PDA

View Full Version : silver lake aug 5 & 6

CheapthrillB2
July 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM
a buddy and me are goin back up to silver next weekend, (if i get my truck back together pics of damage (http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/cheapthrillb2/) )
we want to wheel on some trails saturday and hit the dunes on sunday, anybody know of any good trails in the area of the dunes we can wheel on, we were thinkin about hittin the trails just north of the dunes in the lake shore area,

phittie1100
July 30th, 2006, 10:32 PM
We are heading to Bass Lake near Pentwater for the week of 8/5 to 8/12. I haven't "negotiated" my Silver Lake dates with my wife yet, but I am hoping to head over on Sunday 8/6.

Trail_Fanatic
July 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hey, just thought I'd let you know that the old Pentwater Plains has been pretty much shut down. There are still a couple of two-track roads, but not much else. The best bet I know of for trails in Oceana County is to go to the north east corner of the county. The Crystal Valley/ Ruby Creek area still has some decent stuff. Are you into mud, hills, or scenery?

CheapthrillB2
July 31st, 2006, 10:31 PM
mud, hills

around that woods trail road in my gazetteer?

that area looks like it has some trails, maybe we'll check that out on saturday, and wheel the dunes on sunday

Brian81CJ
August 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Jul 31 2006, 10&#58;17 PM) 16249</div>

Hey, just thought I&#39;d let you know that the old Pentwater Plains has been pretty much shut down. There are still a couple of two-track roads, but not much else. The best bet I know of for trails in Oceana County is to go to the north east corner of the county. The Crystal Valley/ Ruby Creek area still has some decent stuff. Are you into mud, hills, or scenery?
[/b]

We will be at Silver Lake this weekend also&#33;

Pat,

I would be interested in exploring some of the trails in the Crystal Valley/Ruby Creek area... or even a couple of the two-tracks in Pentwater. My brother in-law and his family will be with us in an Escalade so I&#39;d probably be more interested in the scenic trails. :(
Do you have any GPS coords from these areas? I don&#39;t want to be somewhere where I souldn&#39;t...

Thanks,
Brian

Trail_Fanatic
August 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Can you guys PM your phone #s?
If we can talk with the Gazetteer in front of us I can get you to some nice stuff.
I just set a route for my Club&#39;s July BBQ Run so a Clubmate should have the GPS. I&#39;ll ask.
Heck, I might be able to talk the wife into having us show you around for a day.
It would probably be the safest. THe forest is a little fragmented with private property.

WhiteRhino
August 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
We will be watchin Funkenbluezn.

Have fun at the dunes. You may see my son in law Josh there. Burgendy ZJ on 31&#39;s. Say hi if you do.

phittie1100
August 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Got a firm committment from my wife for playing at the Dunes Sunday. Not sure when, but we will be sticking to "the bunny trails" since my Dad has never put his truck in 4-anything before, and my wife will be driving her new LJ solo for the first time.

CheapthrillB2
August 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
i will have my Explorer and my buddy will have is freshly lifted and locked XJ as well, maybe a buddies bringing his K1500 and another might show up with his 05 TJ

phittie1100
August 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I didn&#39;t get back to the internet world until Saturday, then the boards got a bug, so I never got the chance to say a big thanks to Pat (Trail_Fanatic). Pat, his father Jerry, and their wives took me and my father on a guided tour of some of the best the west has to offer. Unfortunately, much of the trail system we were on is slated for closure if the new forest plan is implemented. My mistake was assuming the Manistee National Forest was going to be as boring as the ORV routes up north&#33;

The good - great scenery, Jerry&#39;s awesome LR Discovery w/winch
The bad - shouldn&#39;t have worn Jesus Joggers in the forest....poison ivy got me good

Had several enjoyable trips to Silver Lake last week as well - including watching my wife get a tug out of her first official solo stuck. :D

CheapthrillB2
August 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM
it was a good time, i had plenty of trashing on my explorer, ran into a bunch of jeep guys, they whatched me play in the deeper water holes, i even was given rides to some of them through the holes, it was pretty deep but my EX can take it, had a blast, my next trip is to the mounds labor day weekend possibly