View Full Version : Rep Sheltrown drafting positive ORV legislation for Mi.

Yetti
September 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.gldsmc.org/public/ORV_Draft.pdf

Sheltrown drafting positive ORV legislation
2Trakr wrote:
Representative Sheltrown has drafted legislation to update the regulation of ORVs on county roads. This is a very good thing. Mr. Sheltrown has shown he cares about northern MI communities and the ORV Users in our State.
Some counties have elected to pass an ordinance that allow ORVs to be operated on the far right side of a county road. Those counties have seen the benefits to this both financially and in regards to safe operation of ORVs.
The Michigan Attorney General's Office (assistant) has issued a non-binding opinion that maybe these ordinances are not legal. Mr. Sheltrown hopes to make such ordinances legal by introducing legislation that clarifies a counties ability to regulate ORV traffic on it's roads.

Mr. Sheltrown is looking for positive feedback and comments on how best to revise this document before it's proposed as legislation. Remember, even in current "less than perfect" form, this is POSITIVE LEGISLATION for the ORV community.
Even if you don't have any alterations or other comments, simply sending Mr. Sheltrown a "thanks" would not hurt.

I don't have the text, only a PDF, of the latest Draft I've seen. I have posted a copy here:
http://www.gldsmc.org/public/ORV_Draft.pdf

Mr. Sheltrown will take public comment on the proposed legislation until November 15, 2006. The bill will be introduced in January 2007. To receive a copy of the proposed legislation and to make suggestions for changes, contact Joel Sheltrown at dist103@house.mi.gov or at toll-free 1-888-347-8103.

Yetti wrote:
Everyone needs to read this and be heard. the fact the Rep wants to make new laws is good. just send in your thoughts so he has more to go on. theres big gaps in his new legislation an he needs to know our wants.

Trail_Fanatic
September 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I agree,
We need to emphasize the lack of 'official' recognition/ designation of our hobby/ sport.

State Forest Roads must be passable by cars. . .
ORV Routes are mixed traffic. . . .
NOWHERE for full sized use on State Forest land.

Shall we brainstorm a list that we can all quote when we send our comments? Not a form letter, just a list of things we can reference in our comments.

How about a discussion/ workgroup at the Quarterly?

Jarhead
September 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Sep 19 2006, 06&#58;27 PM) 17876</div>

How about a discussion/ workgroup at the Quarterly?
[/b]
Zookeeper needs to add it to the Agenda.

Trail_Fanatic
September 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Should we PM him, or do you think he&#39;ll see this?

(pad)

Yetti
September 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Sep 19 2006, 04&#58;26 PM) 17888</div>

(pad)
[/b]

I already wrote one letter for the sole reason he needs to change more then just a couple of things that make the roads up north more accessable. I made it clear that the private land rules need to change to take liability off land owners if some one is hurt or killed operating a ORV, sled or dirt bike. the other thing is the roads of EVERY county should have the right to go ORV open. there should be a line in the sand. and the prema facia negligence law need to go away. it says that no matter what happens in an accident the ORV is at fault.

Jarhead
September 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Sep 19 2006, 08&#58;26 PM) 17888</div>

(pad)
[/b]
If I don&#39;t see a post from him, I will bring it up at the e-board meeting for the agenda.

Bueller, Bueller...

grandman
September 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
" we " as in every one needs to support any effort that opens freedom back up to land users . This in return gets them to assit the trucks when there is a good cause to support .

Iv long advocated taking our fight to the politicians that is where change occures .

phittie1100
September 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Sep 19 2006, 11&#58;12 PM) 17905</div>

I don&#39;t know that I agree with all roads should be ORV open.
[/b]

Yetti&#39;s point was to make sure that indivdual counties at least had the right to determine that for themselves, I think. Their ability to determine that for their own roads has recently been brought into question by that opinion letter from the AG office a few months back.

Yetti
September 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Sep 20 2006, 02&#58;16 PM) 17947</div>

Why should that be any different than the other laws that are in effect for the roads? Like speed limit things...a state can post a higher limit, they just loose fed money.

If they let ORV&#39;s on the roads, then they will need to put some sort of fee on them above the ORV permit. My license plate lets me run on the road. They gonna start making plates for ORV&#39;s?
[/b]

Tim you have to realize the law isn&#39;t to let ATVs out into traffic. its to let people ride on the shoulders & far right side of roads. the speed limit in most areas that has open ORV is 20mph.
Now if you want to talk Lisencing then we&#39;ll use Arizona as an example. they have it set up 2 ways. you can buy a standard sticker for &#036;15 and you can ride offroad with your quad legal. OR you can spend &#036;135.00 and buy a street tag and then you can drive on any state & county roads legal. the only mod is a mirror. the one thing I am not sure about is if you still need the offroad tag???