PDA

View Full Version : Rust proofing a YJ tub

jsawduste
September 1st, 2006, 12:12 AM
Snagged an almost perfect factory YJ tub. What is going to be the best way to keep it from rusting. Both a bottom coating as well as the top sides ?

Spray undercoat in a can ?

POR stuff ?

Herculiner ?

Weasel spit ?

I will have the time to do it right so lets do something that will last !!

Excited and now poor in Michigan

Thanks

SKIP
September 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsawduste &#064; Sep 1 2006, 12&#58;12 AM) 17128</div>

Snagged an almost perfect factory YJ tub. What is going to be the best way to keep it from rusting. Both a bottom coating as well as the top sides ?

Spray undercoat in a can ?

POR stuff ?

Herculiner ?

Weasel spit ?

I will have the time to do it right so lets do something that will last &#33;&#33;

Excited and now poor in Michigan

Thanks
[/b]

Move to a state without salt in the winter&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :ahhh: :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously, por is supposed to be one of the best.
Just remember it will stick/stain anything it touches & adheres best to the metal if it is etched/seasoned.
This would entail removing the factory paint. (I think, don&#39;t quote me on that, but I&#39;m pretty sure.)

mitrail400ex
September 1st, 2006, 07:43 AM
POR is awesome, but bonds best to bare metal. It&#39;s strong too, to the point where I&#39;ve hit it with a screwdriver and not even knicked it.

Regular 3M undercoating is good too, but it will take 5-6 cans just to do the underside. Make sure you get EVERYWHERE otherwise, that one spot you missed will be the one that rusts. If you can&#39;t get undercoating to it, that means that chances are, water will collect there.

Now, if you&#39;re tearing into it to paint it and such, I would see if someone in your area does e-coating. Basically, you have the entire body acid dipped to remove the old paint and primer, then the body is dipped again in an electrostatic primer that covers every single place on the body, even areas that a spray gun simply can&#39;t get to. Be aware that this is EXPENSIVE with a capital everything. This is NOT the cheap way out, but it&#39;s by far the most effective.

jsawduste
September 5th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the help folks. Talked to the POR-15 folks and they have some pretty good information on there products.

Bare rusted metal is the best. They sell a kit that included a cleaner, metal etching acid and then the top coat. nice thing is that with proper application you can use it under a typical automotive paint.

Thinking that I may just have the tub sand blasted 360*. Use the kit stuff and be on my way.

Evil_E
September 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Be selective on the POR-15...they have regular and &#39;Chassis Black&#39;. I was told the regular stuff in the yellow can is UV sensative, meaning it will fade in the sunlight. However, the Chassis Black isn&#39;t UV sensative so you can use it as a final finish.