PDA

View Full Version : Shackles Bending on CJ

calvynandhobbs
June 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'm having an issue with the CJ7 that I recently purchased. This CJ has a YJ spring conversion. I noticed shortly after I bought it that I was getting a lot of wondering when on the road. I looked underneath and found that both the shackles on the front were bent to the passenger side so my leafs weren't straight. Whoever did the conversion used the original hangers with conversion shackles to accommodate the wider YJ springs. I replaced the front shackle hangers with 2.5" wide rear shackle hangers and put new shackles on the front. They were straight for a few days and now these shackles have bent to the passenger side. It ran great at Silver Lake this past weekend, but the wondering on the road is really annoying. Does anybody have any idea of what is going on? I'm thinking it's something to do with still using the original spring perches rather than wider ones, but I'm just not sure. I also looks like the passenger side spring is right up against the differential and I wonder if that needs to be shaved a little bit to allow the fitment of wider springs. Any help would be appreciated. I have included a few pictures for you to see the problem. Thanks

Roger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/EBBronco/DSC02121.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/EBBronco/DSC02122.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/EBBronco/DSC02123.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/EBBronco/DSC02124.jpg

shawn
June 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
The springs may now be bent after being like that for so long. Don't know whay you could do now to fix it. Maybe take the springs and bushings out and flip them around so the bent side is on the fixed eye side.

calvynandhobbs
June 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the response Shawn. I was hoping that the twist was all in the shackles when I replaced the hangers and shackles, but you may be right. The only thing I worry about with your idea is being able to get the springs to line up at all if I reverse them. If I can't figure anything else out that's probably what I'll try though.

Roger

95geo
June 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM
im not sure if they are poly or not but you might consider replacing your bushings with poly ones(or just new poly ones if they already are) and if you dont get the results you wanted you can either use shorter shackles or install a track bar.

Renegade II
June 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
A reversal stopped the wandering on my CJ8 plow Jeep, but I recessed the shackles upper mount into the frame to help get rid of the twist. It's easy to make a reversal.
[attachmentid=384]
[attachmentid=385]

calvynandhobbs
June 21st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I replaced all the bushings with poly last month when I put the new hangers and shackles on the front so I don't think replacing them again will help at all. It looks like I've got a twist in the spring itself. I didn't think about doing a full shackle reversal. I'll have to give that some thought. With a shackle reversal don't you need a longer slip on the front driveshaft? I still have the stock driveshaft in it and I doubt if it has enough slip to accomodate the shackle reversal. Maybe I'll just change the whole thing and go SOA.

Roger

Renegade II
June 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM
I have never had a problem with the slip yoke on any of my Jeeps. They are all reversed with the stock length slip yoke. I just made sure that the geometry of the springs never changed, that's why the rear shackle is recessed into the frame, unlike a lot of the kits where the rear shackel is entirely below the frame. I also made sure that I recessed the rear high up on the frame so there is very little shackel movement during flexing and so the frame prevents the need for a boomerang shackle. It's easy to do in a few hours, it's just heavy wall square tube, 3/8 strap steel, and steel pipe. Mine are all 11+ years old and still straight, with no other problems.
[attachmentid=389]