PDA

View Full Version : Shocks or Coilovers

lgottler
June 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I was trying to figure out how to keep my front springs straight....Really, thats where it starts. Then I realize my rear shocks are totally blown out, need some shocks back there...then I want a beefier bumpstop....then I want longer front springs so I can droop more without the spring falling out.....back to keeping front springs straight and not bowed out...

So I come to this question. Do I want to go the coilover route for the front? Are they that much better? What I want is less bounce, more shock.....should I just try an expensive shock first?

I'll move my BDS ones to the back, so I'll need new shocks for the front...

Any suggestions? Its a TJ kinda, with a radius arm setup in the front. No concern about making brackets etc...

Lucas

95geo
June 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Jun 12 2006, 09&#58;27 PM) 14842</div>

I was trying to figure out how to keep my front springs straight....Really, thats where it starts. Then I realize my rear shocks are totally blown out, need some shocks back there...then I want a beefier bumpstop....then I want longer front springs so I can droop more without the spring falling out.....back to keeping front springs straight and not bowed out...

So I come to this question. Do I want to go the coilover route for the front? Are they that much better? What I want is less bounce, more shock.....should I just try an expensive shock first?

I&#39;ll move my BDS ones to the back, so I&#39;ll need new shocks for the front...

Any suggestions? Its a TJ kinda, with a radius arm setup in the front. No concern about making brackets etc...

Lucas
[/b]

coilovers will run you about 600 per corner, they take a lot of time to tune just right but once they are they work awesome and pretty much never wear out (fully rebuildable). my suggestion to fix your front would be to make sure the coil buckets are perfectly paralell and when the suspension moves it doesnt sway from side to side (kind of impossible with a track bar) too much but a longer track bar will help this. for rear shocks just get some bilstein 5100s or equivalent that have a built in bump stop.

lgottler
June 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I&#39;d like to have someone tell me that I&#39;ll notice a huge difference by going to a great shock vs. the 40 dollar std offroad shock. I&#39;ll use my front BDS shocks in the rear, I&#39;m going to cut into the bed a bit to fit the longer travel shocks, and the different post top mount they have...cuz I&#39;ll save a buck on shocks.

Yeah, they better make my Jeep ride like a caddy for 600/corner. Thats what I want to know, is it just bling? Or are they significantly better that they cost that much&#33;??

I wanted to add a 4.5-5" coil in there, move my coil bucket up and out a touch more, lower the Jeep a tad. But you hit it when you said straight....my radius arms tilt the coil pocket away and arc the spring. I want to remove my inside bumpstop, cuz it hits once in a while because the spring bows out. But if I can move my bumpstop outside the coil, then it can bow all it wants. I might pre-bow the spring backwards, so when the axle drops the spring goes straight instead of arcing more.

I&#39;m also thinking of adding a sort of secondary coil, shock, bumpstop to my radius arm (new one). So, when I get to the last 2" of travel, I hit into another something that increases resistance before I hit my main bumpstop.

Last week at the mounds I was going a little too fast for my Jeeps suspension and hit some major woops and actually jammed the tire into the fender, bending it a bit, and at full stuff, I had about 2" compression of the bumpstop before I hit anything, so I know I hit it waaay too hard. I want to hit that kind of stuff and have more control.

Lucas

Creative Fab
June 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Consider this, the Baja trucks run coil over supsensions at 100 + mph across the Desert&#33;

I am saving my pennies for my future 4 corner coil over setup.

Timberwolf
June 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
What you need for that last 2" of bumpstop compression are, either air or hydraulic bumpstops.
They are adjustable for hieght, so they come into play just when you want them to.
They work great in conjuction with coil-overs, as well as just coils.

As Bryce said, the coil-overs take a bit to tune, but once they are tuned, you can&#39;t beat them.
They are adjustable in every way. Ride height, compression, rebound, and spring rate. Also the coils will
not "bow out" like your current coils do.

rtikql8
June 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Depending on who you buy coil-overs from, you can get them close to "tuned" right out of the box. These guys sell hundreds of them, and they pretty much know what spring rates will get you extremely close if not right on the money depending on what vehicle youare putting them on.

For instance: If you call Polyperformance and tell them what vehicle you&#39;re putting them on, how much travel you want, etc. They&#39;ll make a recommendation.

Also, there is a kit for TJ&#39;s that is a bolt-on bracket with the Coil-overs available.

lgottler
June 15th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Poly Performance has some 2.0 Coilovers for 400 or so (2 springs too) each. For some high end Fox shocks about 200 each for shocks. Bilstein shocks are about the same for 7100&#39;s.

Anyone recommend one or the other? Fox 2.0? Bilsteins? Other? I kinda like that option of rebuilding and the external reservoir is cool, but is it really req&#39;d?

I think I&#39;ll try some good shocks first. I might as well do the rear also, because the stud is nonstandard and if I make a mount, I&#39;ll make something that will accept a standard shock eye.

