PDA

View Full Version : YJ Rear Wheel Bearing

uncleedsjeep
June 22nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
88 YJ Dana 35 Non-C-Clip. I keep failing the left rear wheel bearing. I have attempted to see if the housing is bent using a long staight edge. It seems to be straight. I have had several different axels in it and they all take out the wheel bearing. It seems that the axel is pushing outward into the seal. But I find not reason for this. :wow: :wow:

Looking for any feedback you might have.
Thanks
Ed

(the "Mooning Smiley" is a bit distracting)

Jeeperz-Creeperz
June 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Are you sure you're using the correct axle shaft?

How about bearing retainer?

I don't understand what you mean by, "It seems that the axel is pushing outward into the seal". The seal rides on the axle shaft and the seal is in the end of the axle tube so the only thing that could be putting pressure on it would be the bearing (hence the bearing retainer question).

uncleedsjeep
June 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Jun 22 2006, 01&#58;18 PM) 15117</div>

Are you sure you&#39;re using the correct axle shaft?

I don&#39;t understand what you mean by, "It seems that the axel is pushing outward into the seal". The seal rides on the axle shaft and the seal is in the end of the axle tube so the only thing that could be putting pressure on it would be the bearing (hence the bearing retainer question).
[/b]

The bearing retainer stays tigh to the axle and in place. The bearing fails. Let me try ot explain agian. It seems to me that the axel shaft is pushing outward. As the retianer is fixed to teh shaft it in turn pushes the bearing outward against the seal. The seal is held in place by teh retainer plate and thus the bearing chews into the seal and the bearing fails. If left unchecked the axle will disengage from teh vehicel. Not a pretty sight.

Any thoughts????

Jeeperz-Creeperz
June 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unckeedsjeep &#064; Jun 28 2006, 10&#58;16 PM) 15297</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Jun 22 2006, 01&#58;18 PM) 15117

Are you sure you&#39;re using the correct axle shaft?

I don&#39;t understand what you mean by, "It seems that the axel is pushing outward into the seal". The seal rides on the axle shaft and the seal is in the end of the axle tube so the only thing that could be putting pressure on it would be the bearing (hence the bearing retainer question).
[/b]

The bearing retainer stays tigh to the axle and in place. The bearing fails. Let me try ot explain agian. It seems to me that the axel shaft is pushing outward. As the retianer is fixed to teh shaft it in turn pushes the bearing outward against the seal. The seal is held in place by teh retainer plate and thus the bearing chews into the seal and the bearing fails. If left unchecked the axle will disengage from teh vehicel. Not a pretty sight.

Any thoughts????
[/b][/quote]

I think we&#39;re talking apples and oranges. I&#39;m referring to the bearing retainer that is bolted to the end of the axle tube, not the wedding band that is pressed onto the axle shaft. Are you sure this is the correct one?

Since there is no force on the axle shaft other than whatever pulling forces are generated from the outside (nothing inside the axle is pushing the axle shaft) I would think that either you have the wrong retainer plate or the plate is worn to the point that it can&#39;t hold the axle and seal firmly in place.

The other thing would be to check the bearing and see that it is installed the correct way.