PDA

View Full Version : xj driveline prob.

CheapthrillB2
June 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
so we have an 94 XJ with a 3" rough Country,
rear has 1.5" add-a-leafs and 3 inch blocks, we had this setup on his 89 XJ
the only diff. i can find is that the 89 had the dana and the 94 has a 8 1/4

when i got the swap done the driveshaft binds at the slipyoke to driveshaft, can't even get it to bolt onto the axle, we had no clearance probs with the 89, i know the set-up on the 8 1/4 is a little different

anybody got any ideas, i am installin a t-case drop spacers and goin to get some degree shims for the axle but i don't think it will be enough, he can't afford a slip yoke elimantor kit, anybody got any suggestions other then the kit

WhiteRhino
June 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM
There are two reasons for more binding. First, the 8.25 probably has a longer pinion shaft which puts the yoke closer to transfer case. Meaning you have less distance to make the angle. Second, your first setup may have had the pinion angle pointed upward towards the transfer case. Combine these two minor changes together and it may make enough difference to cause your problem.

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but 4 1/2" of lift is way to much without the SYE.

Your only other options are to cut your spring perches off, rotate your axle up and reweld the perches. Now when ou do this, you will have uneven angles on your ujoints which will create vibrations.