PDA

View Full Version : GPS whats everyone got

Bult4mud
August 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW

posted like 1000,000,000 times but after the crash i cannot find the info

Im leaning tward a garmin trying to keep it around $400 bucks any ideas??

thanks

JIM

Creative Fab
August 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
A lot of us are running the Garmin GPS5, bought mine at Bass Pro, did an online search found the best price and they matched it.

www.pricegrabber.com

Bult4mud
August 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
the older one right that mounts verticallay or horizontalay

not sure that they even make that any more haha

JohnnyJ
August 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
I've got a Garmin GPS III+. Still running strong after 5 years or so. So plan on keeping whatever you buy for a while unless you are a true gadgeteer.

When I looked it up on Garmin, it said this:

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/discontinued.gif

edit: it said the same about the 5...

Renegade II
August 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Lowrance Globalnav 200, about 10+ years old and still kickin. I think they quit making it also. I'm going to sell it and step up to a new one with a background map.

kb8ymf
August 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
I've got the Garmin 2620, BUT...........be careful, my unit can generate 'tracks' which are the things we all use to show us where the trails are at, and here's the BUT, I can't load any tracks and view them! DUH! So, I can create them but I can't use them after. Calls to Garmin were brushed off as 'You units not suppose to read tracks, just create them'. No further explaination!
Brian (bjeeper) has the unit I think I'll be getting next. Large screen, creates and reads tracks, 10 I think. COLOR, DOn't under estimate color screens. Trying to tell the difference between a contour line and a river is all but impossible without color.
jim-kb8ymf

Brian81CJ
September 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM
I'm running Delorme's Street Atlas USA 2006 and Topo software for Pocket PC's through my PDA. I have a powered PDA mount that I put on my windshield and my GPS receiver plugs right into my CF port on the top of my Dell PDA. I can create maps and routes on my laptop and upload them to my PDA. The software also has a tracking feature that will create a file that I can share. So far I'm pretty happy with this set up...

Brian

joe_jeep
September 1st, 2006, 11:12 AM
i follow the trail of broken parts and leaking fluids, always gets me back where i started!

phittie1100
September 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM
I use a Magellan Sport Track w/Delorme topo software. It's an older unit, bought it about 4 years ago. Works great.

Bult4mud
September 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

i like this one

and this one

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendcx/

Brian
September 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bult4mud &#064; Sep 3 2006, 10&#58;05 AM) 17164</div>

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

i like this one

and this one

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendcx/
[/b]

Hey Jim,

I have owned an etrex and the 276C. The etrex does not even come close to the 276C. The processor speed of the 276C is like 5 times as fast as the etrex models. I believe the screen on the 276C is twice as big as the etrex. I did not like the controls on my etrex. The 276C has a few more features I needed also. That&#39;s my opinion, oh and I don&#39;t like garmin one bit. To be nice I will just say their customer service sucks. A little more info for the ham radio operators. If you want to do APRS you will need NMEA in and out on your GPS unit. The 276C has it and the etrex models do not.

Brian

Bult4mud
September 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
so if you dont like garmin what would you buy?

Brian
September 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bult4mud &#064; Sep 3 2006, 05&#58;26 PM) 17171</div>

[/b]

At this point garmin is the only one I would buy. I have all the software and all my saved information is in garmin format. In the future before I buy another unit I will do a little more researh and find out if I can transfer my tracks and waypoints over to another format. I was told there is a program that can do that but I have not used it yet

I never said I wouldn&#39;t buy garmin, I said I didn&#39;t like them. :D

kb8ymf
September 12th, 2006, 07:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Sep 3 2006, 06&#58;56 PM) 17175</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bult4mud &#064; Sep 3 2006, 05&#58;26 PM) 17171

[/b]

At this point garmin is the only one I would buy. I have all the software and all my saved information is in garmin format. In the future before I buy another unit I will do a little more researh and find out if I can transfer my tracks and waypoints over to another format. I was told there is a program that can do that but I have not used it yet

I never said I wouldn&#39;t buy garmin, I said I didn&#39;t like them. :D
[/b][/quote]

If you were to do it now, would you still get the 276C. I&#39;m looking at one for 650 on Ebay. Is your map fully unlocked?
jim-kb8ymf

lgottler
September 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I use the Etrex Legend Color one. I went to that from a GPS-12. Both Garmin. I personally like &#39;em, don&#39;t have any major complaints. I needed something for more than just my jeep however, so thats why I went with something small that I can use for hunting and hiking as well as Jeeping.

