PDA

View Full Version : pitman arms

Ridgerunner
June 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Since swapping in the 44 up front, I have lost some turning radius. The steering wheel goes lock to lock but my knuckles still have some room before they hit the stop adjusters. I'm still running the stock pitman arm and steering box. I'd like to put a little longer pitman arm on to try and get some turning back. Is there an easy salvage swap to get a longer arm?
thx

95geo
June 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
a scout arm is pretty long, i would keep what you have though. by making it turn tighter you will increase the probability of breaking a u joint, for what its worth i have my steering stops set about 1" out from the knuckle and have yet to break a front joint.

i was just thinking also, your steering will be quicker but also harder because your loosing leverage...... im not sure how much or how much it matters to you but its just something to think about.

shawn
June 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Most likely you lost steering because the arms on the knuckles are longer, and no longer mathces the pitman arm length as a set. This was my problem, I fixed it with high steer arms, not a very cheap solution but solved many problems for me.

WhiteRhino
June 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but ............ WOW!................... I just noticed a change in fender flares on your avatar :thumb-up: !

Ridgerunner
June 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shawn &#064; Jun 23 2006, 01&#58;07 PM) 15142</div>

Most likely you lost steering because the arms on the knuckles are longer, and no longer mathces the pitman arm length as a set. This was my problem, I fixed it with high steer arms, not a very cheap solution but solved many problems for me.
[/b]

I have a high steer set up. at full lock my tires are about 2 1/2" from the spring. I"m just not used to the change from the stock set up yet. I guess if i could pick up another inch, maybee It might be closer to what i was used too.

kb8ymf
June 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Obviously something changed. Did you just put the Hi-steer on? Which arm do you have? single hole or double hole on the pass side? Where does your drag link atach to? Hi-steer arm or tie-rod? How long is your pitman arm? You&#39;ll need to get all these rough numbers before you can determine a course of action.
Both of our set ups are double hole pass side with drag link on the inner and tie rod outer hole. Pitman arm is around 6 3/4" long. Steering capable of putting knuckles against bump stops.
jim-kb8ymf

lgottler
June 24th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I kept the stock TJ arm on mine, I needed one about 3/4" longer, but figured I&#39;d save my ujoints by not being able to jam the knuckle stop to stop. I also could get another inch probably of travel by going to a longer pitman, but I&#39;d rather back up once more to make a turn than spend the time changing ujoints&#33;&#33;&#33;

When I do the hysteer, I was going to measure my current balljoint to draglink mount length and try to see if they offer one just a tad shorter to get me back to stock, I don&#39;t have room for a longer pitman arm. But I&#39;ll be doing hydro assist, so the extra effort in turning isn&#39;t a concern so much for me...

Good luck&#33;

Lucas

shawn
June 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I used the Parts Mike arms, and they are much shorter than the stock arm on the knuckles. But, even though I gained lots of steering back, my tires still don&#39;t hit the springs, and that is fine with me. I am still using a CJ drop pitman arm, but don&#39;t have much room for a longer arm, I have a shackle reversal and that moved the axle closer to the front.

Anyway, all I am trying to say is, I think it only gets so good. :D

Ridgerunner
June 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Jun 24 2006, 06&#58;59 AM) 15161</div>

Obviously something changed. Did you just put the Hi-steer on? Which arm do you have? single hole or double hole on the pass side? Where does your drag link atach to? Hi-steer arm or tie-rod? How long is your pitman arm? You&#39;ll need to get all these rough numbers before you can determine a course of action.
Both of our set ups are double hole pass side with drag link on the inner and tie rod outer hole. Pitman arm is around 6 3/4" long. Steering capable of putting knuckles against bump stops.
jim-kb8ymf
[/b]

I&#39;ve have Blue torch arms right now with the drag link hooked to the arm on the outer hole. both arms are double hole type. The stock arm is 6". My goal is to be able to dial things in alittle better. I feel that Bryce and Lucas have a valid point about saving the U-joints on a tight high load turn. I also have a second set of arms wich OTT made for me that have a 1.25 rise to them and taper in a little more than the BTF arms. Not sure If bolting those on would change things.

shawn
June 24th, 2006, 12:52 PM
IIRC, those BTF arms are longer, that is why I went with Parts Mikes Arms.

Ridgerunner
June 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shawn &#064; Jun 24 2006, 12&#58;52 PM) 15179</div>

[/b]

Are you saying that shorter arms on the knuckles will give you quicker turning?

lgottler
June 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Jun 24 2006, 12&#58;39 PM) 15178</div>

I&#39;ve have Blue torch arms right now with the drag link hooked to the arm on the outer hole. both arms are double hole type.
[/b]

I always thought the draglink attached to the innermost hole and the tierod to the outside ones...? That would increase your steering distance for sure....

Lucas

shawn
June 25th, 2006, 12:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Jun 25 2006, 07&#58;16 AM) 15186</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shawn &#064; Jun 24 2006, 12&#58;52 PM) 15179

[/b]

Are you saying that shorter arms on the knuckles will give you quicker turning?
[/b][/quote]

Yes. And just the opposite for the pitman.

Ridgerunner
June 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Jun 25 2006, 10&#58;03 AM) 15189</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Jun 24 2006, 12&#58;39 PM) 15178

I&#39;ve have Blue torch arms right now with the drag link hooked to the arm on the outer hole. both arms are double hole type.
[/b]

I always thought the draglink attached to the innermost hole and the tierod to the outside ones...? That would increase your steering distance for sure....

Lucas
[/b][/quote]
I looked at that arrangment but it appears that on my set up the the drag link would cross over the tierod and possibly create an interference problem between the two. right now the tierod and drag link are paralell with each other.I may just pop them off and see if they&#39;ll work the other way.