PDA

View Full Version : Notice of Intent to Appeal the H-MNF '06 Plan

Trail_Fanatic
September 7th, 2006, 08:58 PM
For those who are interested . . .

Here's a link to the Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club's notice of Intent to Appeal the Huron-Manistee National Forests' 2006 Forest Plan.

http://www.twotrackers.org/UFWDA_APPEAL_HMNF_AUG_2006.pdf

kb8ymf
September 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Very nicely presented. It will be interesting to see their response.
j-kb8ymf

Trail_Fanatic
September 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM
She does great work, doesn't she?

I think the Fed's are going to crap themselves when they see it.

She wrote it in legal Appeal format which isn't required until we actually file suit against them. That's the next (and last) step in the process.

The thought is that by seeing that we already have it in this format that they will realize that we are ready and willing to take it to the next level and thereby pay closer attention to our issues.

kb8ymf
September 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Sep 8 2006, 10&#58;51 AM) 17361</div>

She does great work, doesn&#39;t she?
The thought is that by seeing that we already have it in this format that they will realize that we are ready and willing to take it to the next level and thereby pay closer attention to our issues.
[/b]

The only thing that didn&#39;t stand out was our desire to NOT see the level 2 and 3 roads closed. I&#39;ll go read it again in case I missed it though.
jim

P.S. have not heard from her in a while.

WhiteRhino
September 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Looks great&#33;

95geo
September 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Sep 9 2006, 07&#58;48 AM) 17380</div>

Looks great&#33;
[/b]

i&#39;d be nice if all of the activists in michigan could approach the state from one recognized mass rather than from a bunch of different directions using the same person (carla). it kinda makes us look like we have clicks and dont have any comraderie. :idea:

just a dumb kids input (maybe im the only one who can see past the many year old drama)

joe_jeep
September 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
perhaps when we had some issues in the future we could contact carla and she could help us or send us in the right direction for help like hers. looks very professional. i take it shes a ufwda member, or is she a hired gun??

phittie1100
September 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Carla is from United. We have been making some casual inquiries to see if we can find a sympathetic law firm here in MI that would lend a hand on some of our legal concerns without charging us an arm, leg, and use of our first-born children for a year. So far haven&#39;t found any takers, no one looking for a challenge with very little pay&#33; But we&#39;ll keep asking, maybe there is a lawyer who is a closet 4wd enthusiast out there, just haven&#39;t found him/her yet. But in the meantime, we will take all the help Carla can offer to our region.

phittie1100
September 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Level 3 roads were specifically addressed in the appeal, but not Level 2.

After reading the draft, and doing a bit of poking around to get educated, shouldn&#39;t the discussion include level 2 roads as well? Maintenance level 3-5 roads are just that, roads - unimproved/single lane = 3, improved/surfaced = 4&5? All designed to be used by passenger car with varying levels of rider comfort and safety. Someone feel free to correct my definitions. Maintenance level 2 roads are suitable "only for high ground clearance vehicles", which are the ones I want to have access to (in fact I think Pat&#39;s dad winched me out of a couple of soft spots on level 2 roads :) ). I can understand a need to keep the 3-5 roads to maintain access to the level 2 roads - is that what we are getting at? Have the level 2 roads already been addressed during this process of developing a new forest plan?

Sorry if I am asking old or uniformed questions, but I need someone to frame the argument for me.

Trail_Fanatic
September 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Level 3-5 roads are mentioned only as an example. Level 2 roads are ALWAYS the first to be closed. If the NFS can&#39;t even meet it&#39;s desired future condition without closing these, there is obviously NO WAY we are going to have our chosen recreation on the Forest. Level 2 roads are specifically NOT mentioned because the Plan does NOT mention them.

This shows how dire our situation is.

The NFS would have to close ALL of it&#39;s roads (2,3,4, and 5) AND many more miles of County or State roads before they could meet their goal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Sep 9 2006, 09&#58;50 AM) 17382</div>

i&#39;d be nice if all of the activists in michigan could approach the state from one recognized mass rather than from a bunch of different directions using the same person (carla). it kinda makes us look like we have clicks and dont have any comraderie. :idea:
[/b]

I&#39;d LOVE to have Great Lakes involved with this.

Unfortunately, I started this project a good year and 1/2 or two years before I was a member and action now is limited to those who signed the comments back then.

Believe me, if anything else affects my area GLFWDA will hear about it.
With the dedication of the membership I&#39;ve had the privilage to meet up to now, I&#39;ve no doubt whatsoever that they&#39;d be more than willing to assist.