PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Truck brake upgrade?

lgottler
June 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
My DD and tow vehicle is a '94 Suburban 2500 with Hydroboost. The brakes suck. I can't lock them up (well, ABS so...) and add a trailer and it is lacking in a big way! I've already gone through the brake system and it all checks out fine.

Anyone know of any replacement calipers or something for this year/size Chevy? The aftermarket kits for new calipers and rotors are 1000+ dollars!!!!

My parents 2wd Yukon stops absolutely fantastic compared to this!

Lucas

Renegade II
June 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM
If your sure it's not a mechanical problem you might want to look into a good set of carbon-metallic pads. My Hummer has hydro-boost and it stops on a dime with Hawk Pads (OEM pads for H1), and it's a 7500Lb vehicle. No problems stopping with a 5500Lb trailer with the trailer brake controller set at 25% either. Mine were $97 per axle set from the dealer, it might be cheaper for your application, or from Summit. Power slot rotors with the new carbon metallic pads would help also. Good luck!

MuddyPaws
June 2nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
Yea, lots of times just changing the brand of pads makes a night and day difference. Organic pads grip better sometimes but wear faster and are prone to glazing due to heat. Metallic pads last longer but don't stop as well and tend to squeel a bit when hot.

lgottler
June 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
Brake pads....hmmm I always request the ultra cheap ones because long ago someone told me they do wear faster, but they stop much better. I just put on new pads in the front.

Well....I suppose I could try turning the rotors and put on new, better pads...just in case the rotor had been glazed!

Lucas