' professional service come in next spring (late May or early June) to survey where the road would actually lie to see if there are any wild Lupine plants in the proposed road bed. If there aren't any Lupine, the road can be reopened immediately at that point. If there are Lupine present, then the road should be relocated around the plants and any work would have to be done in late November or through the winter months so that 'minimal disturbance' to the Lupine would occur. He was also concerned that there were a dozen or more Spotted Knappweed plants on the southern end at White Lake Drive. His concern is that vehicles may carry seeds from this HIGHLY destructive, invasive species into the Lupine stands. I told him and the CRC that I would be MORE THAN WILLING to come out with my wife's little trowel and dig them up by the roots to ensure their COMPLETE removal. They both seemed OK with that offer.

SO

At this point, it looks like we'll have it opened up. It's just a matter of time. It will either be reopened next year in late spring/ early summer or next winter, depending on the Lupine survey results.

phittie1100
September 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM
It would look really bad if we pushed to reopen a road primarily for OHV use and ended up getting blamed for the destruction of a plot of flowers that are critical to the survival of a listed species. So this makes it Phase 3 of the project? First getting the CRC, politicians, bureaucrats, etc to let you adopt the roads, then Phase 2 getting past the adjacent private landowners who think the road is their property, and finally Phase 3 the environmental impact study. Sounds more like trying to get a shopping center built than reopening a wrongfully-restricted public road. You have much more patience than I would.

Trail_Fanatic
September 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
I've heard that NFS projects and proposals can often take 2-4 years or more to see results. I didn't think this would!

It'll have been 2 years between the start of the adoption process and the actuall reopening.
It's a HECK of a lot better than never though!

GreyBeard
September 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
I admire your knowledge of the process and your stamina.

We all appreciate your contribution. Well done, and thanks.

Trail_Fanatic
September 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreyBeard &#064; Sep 23 2006, 12&#58;29 PM) 17997</div>

I admire your knowledge of the process and your stamina.

We all appreciate your contribution. Well done, and thanks.
[/b]

Hate to say it but, there&#39;s no &#39;knowledge of the process&#39; here.
I wish there were but I&#39;m just stumbling through it.

I go where the decision makers tell me to and do whatever they say is next.

It&#39;s all about learning on the fly, trying to develop positive relationships that can be used in the future, and perfoming whatever &#39;damage control&#39; becomes necessary along the way.

I just want my trails back.

Jarhead
September 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I am with Greybeard (Bruce), I think a BIG THANK YOU is in order&#33;