PDA

View Full Version : frozen driveshaft

Ridgerunner
June 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
While doin some routine maintinance,I took off my front drive shaft and noticed that the splines wernt sliding. Ive been soaking it with penitrating oil with no luck getting it free. Is it safe to put heat on it, or would this damage any thing lnternally?What a pain in the butt tryin to seperate it with just a vice and muscle power and a BFH. I dont have a boot on it ,maybee it got a little to much water on the canada trip.Hopefully it can be salvaged.Any tips would be great.

Tab
June 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
since its 90 degrees out I doubt its frozen :Ironman: But the splines could be slightly twisted in a spot and its binding there. Heat shoulnt hurt it but it probably won't help if the splines are twisted. If you try heat watch the seals if there is one on the end and watch the grease inside so it don't catch fire.

Kixx007
June 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Send it to Ann Arbor Drive Shaft... They'll take care of you, they're an associate member too.

Renegade II
June 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Most slip yoke splines have a blue plastic/teflon coating on them that will melt if you torch it. Pull the U-joint out and then pop the grease retainer off the yoke and pound the stub out with a brass drift while the yoke is in a vise. I had to do that on an old shaft with the same problem.

Good luck!

Ridgerunner
June 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renegade II &#064; Jun 17 2006, 06&#58;48 AM) 14942</div>

Pull the U-joint out and then pop the grease retainer off the yoke and pound the stub out with a brass drift while the yoke is in a vise.

Good luck&#33;
[/b]

Tried that this morning but with no luck, I&#39;m wondering if driving out of the mounds with just the front shaft may have twisted it. there&#39;s no visual sign of a twist,but if it twisted, would&#39;nt it twist where it meets the female on the yoke end?and I should still be able to drive it out . Might be time to replace it.

lgottler
June 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I&#39;ve had DS&#39;s with a really tight slip before, but nothing a hammer didn&#39;t fix&#33;

If it were mine, I&#39;d try either a bigger hammer or take it to a shop, cuz if you can&#39;t move it, you&#39;ll need work on it anyways...

Good Luck

Lucas

Ridgerunner
June 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Jun 17 2006, 03&#58;42 PM) 14959</div>

I&#39;ve had DS&#39;s with a really tight slip before, but nothing a hammer didn&#39;t fix&#33;

If it were mine, I&#39;d try either a bigger hammer or take it to a shop, cuz if you can&#39;t move it, you&#39;ll need work on it anyways...

Good Luck

Lucas
[/b]
Yea ,It was a tight bugger from day 1. I was beating on it with my 28 oz. framing hammer not budging at all. I&#39;ll try a 5 LB. sledge in the morning. got frustrated today and had to move on to somthin else. No sign of any water behind the grease cap. I&#39;m wondering if it was defective from day one&#33; Its only been wheeled hard 2 or 3 times.