PDA

View Full Version : AMC V8 Howell EFI Scanner VIN info?

cj7fun
September 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I have a 304 with Howell's AMC V8 TBI system. I want to see if the computer is sending error codes. I don't have a SES light installed, but I do have an AutoXray 6000 scanner. Which model year and VIN number/letter should I enter in the scanner to scan the system?
I don't see the info in the Howell Service Manual. :ahhh:

cj7fun
September 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM
According to Howell the answer is........

'89 Truck, engine code K.

Kind of wierd... Their service manual references VIN code "E" (305 TBI) and their installation says the parts are the same as a 4.3L TBI (VIN code "Z"). I was able to scan by using code Z, but the scanner would not connect using code E. Just for grins, I'll give K a whirl. :ahhh:

MuddyPaws
September 7th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Good to know....but my scanner wants more of the vin. Pisses me off because I can never find the vin when I need it, so I have to drive around parking lots till I find a truck and then write down the vin before some dud comes out and thinks i'l ripping off his rig and beats me to a bloody pulp. :lmao:

Jarhead
September 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Sep 7 2006, 12&#58;35 AM) 17295</div>

Good to know....but my scanner wants more of the vin. Pisses me off because I can never find the vin when I need it, so I have to drive around parking lots till I find a truck and then write down the vin before some dud comes out and thinks i&#39;l ripping off his rig and beats me to a bloody pulp. :lmao:
[/b]
Life in the SOO&#33;&#33; :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :idea: :lmao:

Renegade II
September 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cj7fun &#064; Sep 2 2006, 07&#58;52 PM) 17158</div>

I have a 304 with Howell&#39;s AMC V8 TBI system. I want to see if the computer is sending error codes. I don&#39;t have a SES light installed, but I do have an AutoXray 6000 scanner. Which model year and VIN number/letter should I enter in the scanner to scan the system?
I don&#39;t see the info in the Howell Service Manual. :ahhh:
[/b]

I wired the SES light to my previously unused oil light. Blink codes are stupid proof (designed for me) and a multi meter will handle 99% the trouble shooting tasks.

cj7fun
September 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renegade II &#064; Sep 7 2006, 08&#58;59 AM) 17314</div>

I wired the SES light to my previously unused oil light. Blink codes are stupid proof (designed for me) and a multi meter will handle 99% the trouble shooting tasks.
[/b]

While I was reading Howell&#39;s service manual I was thinking that I should just wire a SES light. After 2.5 YEARS of Murphy&#39;s Law being applied to minor fixes on my CJ, I decided that I&#39;d take the easy way out and hook up the scanner.

Based on my current track record, I estimate that crawling under the dash (after removing the seats so my large body can fit under there), finding the SES lead, removing the batteries and tray to access a conveninet spot to tie-in the SES lead, installing a SES lamp (I eliminated the CJ speedo so no easy pre-mounted lamps to use), wiring the lamp, then reassemble everything would take two weeks or so. Seriously. :WhiteRhino:

MuddyPaws
September 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Using the scanner is nice also to see PID readings. It saves alot of time when the code you get is O2 sensor rich. That code could mean about a million things. I would have to say, in my experience, putting a new O2 sensor in for this code only fices the problem about 1 in 10 times. About the same thing for O2 lean...with a scanner you can use propane or air to alter the mixture and see the O2 work.

Also helps ID a bad TPS when it&#39;s just "shifted" and is creating a drivability problem but not tossing a code.

cj7fun
September 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I finally got around to this.... &#39;89 Truck K worked. All is well with my EFI setup. Now on to other tasks.... :monkeydance: