PDA

View Full Version : offroad CB guide

Creative Fab
August 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Walcott CB (http://www.walcottcb.com/offroad.php)

phittie1100
August 22nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Good timing, Pat. I just over-tightened my Firestick swivel mount, and need to replace it. My question is how much of my antenna needs to project abouve my Jeep? I run a hard top in the winter, soft top the rest of the year. My recently broken mount was on my stock spare tire carrier, but w/4' Firestick it didn't go into the garage easily since it projected 18" or so above the roof. How high is high enough? I have been considering the tailgate stopper mount, niot sure if that is too low. A tail light mount might work too. Anybody have thoughts?

kb8ymf
August 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phittie1100 &#064; Aug 22 2006, 06&#58;23 PM) 16785</div>

Good timing, Pat. I just over-tightened my Firestick swivel mount, and need to replace it. My question is how much of my antenna needs to project abouve my Jeep? I run a hard top in the winter, soft top the rest of the year. My recently broken mount was on my stock spare tire carrier, but w/4&#39; Firestick it didn&#39;t go into the garage easily since it projected 18" or so above the roof. How high is high enough? I have been considering the tailgate stopper mount, niot sure if that is too low. A tail light mount might work too. Anybody have thoughts?
[/b]

1. Go with the SF style K40 antennas which are WAY more flexible so you can get it in the garage.
2. Add a meduim duty spring to the base to provide added flexibility
3. My rule of thumb is 1 foot up and a minimum of 1 foot away from any metallic surface. With minimum of 1/3 the antenna above the roofline. With a glass top you might get away with less than 1X1 but I would still hold the 1/3 if at all possible.
jim-kb8ymf

joe_jeep
August 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
i would say the higher the better, but for trail use it wont matter that much. if your running a real good radio and wanna really get out, get rid of the fiberglass antenna and buy a whip style antenna. i use a trucker k40 on my semi, it works pretty well. many of my friends with "big radios" use a wilson whip antennas. but if you mainly use it on the trail, use what fits in the garage best. i dont have a spare mount, but i have a 5 ft fiberglass off my semi if yours broke with the mount. see ya on drummond, ill swing by your site with a few cold ones.

phittie1100
August 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
I&#39;ve got a 4&#39; Firestick - all that broke was the mount, so I will re-use my antenna. Thanks for all the suggestions, got to go shopping now&#33;