Yeah, the front does need an air/hydro bumpstop. I think I&#39;ll try to add that only to the front.

I was washing it last night so I could put it away for the summer&#33; :cry-river: and was looking at the bumpstops and I think it will work pretty good if I add some new bumpstops directly under the frame and ditch the ones inside the coils. I also think I&#39;ll make new spring mounts on the top of the radius arms so I can get them at the right angle.

New thread...

Lucas

95geo
June 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Jun 15 2006, 09&#58;43 PM) 14904</div>

Poly Performance has some 2.0 Coilovers for 400 or so (2 springs too) each. For some high end Fox shocks about 200 each for shocks. Bilstein shocks are about the same for 7100&#39;s.

Anyone recommend one or the other? Fox 2.0? Bilsteins? Other? I kinda like that option of rebuilding and the external reservoir is cool, but is it really req&#39;d?

I think I&#39;ll try some good shocks first. I might as well do the rear also, because the stud is nonstandard and if I make a mount, I&#39;ll make something that will accept a standard shock eye.

Yeah, the front does need an air/hydro bumpstop. I think I&#39;ll try to add that only to the front.

I was washing it last night so I could put it away for the summer&#33; :cry-river: and was looking at the bumpstops and I think it will work pretty good if I add some new bumpstops directly under the frame and ditch the ones inside the coils. I also think I&#39;ll make new spring mounts on the top of the radius arms so I can get them at the right angle.

New thread...

Lucas
[/b]

i would NOT give your business to poly performance, call shaffers and ask for dave. hell give you a better deal and 100x better customer service.

nitro bumps will run you 200 per corner and are not needed in your case, they would be a bandaid

bilsteins vs. fox boils down to looks or preferances, they are both high quality and fully adjustable. if your going with "good shocks" spend the extra few bucks and get them with threaded bodies so you will have your shocks for coilovers if/when you decide to go that route.

if you coilover the front and still have leafs in the rear i will poke at you every chance i get, and ill find ways to put you in a spots where the rear is hopping like tigger until you at least link the rear and have balanced suspension.

some of my suggestions: get bilstein 5100 or 5150s, make sure you get shocks with built in bump stops and they are mounted as close to perpendicular to the suspension swing as possible. link the rear with coils, get the right spring rates on all 4 corners and it will work well. you want at least 4" compression, if you want to jump or haul over the choppy stuff then youll need about twice that and/or really expensive bypass style shocks that have high and low speed damping. as far as droop, the more you have, the more your shocks can do their job of slowing things down on the landings

http://xs201.xs.to/xs201/06210/james.jpg

http://xs301.xs.to/xs301/06210/DSC_1090.jpg

lgottler
June 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I wouldn&#39;t pay 200 for bumpstops... I was thinking along the lines of homemade ones if I did them, my brother-in-law works for a hydraulic rebuild place, so I was going to give him a list of wants....again, if I did that.

Whats wrong with my leafs in the rear? :D I&#39;ve got some work back there, not sure what I want to do yet. Was going to add some new springs with more arc, get my shackle up higher and tweak my anti-wrap bar. But it works great&#33; No hop, more flex than the front, just my driveshaft angles stink and my uptravel is not good, same with the droop. Its really the DS thats the problem back there, if I get more than 2" droop, it binds, 2" of uptravel and my tires destroy my fenders (twisty). I&#39;m going to hack the fenders off, lower it a tad so I get more droop and try to think of something to get more angle from my DS...tires can droop great, but only one side at a time&#33;

I might, say again, might link it back there. But if I did, I am trying to do something different, just because&#33;

At least I&#39;ve got time to think about the shocks. Jeeps heavy, I like to drive fast, and it would be cool to be able to do the dunes faster&#33;

hmmmm

Lucas

lgottler
July 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Well, did some more measuring and thinking...

I went ahead and bought a star on Pirate, tired of searching via Google (slow and hard to find any useful info), but search via Pirate is great&#33; So using that and doing alot of reading...

I think I&#39;m going to try the BBCS? shocks. 99 a pop, but it seams like darn near everyone that tried them liked them. I think I&#39;ll keep my springs, bumpstops, everything the same in the front and see what the shocks do to the ride. Then if I still need some changes, I&#39;ll go from there. Getting the rear more in line with the front travel wise I think will be my short term goal. I can&#39;t change my WB until after I get the doubler in &#39;cuz I don&#39;t want to pay to have my DS lengthened or shortened twice&#33;

The rear is the PITA&#33; I might have to put insurance back on it and drive it to the shop and do some work. I still don&#39;t have electricity (or siding&#33;) on the garage, so I&#39;m still in the dark ages&#33; I won&#39;t go nuts like I want to&#33; I&#39;ll have to do the following back there: A TON&#33;

Well, if the wife lets me go over Labor Day to Canada, I have some work to do in addition to the house&#33;