PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smell

ganz
September 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Ok, dose anyone know how to keep the exhaust smell for the inside of my YJ? 4.3 vortec v6 auto trans.
i have a soft top and with the windows open and the back open I get alot of smell. Its bad enough that my clothes smell like it after I drive for a while. the exhaust is good no leaks and is in the OEM position. I dont have a cat convertor and it is a EFI motor with no check engine light on. the only time I really notice it is when im going 45mph and above. its not a problem wheelin in the woods.
Any thoughts?

Thanks Ganz..........

95geo
September 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ganz &#064; Sep 8 2006, 08&#58;24 AM) 17347</div>

Ok, dose anyone know how to keep the exhaust smell for the inside of my YJ? 4.3 vortec v6 auto trans.
i have a soft top and with the windows open and the back open I get alot of smell. Its bad enough that my clothes smell like it after I drive for a while. the exhaust is good no leaks and is in the OEM position. I dont have a cat convertor and it is a EFI motor with no check engine light on. the only time I really notice it is when im going 45mph and above. its not a problem wheelin in the woods.
Any thoughts?

Thanks Ganz..........
[/b]

close your back window, when you drive it pulls the air in through the back window.

Creative Fab
September 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
It sounds like your a little rich when running down the road in drive and are "lagging" in the RPM&#39;s. Could be your throttle position sensor or even your O2 sensor. Might not show a check engine light if it is TPS and it thinks it is doing just fine by overfueling a little. But then it should show a light with the O2 getting unburnt fuel run through it.

So really I am not much help, shut your back window and it wont come in :blink:

kb8ymf
September 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Sep 8 2006, 08&#58;36 AM) 17348</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ganz &#064; Sep 8 2006, 08&#58;24 AM) 17347

Any thoughts?

Thanks Ganz..........
[/b]

close your back window, when you drive it pulls the air in through the back window.
[/b][/quote]

Yep, only solution unless you relocate your exhaust tips. (or just close your windows and turn on your A/C&#33;, :<)) couldn&#39;t resist....) Ironmans come out right at the corner, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve heard him complain. Your generating a low pressure zone at the back of the truck at certain speeds it will allow exhaust back in. Get the tips to the side if possible
j-kb8ymf

joe_jeep
September 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM
i have the same problem if i leave just the rear open, but if i remove the sides also its no problem at all. this is no help if you run a hard top though. get the exhaust tip angled to the side instead of out the rear.

MuddyPaws
September 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I don&#39;t have a picture of it right now, but I had the same problem. I have a v8, dual exhaust, no cat. Both tips exited in the normal places on each side of the gas tank on my YJ. I went to the auto parts joint and got 2 90 degreee bent tips and stuck them on. Worked fine. Every once in a while I smash them up but they can be straightened out easilly.

Renegade II
September 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I had the same problem until I went with a side dump exhaust.

ganz
September 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the help.
I will try a tip...........

Ganz

WhiteRhino
September 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I had the problem when my dual exhaust dumped underneath my body even though they were pointed down. My new dual exhaust exits on either side of the gas tank right at my rear bumper. Both have mild turn downs. Don&#39;t have any problem other than the occasional windy day while riding slow.

Creative Fab
September 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
or you could just eat fewer beans :lmao:

ganz
September 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Yeah thats it, to many beans. THE MUSICAL FRUIT&#33; :ahhh:

uncleedsjeep
September 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I ddi waht Muddy Paws did. NAPA during an off-road weekend and put a 90 elbow on the tailpipe. Used a drywall screw to hold it in place. It got a bit crushed at Raush Creek but a quick hammer job fixed that. Now I get very little smell inside with any of the windows open. Mine runs rich. I could lean it out but at WOT it runs great. I put a Autolight 2bbl on it.
Ed