PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

cj7fun
July 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I need my memory refreshed....

Is it safe practice or law to install a muffler in a OHV with the inlet and outlet staggered?

My current muffler will interfere with my rear driveshaft when mounted horizontally. When mounted vertically, it hangs way below the framerail. The ideal solution (in my eyes) would be a round muffler. All of the models I've seen are a flow-thru design without any baffles to prevent a hot spark from shooting out the tailpipe. I'm sure there is a muffler with staggered inlet and outlet which fit my application, but I have a case of the lazies and want to take the easy way out if I can.

Thoughts?

mitrail400ex
July 2nd, 2006, 11:06 PM
Lots of people have that setup, including me. I have an oval flowmaster on my DD with a centered inlet and an offset outlet. It works great. You just need to make sure that you install it "with the flow", meaning you don't put it on backwards.

Also, not sure how much you want to spend, but Flowmaster makes a hotrod muffler right now called the Hushpower II. It's a semi-round can, about the size of a cherry bomb. The neat part is that it's a baffle style muffler that flows almost as good as straight through. They have that flowmaster sound, without the size constraints of a full size muffler. Plus the neatest part is that they have integral heat shields welded to the can that way you can really tuck them up high and not melt your floorboards. One more thing is that flowmasters have been known to stand up to rock abuse quite well, especially the hushpowers.

Something to consider, but kinda pricey at around $85-100 a piece.

shawn
July 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
yeah, what eric said, and i will add that it doesn't matter on the outlet vrs inlet, if you look at the interior configurations. I am looking at putting in Hooker Areo Chambers, they come highly recomended from the boys at Detroit Speed, low noise, low resonance, but good idle and off idle tone. Turbos are driving me crazy!

phittie1100
July 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
I don't know if it is forest service rules or ORV laws that require either a baffled muffler or catalytic converter as a spark arresting device.

I can't remember the brand name, but Autozone has a round muffler with a simple internal baffle that my Dad was looking at for his Coronet - might be the same one Eric described.

Renegade II
July 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I used a sturdy cherry bomb type muffler and welded a 90 degree turnout with a supertrapp diffuser (USFS approved spark arrestor) on the end. It's not to loud and it complies with DNR standards. 10 years later it's still working.
[attachmentid=450]