Lucas

Brian
September 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
If you were to do it now, would you still get the 276C. I&#39;m looking at one for 650 on Ebay. Is your map fully unlocked?
jim-kb8ymf
[/b]

Yes :D , even though I think it cost to much :motz_6: I would have to say I would get the 276c again. I like the unit I just don&#39;t like their idea of customer support. I don&#39;t like waiting an hour on hold for them to get around to answering the phone and then not really help me much. Then have what they tell you not work. So you call back the next day and wait another hour on hold then have someone new say "I don&#39;t know why someone would have told you that?" and still not help much. :motz_6:

My 276c just came with a base map but yes they were fully unlocked. I had to buy the other mapping software and a data card separately. &#036;650 sounds a little high unless it has some extras? Jim K. told me about this place and that&#39;s where I got mine. GPSNOW.com (http://gpsnow.com/gmmap276c.htm) I think I paid under &#036;600 shipped for the unit. I would make sure you get it from a reliable place so if you need service garmin will honor it.

Brian

GreyBeard
September 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I use an old Garmin GPS-12 MAP that has been serving me trouble free for years.

I recently tried to upgrade to a DeLorme Blue Logger to work with a laptop. The BlueLogger is NOT what you want. It is trouble prone and grossly inconsistent in performance. I think DeLorme&#39;s software is pretty good, but I would stay away from the hardware.
During DOA, my BlueLogger worked for almost a day. My Garmin was rock solid the whole time, but it lacks some of the current features like color, USB port, add-in memory cards, WAAS, etc.

If you need to move waypoints, track logs, etc. from one manufacturer&#39;s format to another, consider using GPSBabel or EasyGPS. Both are free pieces of software.

Another minor point. Many of the GPS manufacturers and marketers have been on the ropes financially off-and-on. Garmin looks like they will be around for the long haul.

By the way, I have had great experience with GPSNow.com also.

Roadhouse
September 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Anyone know much about the Garmin GPSMap60? I&#39;m considering that unit. It&#39;s not color, but does have a built in map with more mapping capabilities.

I need a GPS that is easy to use for hiking, so I need a vertical style one.

kb8ymf
September 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhouse &#064; Sep 12 2006, 11&#58;30 PM) 17517</div>

It&#39;s not color, but does have a built in map with more mapping capabilities.
[/b]

I can&#39;t comment on the Garmin 60, BUT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Do NOT under estimate the value of COLOR&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
I would never do one that was not color ever.
As I think I said earlier, trying to decern the difference between a contour line and a river is almost impossible but it&#39;s really, really important&#33; Going up a grade is a tad easier than crossing a river&#33;
j-kb8ymf

Brian
September 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Jim is right if you going to get one make sure it&#39;s color. If you like the GPSMAP60 I would suggest the GPSMAP60Cx GPSMAP60Cx (http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60cx.htm)

Jarhead
September 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian &#064; Sep 13 2006, 03&#58;51 PM) 17569</div>

Jim is right if you going to get one make sure it&#39;s color. If you like the GPSMAP60 I would suggest the GPSMAP60Cx GPSMAP60Cx (http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60cx.htm)
[/b]
You know, my Garmin GPS V has served me well for years and years; now you guys are making me think it is time for an upgraded/updated colorized version. :confused:

Roadhouse
September 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
OKay guys, don&#39;t take this the wrong way. But I don&#39;t wheel, so why do I care what line means a river and what line means a ridge?

I do like the color ones tho&#39;.